Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Acer 5517 Backlight

Retired
10 0

Info: Acer Aspire 5517 Windows Vista x86 Home Premium

Issue: Backlight on monitor stopped working.

Details:

Well I had to replace the power jack on my laptop after the pin inside became bent and unusable. The soldering was fairly easy and everything is plugged back in and working, except the backlight. The screen still has an image but the screen is so dark it is useless. So, my question is anyone have any ideas on why its not working? I am working off of the VGA port on the laptop, so I know for a fact that the laptop works .

Thanks for your time

Admin from hell
0 0

Double check the 40 pin LCD cable, make sure it's seated properly and you didn't bend any pins. Just pull your power strip and keyboard you will be able to access it. If it is seated there's a remote chance you could have unplugged inverter plug off the inverter board the LCD cable connects to. You would need to disassemble the LCD frame to check that.

Retired
10 0

@Moshbat: Honestly I cant find how the laptop knows its closed. No visable buttons.

@Korg: Thats odd, I didnt do anything to the LCD screen. I will check it though. Any ideas on how to test the backlight to see of its broken?

Admin from hell
0 0

The switch Moshbat is talking about is by the left hinge, although it would kill any video so that's not it. If you replaced the jack on the mobo you have to unplug the LCD 40 pin plug to pull the board. I doubt it's an issue with hardware, just a simple connection if it worked before. You can check the inverter for power but again you need to rip the LCD screen apart.

Retired
10 0

Not so keen on sending across the world, but I have checked the cable. The pins are like the kind you find in usb (on the edge of the port) So its not that its bent… I will check the inverter.