Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

PS3/XBOX 360 System.

0 0

I have a few questions about a project I'd like to start. I want to build a custom case for a dual game system. I'd like to have a PS3/Xbox 360 system. It would be one decent size case with the guts of both system inside, and hopefully a flip up LCD screen on top. My question is, is it possible for them both to run off the same optical drive? I'd like to use the PS3's drive due to the Blu-Ray capability but also know if I can use it to play both types of games as well. I've yet to open the systems up because I don't want to start if it's not possible.

Retired
10 0

I dont think that it would be possible to use one drive, simply because of how xbox/ps3 read their games. My best bet, would be make a case that holds both systems separately. The reason i dont see it feasible, (without mass coding) is one simple question. How does the drive know which system to operate with, when loading a game?

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Xbox 360s generate a lot of heat; not sure how well the ps3 would handle that heat (since they would be right on top of each other). And what's the point in mounting an lcd screen? It's not like that thing would be portable. Plus if you do this then your warranty will be void. It's just not a good idea.

0 0

Well the point would be to make it portable, instead of hooking up a tv, ps3 and xbox 360 up and all, I could just plug this thing in and start playing, I imagine it would weight around 25 pounds when it's done (10 for the ps3, 8 for the 360, 5 for the LCD screen and 2 for the case) It would be a beast, but would be pretty awesome to have. I'd like to have one power plug for this thing instead of 3, just an idea for a project I wanted to do for a while, that's all.

0 0

Xbox 360s generate a lot of heat; not sure how well the ps3 would handle that heat (since they would be right on top of each other). And what's the point in mounting an lcd screen? It's not like that thing would be portable. Plus if you do this then your warranty will be void. It's just not a good idea.

Am assuming that problem has been fixed. I currently have the newer versions of the console and i am not having problems at all nor does the console heat up.:D

0 0

no, im pretty sure its not possible, the PS3 uses a blue ray drive and is very specific about the drive, royal pain in the ass to fix by the way. and the 360 has a Dvd drive, as all the games are dual layer Dvds. im pretty sure that you would need two optical drives. but hell, ive been wrong before. hoped ive helped and good luck!

0 0

Couldn't the ps3 drive read dual layer dvd's aswell as blue-rays? So Maybe you could just use the ps3 drive, but I can't think how you would specify which system you want to use if you have only one drive.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

What's wrong with just having two separate drives? It's easier and that way you can have two games in at once.

0 0

Also, you say one plug, but have you thought that through? Each console had a transformer to get mains voltage to what you need, but you cant just plug them all into 1 socket, you would need to split the current, or build your own transformer.

Generally, I dont see the point in spending so much on a barely portable mash up.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

jjbutler88 wrote: Also, you say one plug, but have you thought that through? Each console had a transformer to get mains voltage to what you need, but you cant just plug them all into 1 socket, you would need to split the current, or build your own transformer.

Generally, I dont see the point in spending so much on a barely portable mash up. Indeed. The only way that would work without rebuilding the systems is if there was some sort of two way switch to guide the power to one system or the other. This just seems like a waste of time all around.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: This just seems like a waste of time all around. Agreed.