Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

how do I install free bsd/windows on same comp?

0 0

Hi I want to install free bsd or a linux distro to play with now that I have been messing around with linux quite a bit on live cd's and what not.

I would like to know if I can create a partition for bsd on my laptop. It came with windows xp pro installed which I would just reinstall on a smaller partition but has bunch of software, personal items, and important data on it that I would like to keep if at all possible.

Im not that experienced with partitions and this kind of thing. Is it possible to break this 1 big partition into 2 or 3? This way I can have a bsd, windows, and maybe a small linux distro also. I really would be grateful for any helpful links or information you can provide in helping me with this goal.

Oh and also what are some free unix's out there besides linux and bsd?
Thank you.

0 0

If you boot an Ubuntu live cd there is a partition tool. You can use that but I would DEFINATELY back up all your stuff just in case. I have heard of laptop's not partitioning real well so beware.

As for free Unix other than Linux I'm not sureā€¦

0 0

fashizzlepop wrote: If you boot an Ubuntu live cd there is a partition tool. You can use that but I would DEFINATELY back up all your stuff just in case. I have heard of laptop's not partitioning real well so beware.

The tool is called "partimage" and, yes, it is on an Ubuntu LiveCD (as well as others). The chance of something going wrong when resizing a partition is the same on both notebooks and desktops, but I agree with the plan of backing up your important files first.

As for other free Unix distros, the only other one that I can think of (other than the BSD family) is OpenSolaris.

0 0

thanks alot for the replies you guys :D Is it possible to use the part image tool just for breaking the partition into 2 or 3 and then doing whatever I want with it? Or do I have to use the tool and then immediately install ubuntu?

Oh and how would I back up a copy of my software?

0 0

When you partition it you don't need to immediately install anything. It's like have 2 or 3 hard drives connected to your comp when you really only have 1.

You could use the windows back up tool in your Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup

0 0

thanks bro youve been a huge help :D

0 0

Feel free to PM me if you have any problem in the future.