Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Trouble converting from NTFS to FAT32

0 0

I can't get my external HD(it's a FreeAgent 500gb ext HD) to convert from NTFS to FAT32. First I tried going into disk management on windows and try to format it but it never gave me the option to change it to FAT32. Then I got a program called Partition Manager 8.5 Enterprise Server Edition and when I try to change then type there it doesn't work either. I've taken a screenshot of this one not working: markuphttp://img139.imageshack.us/my.php?image=problemmf4.jpg

Any help?

0 0

just wondering, why would you want fat32?

maybe the partition size is too big.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

why do you want to convert to fat32, ntfs is better (in my opinion)

anyway, you can do it through command prompt by typing: convert letter: /fs:fat32 where 'letter' is your drive letter.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: why do you want to convert to fat32, ntfs is better (in my opinion)

anyway, you can do it through command prompt by typing: convert letter: /fs:fat32 where 'letter' is your drive letter.

That's interesting cus I could've sworn that that works for fat32 to NTFS, but not the other way around seeing as converting to fat32 is a one way action. If you want to convert ntfs to fat32 you'll either need special software for it, or reformat the entire thing. Either way, it wont be good for any data on it since using software for it is risky and can destroy data on the disk. I say just make a backup of anything on it if you can and reformat it if you really insist on using fat32.

0 0

COM wrote: That's interesting cus I could've sworn that that works for fat32 to NTFS, but not the other way around True. You can't convert a NTFS drive to FAT32 without formatting it.

0 0

dex_poet wrote: just wondering, why would you want fat32?

This. Why do you want to?

0 0

Older systems don't support NTFS ;)

0 0

I'm changing it to fat32 so I can use it as a shared harddrive between windows and linux.

The problem is it isn't formating for some reason. Windows disk management doesn't let me change it when formating and the program I tried keeps getting an error when I try.

also losing all of my current files on the hd isn't a worry. it's only the default stuff on there currently since it's brand new and i can just copy all those files to the c drive.

0 0

WinME bootdisk? xD that always works ;)

0 0

can you elaborate on what that is. why would a windows me boot disk help in this situation?

0 0

Just run format from the bootdisk and you'll have a FAT diskā€¦ Damn, I just realized that wont work for a USB HDD :p sorry

0 0

Doesn't the Linux distro you're using support NTFS (or have a patch available to add support)?

0 0

I've heard that ubuntu is now able to support this format from someone but they weren't sure. I also wanna use this to access/save things when on backtrack to so still a Fat32 format would be better

also, thanks for the suggestion uberon even if it doesn't work :P

Admin from hell
0 0

Easy enough:http://www.compuapps.com/Download/swissknife/swissknife.exe Used it many times works great.

0 0

I found my solution to the problem. Windows, ubuntu and backtrack all support ntfs so I don't even need to both formating it lol

thanks for all your suggestions guys