Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

AMD vs Intel

0 0

So im looking to buy. Several years ago I was researching the same topic and bought AMD. Right now im looking and i'm finding a lot of mixed opinions, and a lot of people saying intel came back and blew amd away. But it all looks like propaganda that could have come straight from either company.

So my question is; relevant to the newest processors on the market which do you think is better/best and why? Didn't AMD at one point have some key features that intel did not? Is that still true today?

0 0

What's your goal with the pc?

Intel has some good processors, but AMD to. Eventhough Intel is faster, look at the i7 proc for example, AMD hasn't an answer for that. But i7 is quite expensive and If your using it for a normal workstation the i7 is for only like 40% max used with it's 8 cores.

Amd and Intel have some nice quadcores which should likely do the trick with like 4 / 6 / 8 gigabytes of memory(depending on your os), and a nice graphic card.

0 0

I'd say go for the Intel even if its price is a little bit higher.

Intel has better products right now, but it is true, AMD isn't much behind intel. But when you buy an intel, you're also buying the support intel will give you. For example, if your processor has any problem, the support they will give you will pretty much compensate the higher price you paid before.

AMD is good too, if you read the specs programs are requesting, you'll be alright.

0 0

What do you mean AMD has no answer for the i7? It's more like the i7 was the answer for AMD's Phenom 2. AMD comes out with the better chips first, usually. Phenom and i7 are pretty closely matched I would say. The i7 may have a tiny bit higher clock speed, but in overall performance benchmarks they are pretty neck and neck. I'm not biased in any way, I used to like Intel better, but AMD has come a long freaking way. Just do some research and decide which is best for your usage.

0 0

amd for value for money

intel for quality

Admin from hell
0 0

Superi0r wrote:
But i7 is quite expensive and If your using it for a normal workstation the i7 is for only like 40% max used with it's 8 cores.

The i7-965 is not 8 cores it is a quad using 8 Processing threads. Clock speed is not the only thing to look at in a cpu. The i7-965 is 3.0g and the amd x4-940 is 3.0g. But what is the m/t's or GB/s transfer rate on each? You need to look at levels of caching, how much is cached and shared. And what type of memory each supports. Along with core temps of course.

All that being said if you look at the specs and compare the 2 Yes the intel is about 10 to 15% faster right now. But for the money I'll stick with amd.

Banned
0 0

I have the AMD Athlon X2 7750 Kuma Black Edition, which can overclock to insane speeds and was only ~60$ when I bought it! I play basically every Steam game with it && 9600GT. I recommend this CPU!

0 0

Im looking to build a new machine or upgrade my existing box. (which is AMD). I'm looking for better all around performance which i havent really needed until recently when i started working with VMware. Im particularly interested in the i7 although I'm not ready to blow 500$ on it.

0 0

AMD is very good for low-end and mid-end computers, in the highend market intel do have a very dominant position with the Core i7 processor.

In games the difference between AMDs highend CPUs and Intels is very small but in other circumstances the core i7 will probably win compared to PhenomII 955.

Admin from hell
0 0

M4RCUSZ wrote: AMD is very good for low-end and mid-end computers, in the highend market intel do have a very dominant position with the Core i7 processor.

In games the difference between AMDs highend CPUs and Intels is very small but in other circumstances the core i7 will probably win compared to PhenomII 955.

And you posted this why??? AMD has great cpu's for high-end. The phenom series is more than compatible with Intel. The I-7 is a little faster (As I stated before but not much). But really not worth the money. Intel still realize on physical memory and runs much hotter.

0 0

Simply put, In the horrible system of the free market, AMD rises to the top. They are good quality, cheap, and reliable. Not that Intel is bad, just costs a lot as previously stated.

0 0

korg wrote: [quote]M4RCUSZ wrote: AMD is very good for low-end and mid-end computers, in the highend market intel do have a very dominant position with the Core i7 processor.

And you posted this why??? AMD has great cpu's for high-end. The phenom series is more than compatible with Intel. The I-7 is a little faster (As I stated before but not much). But really not worth the money. Intel still realize on physical memory and runs much hotter. [/quote]

In rendering and when compressing files the i7 do have a advantage, in gaming the difference is pretty much non-existent.

What i meant with AMD not being a good choice for high-end computers is that if your going to spend a lot of cash (a lot) then you might aswell get the i7 as it do have better performance. Maybe not much but there's a difference.

Sorry if my post was uncertain about this matter.

:)