Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Laptop internet problems

0 0

My girlfriend's computer will not connect to the internet. It used to but just stopped suddenly. I can't figure out why, can anyone help?

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1525. The two network adapters listed are:

• Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card
  • Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

It's connected with a cable directly from the modem to the computer so it's not using wireless.

When I look in the network and sharing center, two networks come up when it's connected with the cable. Something called "network 3"(private network) and an "unidentified network"(public network). When the cord is disconnected, no connections are showing up. It gives local connection only on both of them but no internet.

When I view the network and sharing on my computer (which the internet works fine on) there's just one "network 4" (private network) on my computer and has Local and Internet connection.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

0 0

Verify that the connection is using DHCP. Try repairing the connection by right-clicking on it and choosing that option. Disable the wireless network adapter. Check the routing table by going to the command prompt and typing "route print". Fix anything you see wrong with that. Try disabling and re-enabling the Ethernet connection, or uninstalling and reinstalling it. Remove the "existing networks" that are showing up (if you can) and let it re-detect the network. Sucks that you're using Vista.

0 0

lol wow, fixed it already. I just disabled one of the connections (the public one) then went through the diagnose and repair thing. Thanks a lot zephyr.

And yeah, I'm currently using vista and dual booted with ubuntu (yeah I know lol). I'm making final preparations to switch vista with xp and ubuntu with Slackware though so I'm hoping everything goes well with that.

0 0

Hmm that seems to only be a temporary solution to the matter. Have to re-do it every time the cable is unplugged and plugged back in (which is a lot since we have to share a modem until I can find my router installation cd lol).

I'll try looking around more but I'll probably just get her to call tech support lol

0 0

ShapeShifters wrote: Hmm that seems to only be a temporary solution to the matter. Have to re-do it every time the cable is unplugged and plugged back in

Do what? The repair on the connection? That would probably be because it's a bit slow in getting a DHCP address. One of the main things (other than flushing the ARP cache and stopping / restarting the connection) that a repair does is renew the DHCP lease. Try giving it a static address in the same subnet as the DHCP ones that it gets assigned.

ShapeShifters wrote: (which is a lot since we have to share a modem until I can find my router installation cd lol).

Umm… no? Look at the model number on the label, go look up (via Google) the default user and pass for that model, and try it. If that doesn't work, then push the Reset button on the back of the router and use the default user and pass.

0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote: [quote]ShapeShifters wrote: Hmm that seems to only be a temporary solution to the matter. Have to re-do it every time the cable is unplugged and plugged back in

Do what? The repair on the connection? That would probably be because it's a bit slow in getting a DHCP address. One of the main things (other than flushing the ARP cache and stopping / restarting the connection) that a repair does is renew the DHCP lease. Try giving it a static address in the same subnet as the DHCP ones that it gets assigned.

ShapeShifters wrote: (which is a lot since we have to share a modem until I can find my router installation cd lol).

Umm… no? Look at the model number on the label, go look up (via Google) the default user and pass for that model, and try it. If that doesn't work, then push the Reset button on the back of the router and use the default user and pass.[/quote]

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Figured I'd need the installation disk for it to work but I guess not?

0 0

ShapeShifters wrote: Figured I'd need the installation disk for it to work but I guess not? There's nothing that needs installing. SOHO routers have a web interface that you use for administration; once the router is reset to defaults, it can be accessed and configured through any normal web browser at the default IP address for that router.

0 0

Oh I should mention that it's a wireless router if that matters. Probably doesn't though. I'm gonna check out what you've said and see if it works. Thanks :)

0 0

ShapeShifters wrote: Oh I should mention that it's a wireless router if that matters. It doesn't. :)