Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Compaq

0 0

Hi all,

So I was given this old Compaq Evo N400c, and it currently has SuSe Linux 8.0 (i386) with Kernel 2.4.18

The root and only user (fmacias) passwords are unknown, and there is no Cd drive to boot from. It uses LILO, because windows is also installed somewhere on it, although doesn't want to show up. Now I've gone into the BIOS dozens of times to get my USB drive to boot, so I could just install Arch over everything, but I can't get it to boot from USB. I enabled USB Legacy, which should allow me to boot from USB, but it doesn't show up in the boot list. and USB is powered on at startup, because my usb drive's led turns on.

Any ideas?

The specs if the help are:

Compaq Evo N400c Intel Pentium III : 700 MHz stepping=6 Cache (L1/L2) = 32/256 KB Mem = 128 MB ROM date : 05/03/2001 Rom family = 686AW

That was taken from the BIOS info.

Thanks, naitsabes

0 0

naitsabes wrote:

1. there is no Cd drive to boot from.
  2. It uses LILO, because windows is also installed somewhere on it, although doesn't want to show up.
  3. I can't get it to boot from USB. I enabled USB Legacy,
  4. it doesn't show up in the boot list.

Are you referring to the boot list that allows you to boot from HDD, CD, or other options, or the boot list in LILO? What does show up in the former (first mentioned in that question) boot list? USB drives sometimes show up as hard drives in the boot list. F10 is the key to press to get to the boot menu as the computer starts, just in case you didn't know; it's also accessible through the BIOS, but F10 lets you pick it "on-the-fly" instead of permanently changing it.

Also, a BIOS update couldn't hurt. Here's a link:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/EvoNotebook/us/download/20615.html

From this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/421681-problems-installing-xp-compaq-evo.html

… But, I'm assuming you already researched this some on your own.

0 0

I'm referring to the list allowing you to boot from HDD, CD, etc. LILO has the options of Linux, Linux Failsafe, and windows; though windows is no longer installed. and the admin pass is lost as I said so no go getting into SuSe. I don't think I could even install that BIOS update if the link actually lead anywhere, because I can't get to any possible command-line/gui on the damn thing. All I need is some way to support usb, then I'll be fine.

At this point, I'm thinking of just taking it apart and replacing the harddrive…

0 0

naitsabes wrote: I don't think I could even install that BIOS update if the link actually lead anywhere, because I can't get to any possible command-line/gui on the damn thing.

You'll have to hunt for that one. The link I posted was from the source I found.

All I need is some way to support usb, then I'll be fine.

At this point, I'm thinking of just taking it apart and replacing the harddrive… You didn't post exactly what is listed in your boot list. Instead of replacing the hard drive, you could get a converter to plug it into a desktop computer… then, just install Linux and GRUB/LILO there.

0 0

You can get an external hard drive case for around $10-20 USD, depending on how nice you want it to look etc. They're dirt cheap. Newegg sells plenty, but you can always just go to Wal-Mart or whatever

I got one from best buy ages ago for $30… I don't use them anymore, though… I've had issues with them. It's probably cheapest just to get a cheap case from newegg.com, they all do the same thing

0 0

… It's a laptop that he can't boot from USB or CD on. How does your post offer any insight with the topic of booting from USB?

Banned
0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote: … It's a laptop that he can't boot from USB or CD on. How does your post offer any insight with the topic of booting from USB?

1. Take out hard disk
  2. Insert hard disk in external carrier
  3. Use other PC to manage data.

I guess this is what he meant.

0 0

Considering it's an older system, I seriously doubt it has a SATA drive. In which case, you're going to need a 2.5" connector for your external case. Not saying they're not out there, but good luck finding one in a store near you.

My main point, though, was this: How are you going to plug up the external case? USB? :P