Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Weirdo Windows and Mac program won't work in Wine

0 0

Well, it's not like that's a real surprise. I don't really care, I usually have everything I need working directly in Linux, and I don't fret if stuff doesn't work in Wine. Unfortunately, my professor basically requires me to use this program to pass his class (which I am currently failing). I am in need of knowledge regarding reverse engineering source code. Some of the code is available freely, but the majority of it is encrypted or something. One of the problems is, the program is really weird. There's one thing where you enter your name and what class you are taking from him, and then you get the option to open one of his other files which contain the actual stuff. I think that the program is just used to interpret and display the data in the second file.

I don't know what he programmed the program in, but I do know that the program is a complete piece of feces and that he used some bizarrely obscure development program to do it in, and I think that development program used some other obscure language. However, I think if I were to ask him about that, I would be ok, and I could always find more information on the web. however, he refuses to give me the source code, which is reasonable, because that would probably allow me to pass the class easily and get strait A's without even trying.

When I try to run the program in Wine, I get past the first two screens but then I get into another part in the program which is really weird. It doesn't run fullscreen in Windo$, but it gets rid of the start bar or whatever you want to call that. The panel at the bottom of the screen. And then the program runs, but I don't think it's runnng the way a typical fullscreen program would run, ie, in a window with the resolution changed for that window. Here is the code that I am able to see:

…Ok, scratch that, I used to be able to look at some of the code, but now I can't at all. I think it's binary, or at least that's what gEdit tells me, and I'm having troubles with Vi.

So, can anyone help me with this sort of thing? It's not malicious or anything, I swear. I have previous knowledge of a few scripting languages and xhtml, and a little bit of XML and a really obscure markup language that isn't used for anything. I can quickly pick whatever other thing, such as C or whatever, that I need if I have to.

0 0

So, it runs fine under Windows, but not under Wine? Seems as though it could require certain Windows files that would not be included with a standard installation of Windows, eh? That's all you get on that.

Don't double-post a thread… ever. And cheating only makes you dumber. Have fun.

0 0

eeek, I didn't mean to do that. I just went back to edit it….. oh well. Sorry, mods, etc. A certain file, hm? Well, that's great. now to figure out what "certain file' that is. It's not like that will be difficult or anything. I don't want to cheat, I just want to pass, and I can't go spending three hours a day in the computer lab.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

sorry this is off-topic, but i was just watching death note and i thought it'd be kinda funny if someone made a profile called L with the L avatar. odd coinidence.

0 0

L wrote: A certain file, hm? Well, that's great. now to figure out what "certain file' that is. It's not like that will be difficult or anything.

Certain files… plural. As for it being difficult, you don't even know what language it's written in. How will you know what dependencies / requirements you're looking for?

I don't want to cheat, I just want to pass, and I can't go spending three hours a day in the computer lab.

Why not? There are those of us that have to spend at least 8-10 hours per day on the computer. If you're not willing to spend the time to learn the class, which would subsequently help you to pass, then I don't see why we should help you learn how to cheat. That just shows how much you plan to contribute to the community.

0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote: And cheating only makes you dumber. Have fun.

oh how true…..i cheated all through high school….and ya….i dont know crap

0 0

besides L kinda sucks i like more the KIRA guy in Death Note.

0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote: Certain files… plural. As for it being difficult, you don't even know what language it's written in. How will you know what dependencies / requirements you're looking for?

Why not? There are those of us that have to spend at least 8-10 hours per day on the computer. If you're not willing to spend the time to learn the class, which would subsequently help you to pass, then I don't see why we should help you learn how to cheat. That just shows how much you plan to contribute to the community.

You seem to be getting the completely wrong message. I'm not going to cheat. The reason that I can't have the source code is that I could use it to cheat, and even though we know each other and have mutual respect for each other, he will not give me the source code based on principle. I just used that as an example to exlain why I can't just get the source code from him.

The bit about the programming language is a fair point, so I'll check into that tomorrow.

And as for Kira being cooler than L: that may be true, but the guy that plays L in the films is far more attractive than the guy that plays Kira.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Folk Theory wrote: besides L kinda sucks i like more the KIRA guy in Death Note.

me too.

0 0

Post the exe and I'll check dependencies for you.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: [quote]Folk Theory wrote: besides L kinda sucks i like more the KIRA guy in Death Note.

me too.[/quote]

ahah WHATEVER…."L" FTW!

0 0

Kira may be better than L but they both really rock and I think that L is definitely better than Near or Mello.

Banned
0 0

Fuck you cis_slayer. Just, GTFO.