Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Wireless Card?

0 0

Hey guys, I finally have money from Christmas and was wanting to buy a wireless network dongle for my laptop. I have Googled and compared plenty of them, but I was wondering if any of you guys had personal suggestions on what to buy. I prefer the usb dongle and have a budget of about $20 - $30. -Thanks in Advance Unkn0wn

Retired
10 0

Does your laptop not have wireless adapter built in?

0 0

yours31f wrote: Does your laptop not have wireless adapter built in? Yes, but it is an ipw2200.

korg wrote: Apparently not if he's asking for one. The ASUS USB-N13 is about the best bang for the money you have to spend. Nice little unit and they work great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320040

Thanks, have you experienced any problems when running aircrack, wireshark, and Cain?

0 0

As far as I know,

For packet sniffing such as Wireshark & the sniffing feature built in to cain: So long as the device and OS are compatible drivers wise, they are both based on the PCap library, which doesn't seem to mind since it doesn't need to 'talk' to the hardware directly (I think).

For aircrack: You may well need to find out what the underlying chip it is. See http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers. From their list, many which are not supported in Windows tend to have some form of Linux support. Obviously, it's not a guarantee but it's an option.

Hope this helps!

Jim,

Admin from hell
0 0

Unkn0wn wrote: Thanks, have you experienced any problems when running aircrack, wireshark, and Cain?

That wasn't your original question, You stated you wanted to buy a wireless network dongle for your laptop. If you have a specific question than ask it don't beat around the bush.

As far as aircrack goes read the link that j4m32 posted, although you can reconfigure any driver to work with different brands. Do some research there are tons of tuts out there.

0 1

I thought he meant was do you have any troubles using the dongle you suggested on Cain, etc.

seems that way to me.

Admin from hell
0 0

The thing that sets me off is lack of information. The OP posted he was looking for a wireless network dongle for his laptop, We assume he has none. Then he posts that he does and will the Asus I recommended work with aircrack, wireshark, and Cain.

Now we are left with, Does he have problems with the ipw2200 that he has or just the fact he can't configure it due to aircracks default features, or does it not work period. You would think if he has problems with the OE, you would try to resolve this instead of buying another. A lot of people think you have to use an add-on adapter to work with aircrack and the fact that no information was given in the original post just got me. (That and I was in a pissy mood yesterday).

I might be off base here but if people would post all info on what they want to do and why it would make things more pleasant. <<<<Rant over>>>>