Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Laptop Choice

0 0

Well I've recently been considering getting a laptop. It'l probably mainly be used for simple web browsing, music, MSN, and some simple little programming. I've been researching for about two hours and I was wondering which of the following you would recommend. If anyone has or has had any of these then please tell me what you think or thought of it.

Advent 9415 http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0574318055.1205873955@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfeadedifmdlgmcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=136057&category_oid=-34074 Acer 5720 http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0574318055.1205873955@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfeadedifmdlgmcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=501892&category_oid=-34074 COMPAQ C730EM http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0574318055.1205873955@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfeadedifmdlgmcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=003879&category_oid=-34074 Toshiba L40-17M http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0574318055.1205873955@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfeadedifmdlgmcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=920896&category_oid=-34074

I think so far I'm leaning towards the Advent 9415. If anyone has any other recommendations, I'd be grateful. I'm looking for anything between £300-£400 [$600 - $800].

Thanks, x5631.

Banned
0 0

Get either a cheap Dell or Acer. I think Dell is cheaper (they're always stunting with prizes), but Acer Holland never let me down (free repairs and such).

Just get one you like. Well, wardriving might be a consideration. Look for one with a compatible chipset, or get a separate wireless card.

0 0

have you ever looked at ibuypower's laptops they are mostly higher end gaming laptops but they are not expensive at all compared to what their specs are try this one—>http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=264 i know its a little more than you were looking to spend but you would get a whole lot for your money if you spent like $100 more you can also downgrade a couple things on the laptop to make it a bit cheaper and it would still blow the dell and acer out of the water on specs i think its a way better deal to spend a couple dollars more and get a way better computer rathert than save the couple bucks and get a mediocre system also you wont have to worry as much about the laptop being way outdated compared to its technology thats always a plus the laptops there also just look badass and perform great….well its just my opinion but i hope mabey you consider it and do your research to get more bang for your buck

Ph4n70m
0 0

Personally i would go for the COMPAQ C730EM, or the Advent 9415..

They're basically both the same, but with differant looks. Still, both rather decent.. Like i said, it's only a personal opinion.

Parker

0 0

Well, I've ruled out the Advent ones. I've continued to research them and it seems they always/often have very poor battery life. I'm now leaning towards the COMPAQ C731EM, although I can't find any reviews for it or anything so I'm not sure how good it really is.

0 0

I use a Compaq Presario and think it's a great computer for a reasonable price.

Remember, any computer is better than no computer. I'd take a x486 if that's absolutely the only thing I could get my hands on. ;)

SET

Peumonoultramicroscopicsilico
0 0

E-Bay is great

0 0

I'm using an Acer Extensa 5420 and it works great. and it was about $549.

Python Ninja
0 0

What os you gunna run?

That changes everything..

The Manager
0 0

If you are in the USA then try this link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2030260032+4018&name=%24200+-+%24300 They are laptops great for MSN, Music and the likes, Will not be able to play many games but for 200-300 bucks what do you expect.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2030260032+4020&name=%24400+-+%24500 $500 ish ones

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2030260032+4021&name=%24500+-+%24750 750ish

0 0

Vista Home Premium is the one I'm aiming for. I'm not shoving Ultimate away though. I'm looking for something roughly:

2 GHz Dual Core 2BG Ram 100+ HD Built in WiFi

Yeah, that's the basics of what I'm aiming for. Like I said, it'l mainly be used for web browsing, msn, music, and some little programming scraps [I'll do the bigger ones on here] and I'm looking for upto £500 ish.. maybe £600 if it's really worth it. I'm not struggling to find laptops that meet these specs, but when I've found ones they have things like Bad Battery life and such.

Btw, thanks for all the recommendations and the links. Any more specific reccomendations?

Thanks.

The Manager
0 0

Why on gods green earth would you WANT Vista?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

AldarHawk huddles in a corner and vomits Blood from the thought of someone actually WANTING Microsoft Windows Vista

0 0

Because I figured I'm going to need to get used to it. Considering the new Direct-X and stuff isn't available for XP. So, rather than getting it on this computer, which I will mainly use, I will be getting it on a laptop, which I will use not quite as much. This will let me get used to it without having to.

:)

See, it's not quite as bad as it sounds. Beleive me, I like old OSs. I'm, right now, installing Win98 on an old computer I've found. :D

The Manager
0 0

I run a mid sized network spanned across two cities. I also hate Vista…it is a resource hog and it spams ports on routers.

I personally do not know why you need DirectX for listening to music and chatting on MSN so WHO gives a crap?

Install Linux and be done with it :)

0 0

haha Yeah I figured that's what it sounded like I meant!

I meant, I will be gaming on this computer. Which means I'll be needing to get vista on here at some point. So I figured, I'm getting a new laptop.. so I may aswell use the opportunity to get used to Vista :)

0 0

You still do not need a new computer. And I stopped playing video games a long time ago too, I would recommend that as well. Too time consuming.

Vista does an amazingly annoying thing with your RAM. It will half load like half of your programs so that they can be launched quickly. You really do not need itunes or whatever filling up your RAM if you arn't going to use it using it (and really, 100% fuck itunes) tweak startup programs.

Also Microsoft products can be nice, but they take often take up a lot of space. Again, you can lower your requirements by using open source or something. Personally, I would not like to do anything like war driving on windows, especially vista. Too sketchy, they sell out for trogens, etc. And I'm not sure how much this was changed, but vista used to not allow anyone any kind of deep access (at least they can have malware scanners now)

Go cheap. Spyware had good advice. Fuck video games. I use Win Me on my $10 laptop. Which is nice because it is fast, small, can use windows file formats, and can fit on a $10 laptop. Get something you can upgrade if fancy/flashy a concern. It's easy enough. (gold rimmed fan, haha. stupid)

By the way, my laptop was nicknamed "the slut" since that's where I have anything I download (don't know what's been in it xD). Also, Microsoft has a 90 day trial with their OS I think. Better than paying $100, especially if you like to format your computer a lot like me.

doesn't sound like you're too interested in messing with your system though.

0 0

Right, I know I keep changing my mind but I've just been offered a higher budget.

I'm now thinking of a Dell XPS M1530 With: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 80GB HD NVIDIA® GeForce Go 8400M GS with 128MB Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr) Vista Home Premium

for roughly £750

Anyone know whether this is a good choice or not?

0 0

hey man, I can*t tell u what to buy, but I can tell u what to not buy, that company called himself PackardBell. I fixed some PB laptops even formatted them but they was working like mac 95. always has driver problems. bad for games. anyway…my suggestion is get some HP, Lenovo,Acer,Sony Vaio. These computers works really fast and good for games (if u like it). Here is a link where u can buy some cheap laptops. good luck with ur choise. ;)

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

0 0

x_5631 wrote: Anyone know whether this is a good choice or not?

Depends how you run it. It's not going to kill your family/dog at least. You could also try searching the inter-web fer a forum that talks like that stuff.