Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

DVD+RW Problems (Been stuck for 4 months??)

T3h 1 and only DosKey
0 0

Right i have been trying for the past 4 month to fix my uncles dvd+rw drive. I know to everyone that might sound out of the question to take that long but there are reasons. When they first showed me what was wrong with it which was every time you tried to record a dvd a quater of the way through the computer started restarting itself. I could not find out what was wrong with it untill i got a new dvd+rw drive for them and saw that the only disk drive that was inside the tower was set as slave. So i changed the slave to master and tried doing more dvd's. It got half way through transcoding and cut out but i realised that the slave being set at master was what was wrong with it because while i didn't know what was wrong with the recorder i installed ace codecs which after i set the slave to master and uninstalled ace codecs (Because the codecs with nero was conflicting with the ace codecs.). Everything worked fine after that and we had no issues untill he installed a vista transformation pack for xp (Which he installed wrong)(The OS which the dvd+rw worked on was media center edition sp2). Everything went to pot and i had to install xp home (XP home was the OS that was on this pc from the factory). I installed everything fresh so nothing should have went wrong but after i installed power2go express (Power2go express was already on the pc from the factory) it wont copy again and it keeps on restarting again like it did when the dvd+rw was set as slave and now i am exhausted of it and can't think of what else it could be. I am open for suggestions if anyone has any ?

The Manager
0 0

Are there any other problems? Have you tried getting a hardware monitor to see if the problem is not the drive but the processor? I have the same problem when using DivX converters and attempting to do other things on my P4 3GHz HT Processor. It was over heating and shutting down the computer as to not fry the processor.

The way I fixed this problem is I shut off the power and drained all excess power (hold power button when everything is unplugged for 10 seconds) then I proceeded to remove the CPU fan. Here I noticed that I had forgotten a very important thing to keeping a processor cool. I had not installed the Silver Thermal Compound that I bought for the machine. So I cleaned off the Factory Thermal Compound that comes on the Heat Sink and then put the Silver Thermal Compound on to give the cooling more change to clear out. This helped immensly…My processor now runs at about 110F when ripping DVDs from AVIs while surfing the web and doing many other things where as it was peaking at nearly 150F then shutting down. This is your best bet I would say. look at CPU temperatures.

Banned
0 0

Do you have virtual drives? (PowerISO, Daemon Tools and programs like that, are/were they used?)

Admin from hell
0 0

The most common problem that I've run into with dvd drives is your DMA settings. Go to your device manager then select ide ata/atapi contollers, Go to primary ide channel,advanced settings and select dma if available in the transfer mode. This will help consume less CPU cycles.

T3h 1 and only DosKey
0 0

Actuallly it sounds as if it could be the coolant. The same thing is happening as what used to on my old computer. I never realised or even suspected because the pc is relitavly new. Since erm the factory balls'ed the Drive as being set as slave when it's the only drive… NEVER EVER get a Esystem. (P.S I will tell you what happens after i pout some new gel on it) (I have some upstairs.. Well i think anyways.) It's stressfull :whoa: Appreciate you getting back to me with to all that did (Note: This forum isn't finish untill everything works fine) ;)

T3h 1 and only DosKey
0 0

Nope, i have got some new silocone paste on the processor and exacly the same thing is happening at exacly the same time. I have tested the dvd+rw drives in my computer and i know that works. I dont know what to do and i need for people to give ideas and ask for whatever specifications you need. :(

0 0

i dont know what the problem with it is but PLEASE don't throw it out if u happen to not need it anymore. there are parts in dvd rw's that i really need. please send me a pm/email w/e if ur gonna throw it out. ill pay for shipping and shit if u mail it over to me

T3h 1 and only DosKey
0 0

This is old… lol