Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Servers, and web site?!?

0 0

I was going to make a site for my dads business. I was wondering about how hosting works. I was thinking he uses servers in his practise and could they be used to host the site?? I really didn't know how getting on domain name and hosting works and was hoping someone could enlighten me?!?

0 0

setting up a domain is simple, just go to a place like www.go-daddy.com and buy a domain name. It takes em about a day to set up. I just bought www.blackacesecurity.com from them like last week. Works for me, plus they call you buy to make sure everything is working alright.

0 0

then just put stuff in the www or public_html etc folder on the server and hey presto :D

0 0

Thanks guys!! What happens at the end of a year, if thats how long you buy it for, do they just notify you to buy it again??

Are those files somewere on the server then and they just on the web then??

0 0

I bought 1 year of a domain for like a total cost of like $9.20. Im sure they remind you to rebuy the domain name. The domain year starts from when you buy it, not at the beginning of the year.

0 0

How does the getting files to work with domain work, if your using your own server?

0 0

Is all FTP or you can make a shell script for it

0 0

What? :S

0 0

well if you are going to make a server from your own box, then im only speculating, but… To run a server from your work or something im assuming you need a static IP address ( most isp's give dynamic so you will need to change that - talk to your isp). All a domain name is is a dedirect from your static ip address. so lets say your ip address is 222.222.2.222 and your domain name is www.google.com, when people go to www.google.com, they are really just going to 222.222.2.222 So all your files can be uploaded from the servers HD

0 0

You mean the files are uploaded to your domain site? (not really needing you server then)

0 0

no. all a domain name is is a redirect to your static ip address

0 0

I see, 1.)so you get your server hooked up with your isp. 2.)You put the files on your server. 3.)You get a domain name.

Is it easy hooking your server and domain up, thtough the domain name site presume?

0 0

It's not quite as easy as what these fellows have described for you.

You need to run an HTTP Daemon. The most noteable of them all is Apache, but there are other alternatives. Within the configuration file, generally located in version 1.3 at /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf and in version 2 at /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf, you'll need to edit two sections.

For one, you'll want to create/edit any lines consisting of Listen or BindAddress in Apache13 to be: Listen 1.2.3.4:80 or BindAdress 1.2.3.4:80

with the servers Public IP and the port you choose to operate with, (80 suggested, if necessary to switch, use 81 or a number over 1024)

In Apache2, use the same lines, but you can only use Listen. BindAddress is depreciated.

Also, you'll need to create a Virtual Host for your domain. This isn't totally necessary, but it allows for cleanliness and makes your domain's files more insular, (important when scripting and security are more crucial.) On Apache13, there will be an example for this near the bottom. You'll want to read the apache documentation to do this correctly, of course. Apache2 will have an include file at the bottom linking to /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd-virtualhost.conf or something similar. Uncomment that line, and edit that file to add virtual host data.

The second half of all this is DNS. Although it is possible to use your domain registrar's DNS servers, as long as you're using your own servers for hosting, it's best to run your DNS server locally as well.

The most common NAMED is BIND. You'll basically create a DNS Zone, and within that create A records linking your IP to the domain name, CName records linking your hostname to your domain name, (the hostname should be a fully qualified domain name on the server, anyway,) MX records should be unnecessary unless you're running mailing daemons, and NS records linking your nameservers to your IP/hostname.

You'll want two nameservers, running on the same Daemon. They should be something along the lines of ns1. and ns2.yourdomain.tld. This is difficult to accomplish the initial setup, however, as you must glue the nameserver's own domains to their IPs to begin with. There are too many queries back and forth to follow logically, so this may be a place to ask for more help when the time comes. Each nameserver will ideally have it's own bound IP.*

*If you're just running a little computer in the basement as a server, don't try and run your website off of it. Please. You'll want a decent connection from a decent provider, and at least 5 IPs. Real network hardware helps, as well. If you don't have any of this, just purchase a hosting plan from some other company. It's not worth the effort if you'll have to provide support for products you don't understand, have to work with hardware that's basically inept.. Just purchase hosting.

I'd say it's not worth the effort for you. PM me for a customized hosting plan on premium hardware.

0 0

Any other questions?

0 0

Is that is just for linuX?

0 0

The choice of operating system doesn't change the types of daemons and work required. You'll still need an HTTPD and a NAMED, though they can be hosted elsewhere.

Microsoft has IIS, it's HTTPD, and it's own nameserver application that are included in server editions of its operating systems.