Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Need Solution B4 Tomorrow Night.

755 14

My roomate has an assignment due tomorrow night, computer is apparently broken.

We tried to fix a microphone jack, but obviously failed.

basically the screen has no signal. (we have swapped screens and screen cables) all fans are working, all lights are working except the ethernet light. triple checked all cables.

his graphics card is a 9800GTX Galaxy.

suggestions?

0 0

well if its the mb thats bad you are kinda screwed short term. If its just the video card, you could always boot (I assume its windows, but if not then the same idea could apply)

wait til it loads (enter password if needed) - insert a flashdrive

win+r cmd <enter> cp c:\whereverfileis\file e:\ (assuming e is where it would go, but if you use the computer enough you should have an idea of what it will name the drive)

take it to another computer and work on it.

or you could plug into onboard if you happen to have it. or you could go to a store and buy a 20$ cheap video card temporarily.

(Im also making the assumption that its a hardware problem, as you get no signal at all)

edit:

you could also take off the harddrive put it on a working computer (you wont be able to boot to it) but you can mount it in linux and pull off the needed stuff/continue to work on it.

755 14

yeh…. we could always just swap hardrives…. but we wanted to play rainbow 6 tomorrow aswell :'( however fortunately we know a guy that's in his final year of computer science and he is doing his masters… pretty handy guy to know… we will just give him some copper ore in a rock and he will fix it.

The Manager
0 0

wow…you just sounded like you play RuneScape too much there man…

there are a few things you can do here (without the need for some M.CSc). These are as follows. #1, get a clone box (can grab them anywhere for cheap) and pull the vid card. another option is run to your local computer store and buy what you need. Another option, is attempt to reseat all the cards in the computer. People forget this simple method that works a lot of the time unless you have a major problem.

Also, what does the case inside look like? Does it look like something may grow legs and start walking and talking? if so clean the bastard! if not, try the reseat method.

Let me know what you get out of these attempts.

0 0

This happened to me once, for some weird reason the computer started working again when I removed one of the RAM pieces.

The weird thing though is that if the RAM fails, there should be short beeps when booting, but the computer booted without the screen working.

Same thing happened when I put the RAM piece in again. =S

Admin from hell
0 0

Classic case of why you should leave the side panel on your box if you don't know what your doing!

755 14

Classic case of why you should leave the side panel on your box if you don't know what your doing!

so how do you learn?

Admin from hell
0 0

The-Scarecrow wrote: [quote]so how do you learn?

You study hardware configurations, how they work and what they do. Practice on a shit box, So if you do make a mistake you lost nothing. I see tons of hardware destroyed all the time, Plugs jammed in upside down, connectors and slots busted to hell, You be surprised. IE: Pci-e does not fit in an agp slot. ;)

755 14

yeh… but working on expensive ones is far more fun, anything we mess up that computer Dr. can fix :)

Admin from hell
0 0

The-Scarecrow wrote: yeh… but working on expensive ones is far more fun, anything we mess up that computer Dr. can fix :)

Sounds like a good way to waste a few hundred dollars to me.

Banned
0 0

Wtf? Tried fixing a microphone jack and now you get no video output? You probably short-circuited your mobo.

0 0

What did you do to the mic jack, maybe that will highlight some possible problems?

Loads of things could do what your descirbe including the mb short someone mentioned before, try adjusting the mb spacer/screws to see if it's hshorting there and can be fixed.

0 0

haha, haven't had to open my side panel but once. (overclocking the crappy CPU's turned out bad xD) besides the countless times popping it open to hide tobacco from the parents back when i wasn't 18. hehe. Note*: my pc does NOT unscrew the panel, it simply has a little lever you push down, then push the side off, wayyy to easy to hide crap, considering there wasn't much all too big in that PC.;)

The Manager
0 0

I guess the solution was not needed, as none of my questions were answered. What ever, if you do not want to learn from those who know, do not ask the questions.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

AldarHawk wrote: I guess the solution was not needed, as none of my questions were answered. What ever, if you do not want to learn from those who know, do not ask the questions.

It look's to me like he came up with his own solution already….. So why would he answer your question if he considers it solved?