Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

my screen is set at 4-Bit

0 0

Hey everyone, i want to know why this is happening and how to fix, please. I installed Winborg 2010 on my laptop, it installed all drivers "correctly" but by default it set my monitor to 4-bit color and 640x480 i think, or some resolution near those numbers. i downloaded the correct drivers from ASUS website but made no difference. so i uninstalled the driver and rebooted, loeded perfectly into 1024x768 and 32-Bit color. i installed the appropriat ASUS driver and it went back to 4-Bit. so i uninstalled again. its working at 32-bit now, but it still seems like a bit blury or sumting, and wen i reboot it keeps asking to install the drivers, but i keep ignoring it cuz if i install it will go back to prehistoric 4-Bit. Any help is much appreciated.

0 0

Probably because it's defaulting back to a VESA graphics driver that supports 1024x768 @ 32bpp when you uninstall the graphics driver.

Laptop model and specifically the GPU vendor/version/model etrc would give us a bit more information.

As it stands there is nothing to indicate that the drivers installed incorrectly, so you're saying you have no options to increase the resolution/colour depth?

Jim,

0 0

yea, thats it. with the driver uninstalled i can change resolution and color depth, but when i install the driver that ASUS provides me with, or the one automatically installed, it defaults back to the 4-bit and i'm not able to change resolution or color depth. Laptop/Notebook is an ASUS K50IJ

0 0

There are a few threads on this around the ASUS forums for other Laptops of a similar generation to yours with the exact same issue.

ASUS's official line - or should I say, lame excuse is - that they don't support Windows XP for these products.

ASUS Forum

Either way, I found a small blog post about someone who had downgraded from Vista to Windows XP on the same laptop but reported no problems…

SEOROOT Blog

Don't know if the links provided there are different drivers, so sorry if you already know about all this.

Also, just to be clear, I assume this is probably Windows XP 32bit that you're running rather than the 64bit version. No point using drivers designed for 32bit on 64bit systems because if they so much as used 16bit instructions, which were allowed in 32bit p-mode (protected mode), they will not work in 64bit p-mode.

Jim,