Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Pimp My Box

755 14

Just had a urge to be a bit of a retard since getting my new case. I've started putting unneeded blue lights and fans in my box and along that line of retardedness I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a temperature gauge that displays the separate temperature of the components on my desktop. eg CPU/PS/graphics. I was kinda looking for something simple and commercial…

Along that line, does anyone overclock anymore? is it worth it?

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Wouldn't it be best to tell us your OS first? As for overclocking, I think it's still done just as often on new machines. I've never done any overclocking, but I hang out of Freenode's #hardware sometimes if that's any merit ;)

0 0

Why would you want to know his OS? Wasn't he talking about casemodding? If this is a case of casemod, here is a link for you:

http://www.mnpctech.com/casemodstore.html

That is of course a terrible link, but since it has lots of products it might inspire you.

About the overclocking thing, some people keep overclocking their machines, but i don't think there is this need to overclock your machine anymore. If you want a top-notch pc, keep updating it. Videocards, motherboards, processors, HDs, etc. And keep your drivers updated! In this way you'll be ready for some pretty cool and heavy games or other sort of heavy applications ;) It's better to spend your money on a new hardware that will live longer, than in different equipments, that one day, will make your computer obsolete, and you'll be forced to buy a whole new computer.

0 1

Yeah, he was talking about casemodding, but he did mention about the temp gauges. In this case, he could probably be referring to those temp monitors you install in your case with its own LED/LCD Screen showing your temperature, or it could be he was referring to applications that monitor your temp in Windows like a sidebar gadget or SpeedFan.

Another reason is that nowadays, hardware manufacturers kindly provide apps for you to overclock straight via desktop instead of going through bios. I did read about them in a magazine a few months back, I'll have to go back and find which one since I read a lot of magazines. Most people still prefer to go the BIOS route, however.

And people still overclock, sometimes so that they can get the additional power needed for games/encoding/password cracking, while some just for the fun of it.

edit: try this link: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/6_tools_monitor_heat_your_system

755 14

What would be perfectly ideal would be a cable that goes from the second case USB plug on the motherboard (blue one with the 1 pin missing) not sure on name. But then split up into a number of cables that then 'duck taped' onto certain parts of the box in which you want to measure temperature. Then I put in a disk that comes with the product that recognised what this new 'wankware' was, it then set up a windows gadget that looked something like….

Cable 1 - 24 deg C Cable 2 - 54 deg C Cable 3 - 7,345 deg C

of course you could then edit the name of the cable and change temperature type to kelvin if need be, cant think of any other temperature type that would be useful.

I'm running Windows7. I agree with totally with constantly updating computer components however when i introduce my computer to people it is possibly 100 times cooler to say "my processor is overclocked and its current temperature is 37.45 deg C, shit i better turn on another fan"

Banned
0 0

The-Scarecrow wrote: however when i introduce my computer to people it is possibly 100 times cooler to say

The -fuck- are you on about?

0 0

The-Scarecrow wrote: when i introduce my computer to people

Have you given a name to your computer? I mean, mine is called Jennifer… * Why are you laughing? I'm serious! Don't laugh!*

0 1

The-Scarecrow wrote: What would be perfectly ideal would be a cable that goes from the second case USB plug on the motherboard (blue one with the 1 pin missing) not sure on name. But then split up into a number of cables that then 'duck taped' onto certain parts of the box in which you want to measure temperature. Then I put in a disk that comes with the product that recognised what this new 'wankware' was, it then set up a windows gadget that looked something like….

Cable 1 - 24 deg C Cable 2 - 54 deg C Cable 3 - 7,345 deg C

of course you could then edit the name of the cable and change temperature type to kelvin if need be, cant think of any other temperature type that would be useful.

I'm running Windows7. I agree with totally with constantly updating computer components however when i introduce my computer to people it is possibly 100 times cooler to say "my processor is overclocked and its current temperature is 37.45 deg C, shit i better turn on another fan"

can you modify this post when you get back here? I couldn't understand one bit of it. Now I shall laugh and point at chess_rock for naming his computer after a girl he probably haven't got a chance with.

0 0

Personally, I will probably never over-clock. People seem to run into too many problems that they wouldn't have otherwise, like crashing software. And you could measurably shorten the life of the computer.

One other thing you will need to watch out for is interference. There was a guy who brought in a computer into the shop with 12 fans, it didn't take long to figure out what was wrong. research each part, and make sure the power supply can handle it. Also, make sure that you have good air ventilation over the cpu and graphics card, and outside the case too.

For interference, I heard that you can take an AM radio and turn it to the lowest station/channel it can receive. Then move it around the computer to test the levels. You should test while the computer is on and off. However I've never done this.

0 0

Usually when people overclock they do it wrong, thus shortening the life of the computer, and running into hardware and program problems. Like Maug said.

In my opinion, if you're going to overclock and you aren't 100% sure how to go about doing it, take it to a professional. Overclocking can be useful when you do it right, but it's kind of like Jtagging your Xbox 360, you can do it, but mess up once and you're paying 200 dollars for a new console.

0 0

tip: Get a tower/desktop computer that you don't care about fucking up.