Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

120v to 24v Transformer

0 0

Does anyone have a recommendation where I can buy a reliable 120v 24v transformer for under $30? I've been looking around online, and all of the transformers in that range seem to have mixed reviews, so I thought I might be able to find someone with personal experience in this area on HBH. I plan to use the transformer coupled with a capacitor corrected bridge rectifier and a resistor to convert the 120 Vrms that comes out of a wall outlet in the US to a 12v DC signal.

Thanks.

0 0

I have no EE knowledge, but I hearsay that licking them while plugged in is a good test of quality. B)

Evil Sorcerer
4,025 18

Ask on hackaday or pm techb

0 0

…Hackaday has been inactive for years and techb shows up once in a blue moon for 5 minutes and months in between each visit.

Ask CarbonLifeForm in #hackery in the IRC.

Evil Sorcerer
4,025 18

Hackaday is still very active.

Evil Sorcerer
4,025 18

Hackaday is still very active.

0 0

Arabian wrote: I have no EE knowledge, but I hearsay that licking them while plugged in is a good test of quality. B)

Haha

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

0 0

Mordak wrote: Hackaday is still very active.

haven't seen him post in a very long time. Last login was in December.

0 0

I'm not sure if the hackaday from hackaday.com is the same as HBH's, but the one here has not logged in since mid-December, and rarely posts outside the shoutbox before disappearing again for weeks. 12 posts hardly makes a member 'active'.

0 0

Why not just use a wall wart for the full conversion? All of them already have bridge rectifiers and plenty of amps for most stuff.

Even at that, if you wanted to do this all yourself, you'll need a 120vac to 12vdc transformer a full wave rectifier and a smoothing cap.

You can find plans here: http://engknowledge.com/power_supply_design.aspx

Or you can buy one. I would get it from a supplier like digikey or radioshack. I've seen people sell stuff on ebay with counterfeit parts. You might even be able to hit up some thrift stores and flea markets for supper cheap hardware shopping.

0 0

techb wrote: Why not just use a wall wart for the full conversion? All of them already have bridge rectifiers and plenty of amps for most stuff.

I'm going to be taking Electronics I next year, and I'll have to do something similar in lab where we build a 24V power supply, so I figured that I might as well take this opportunity to get ahead of the game and build everything myself.

0 0

Sounds good, and yeah, one of the first things any EE class is going to do is make your own power supply. That's one of the first things you learn. I will also assume you'll start with analog circuits first, then move on to logic gates and flip-flops, then either FPGA, ARM, AVR, or some industrial control systems. At least it's like that here in the USA.

0 0

techb wrote: Sounds good, and yeah, one of the first things any EE class is going to do is make your own power supply. That's one of the first things you learn. I will also assume you'll start with analog circuits first, then move on to logic gates and flip-flops, then either FPGA, ARM, AVR, or some industrial control systems. At least it's like that here in the USA.

Integrated circuits, discrete structures, and computer systems courses are all readily available online through many .edu classes.

0 0

Arabian wrote: Integrated circuits, discrete structures, and computer systems courses are all readily available online through many .edu classes.

Here is an open course ware for EE from MIT. It's free and online.