Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Random Flashing Green Pixels on LCD Monitor

0 0

My ViewSonic VP201s LCD monitor (1600x1200 native) shows random flashing green pixels on some colors. I have noticed that blues and grays seem to do it a lot; there is also a stuck red pixel, but I doubt that is related.

My other LCD monitor does not have any pixel problems; it displays everything correctly.

The main monitor with the problems is most likely the problem. I can change the contrast settings on the monitor and the pixels show up in different places (along certain areas in gradients, again mainly with bluish colors) and the color mode, etc.

The pixels are sometimes very bad (very visible, violently flashing) and sometimes moderate (almost invisible, rapidly flashing or with larger time intervals in between). It is not any set of pixels; rather, they occur at random in areas rich in certain colors. I can't find any definite information about this; I thought it might be an issue with my video memory (GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256bit) as I have had artifact issues in Hellgate: London and SW: KotOR 1 and 2, but this is actually happening in the Windows environment (and anything else on-screen) and only occurs on the ViewSonic monitor. The monitor is second-hand and I think it may have had some issues before, though it was given to me because the previous owner's video card did not support it very well at high framerates.

Is there any definitive way to determine if it is a problem with the monitor and not with the card or software? I will install the newest drivers tonight; I am currently using the nVidia PerfHUD special drivers with CUDA (I use Folding@Home), but I will uninstall that driver set and install the newest CUDA drivers tonight.

Has anyone had this issue? I don't want to get rid of the monitor, as it displays most high-res images very well, and I don't have problems in games or videos except on loading screens. The main problem occurs in still images.

Sometimes it happens a lot, sometimes it will not occur at all. I know the monitor is capable of displaying those colors, because I am using the same wallpaper now that I had a while ago and it is not happening on more than 3 pixels (it was about 200 px a while ago).

What can I do? Thanks in advance!

0 0

This sounds very strange - do you still have warranty?

Banned
0 0

Wild guess here; overheating or faulty soldering. If you still have warrenty, go grab a new monitor.

0 0

It's secondhand, I have no warranty info. It happens sometimes and sometimes doesn't. I'll just deal with it until I can get a new monitor, as th eproblem only occurs with still images. The biggest issue is that sometimes, with certain gradients, it makes horrible vertical lines over particular parts of the gradients. It has something to do with contrast, as I can change the contrast settings for different results.

I don't know, really… I'll just put up with it. Another monitor like this one coasts anywhere from $500-1000, but I might be able to get a good refurb one that works. Thanks, guys.

0 0

It's also possible that the horizontal or vertical sync settings are being detected incorrectly for that monitor. Try finding a driver for that monitor's model and installing that. If you can't find one, try finding the horizontal and vertical sync settings by either searching for them online or using a Linux LiveCD. You should be able to modify those in the Advanced properties of the monitor in Device Manager, but don't take my word for it… it's been forever since I even looked at customizing those settings for a monitor.

0 0

back. the previous owner said that it had issues with this before. As far as dead/dying pixels, there is one red stuck pixel; the rest of the pixels are perfect.

I didn't think there'd be a driver issue with the monitor; at least, not when I'm running it at stock settings on a D-Sub port, but I'm installing the driver anyway. Thanks, I didn't think about that

(The video card is GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256Bit GDDR3… EVGA Dual Slot Edition)

I'll be back later and report. Right now I have 6 essays to write by tomorrow if I want Stanford U. to accept me :S

Wish me luck with that! Thanks, guys. Happy Halloween, too.

Thanks, mateys