Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

AGP8x + PCI16 on same AM2 Mobo?

0 0

K, here's what I've got picked out for the system I'm building. My question: Would I notice a significant difference, due to L2 cache size, between an AMD 64 X2 Brisbane Black Edition 2.4GHz (OC'd to 3.0GHz) with 2xM512KB L2 and an AMD Athlon64 X2 5500+ 2.8GHz with 2x1MB L2? They are both about the same size, and here's my wishlist (buying from NewEgg)

The entire system will be:

AMD AM2 mobo with support for SATA, Raid, 2x PCI16, 8GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT 256MB/400MHz (or 6600LE, I have both but it depends on whether or not I decide to go with this mobo. The 6800GT is AGP 8x, but the mobo only supports PCI16) Nice transparent LED ATX case with good air circulation and fan controls

4GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM

250GB 7200RPM Seagate HDD

The whole system will be about $450USD. I already have the video cards, they were gifts ^_^

Here's my main questions: Is there an AM2 mobo that supports both AGP 8x and PCI 16? I MUST use AM2, but I would like to have an SLI setup with both video cards, or at least use the 6800GT, not 6600LE. And would I notice a significant difference between 2 CPUs at same speed with 2x512KB and 2x1MB L2's?

Or has APG8x been phased out in AM2 and only used in 939 ? :(

0 0

ThorsDecree wrote: Would I notice a significant difference, due to L2 cache size, between an AMD 64 X2 Brisbane Black Edition 2.4GHz (OC'd to 3.0GHz) with 2xM512KB L2 and an AMD Athlon64 X2 5500+ 2.8GHz with 2x1MB L2?

Well, yeah… the Athlon 64 X2 would murder the other one. Think of L2 cache as RAM that is directly attached to the CPU… that's a pretty close description. With the L2 cache being so readily available, access times are significantly better than if the data had to go over a "bridge".

Is there an AM2 mobo that supports both AGP 8x and PCI 16? I MUST use AM2, but I would like to have an SLI setup with both video cards, or at least use the 6800GT, not 6600LE.

Why not just get a PCI-E video card with dual inputs? Even if you have to get one that has a VGA and a DVI, there are cheap VGA-to-DVI converters.

Anyways, you have a nice system setup… hope it works out for you. :)

0 0

I have dvi-vga converters, what I want to know is if there are any am2 motherboards that support pci x16 and agp 8x on the same board, as I have two different video cards with those inputs. I want to run an SLI setup and use both video cards, or at the very least use the 6800GT, which uses agp 8x, not the 6600LE. I am having trouble finding am2 mobos that have agp though…

and thanks for the info about the L2, I knew what it was, just not if the difference would be made up by the clock speed difference or not… I can safely OC the black edition to at least 3GHz, maybe more.

I really really really want to use the 6800, its sooo much better than the 6600 and it was a gift from a good friend. What I'm thinking, though, is that agp 8x is being phased out… because I can't find any AM2's with it and PCI16

0 0

Mmm… I am finding a very few now, AM2 with agp and pci, but not many. Anyone use agp and pci and can suggest a good (nonexpensive) board?

[edit] OK so I found out about an AGP 8x - PCIe bridge! Here it is, looks interesting. [/edit]