Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

VGA and USB to USB KVM Switch

0 0

I guess many people has had this same issue as I have for many years, therefore I reckon there should already exist something atleat remotly similar as what I'm looking for.

My issue, I have a server, unmonitored. For easy management I'd love to be able to connect the VGA cable and PS2 (os USB). Then connect the other end to a laptop through USB and control it physically like that.

Found something similar from Avocent, but this needs a primary server to connect other nodes on.

Any suggestions or tips are welcome! Thanks in advance.

0 0

SSH should be enough for server management, you can even forward X11 through it. Although, you don't really need X for server management.

0 0

There's definitely something to be said about console access tho….. like if your network goes down.

0 0

Well, I need access to it from BIOS POST tests and forward.

On my other server I have a so called DRAC card installed ( DELL server ). This card works as a standalone PCI card, throughly integrated with the server, so if the server goes down I can even boot it up, I can access BIOS from across the globe.

I'm looking for something similar, but as an adapter to just plugin and control.

A bit tired but trying to explain as well as I can.

0 0

I have a similar situation but I kinda doubt you'll fine a saticfactory solution. I use SSH and if I really need to hook the VGA up to my TV and plugin a keyboard.

0 0

No, I've been googling of for two days now. Closest I've come was the product I linked in the first post.

But if there's a product that does this, running over TCP/IP there should be something similar for USB, I mean. It would be even simplier to do it through USB right?

0 0

And ones again you enlighten me Korg! This is somewhat the same card I have in my other server, the DRAC card I mentioned. I'll order one as soon as I find it on eBay. Thank you very much!

Admin from hell
0 0

no problem, I'd wait for one on e-bay also, they go for over $400 us new.