Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Satcoms

0 0

Hey there. I was watching "Live Free or Die Hard" again the other day. And I noticed they said you could "reroute a network through old satcoms, hackers surf them all the time." After hearing that I google-ed satcoms and it only came up with what satellites are. So from this I am guessing satcom means satellite communications or no? Also I am intereted in knowing about if this is possiable and anything on the subject itself. Thanks.

0 0

I think the satcoms are basically like radio repeaters in space.

I think you could use them ,theoretically, by getting a transceiver on a specific frequency and a receiver on the coherent frequency. Check out this link. It is not like in Die Hard though because you need to use a radio and not a phone.

http://www.zarya.info/Frequencies/FrequenciesAFSATCOM.php

0 0

Very much so understood. However satellite communications seems like something people have setup and could be manipulated for our benefit.

0 0

chronicburst wrote: Very much so understood. However satellite communications seems like something people have setup and could be manipulated for our benefit.

But communicating with it would take some seriouse engineering in sattellite commun and some money. :p . And yeah they hype stuff up alot and the one thing i hate about that movie is they made hacking seem "cool". Which don't doubt me i think it is i guess "cool" in a way, but basically the movie introduced a new realm of script kiddies into are midst filling there heads with idea's of anarchism right from there computer at home.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

But communicating with it would take some seriouse engineering in sattellite commun and some money. :p . And yeah they hype stuff up alot and the one thing i hate about that movie is they made hacking seem "cool". Which don't doubt me i think it is i guess "cool" in a way, but basically the movie introduced a new realm of script kiddies into are midst filling there heads with idea's of anarchism right from there computer at home.

I don't have a problem with movies like that, because along with attracting script kiddies they also attract the right type of people. Me, for instance, I got interested in computers from the movie "hackers", and although at first I was all hyped up about the bullshit the movie made up, once I got into it I was much more happy with what I found the hacker community/world to actually be.

I mean, we have to advertise "somehow", why not let the media companies do it for us? ;)

0 0

stealth- wrote: I mean, we have to advertise "somehow", why not let the media companies do it for us? ;)

BULL! The media distorts the hacker image so much they're hurting us! They only show skiddies and make all hackers seem bad.

0 0

stealth- wrote: [quote] But communicating with it would take some seriouse engineering in sattellite commun and some money. :p . And yeah they hype stuff up alot and the one thing i hate about that movie is they made hacking seem "cool". Which don't doubt me i think it is i guess "cool" in a way, but basically the movie introduced a new realm of script kiddies into are midst filling there heads with idea's of anarchism right from there computer at home.

I don't have a problem with movies like that, because along with attracting script kiddies they also attract the right type of people. Me, for instance, I got interested in computers from the movie "hackers", and although at first I was all hyped up about the bullshit the movie made up, once I got into it I was much more happy with what I found the hacker community/world to actually be.

I mean, we have to advertise "somehow", why not let the media companies do it for us? ;)[/quote]

LoL, i use to like that movie too. But now i look back on it and its like… " what a bunch of shit…" lol.

0 0

Slayer706 wrote: cop shows with their magic image enhancement and facial recognition programs,

Well.. thats actually the true part of there things. Not all departments have em but i know some do cause i have a friend studying for computer forensics and Criminology and they taught him how to work with shizzle like that. Though i do believe sometimes they stretch its lengths a little but they got some pretty crazy shizz now.

0 0

Slayer706 wrote: I'm not really a hacker, but I can't stand the way the media portrays them or just computers in general. You have movies like The Core, where some kid "hacks the internet." You have cop shows with their magic image enhancement and facial recognition programs, and not to mention crap like this: http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/prince-of-persia-on-nbcs-life/129534

It's disgusting.

rofl epic one…

0 0

Oh wow. Some people just… I mean what the hell, why would they make such a video? It's 100% pointless.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Slayer706 wrote: From what I gather, some hacker/drug-dealer hacked his XBox, put Microsoft Excel on there, and used it to store information about his drug transactions. Then he secured the information by only making it accessible after playing through ten levels of some hacked version of Prince of Persia.

That's ingenious! WOW, cause im sure the cops would never think to just open up the harddrive and find the microsoft excell stuff :/

0 0

31337 Hackers hack Mario Bros.! :p

0 0

S1L3NTKn1GhT wrote: [quote]Slayer706 wrote: cop shows with their magic image enhancement and facial recognition programs,

Well.. thats actually the true part of there things. Not all departments have em but i know some do cause i have a friend studying for computer forensics and Criminology and they taught him how to work with shizzle like that. Though i do believe sometimes they stretch its lengths a little but they got some pretty crazy shizz now. [/quote]

Im studying Computer forensics and its Bull. You cant enhance an image of a low quality (e.g CCTV) to anywhere near the 'CSI' extent.

0 0

Mambo, that sounds pretty neat though. What do they have you doing to make the resolution of images better when zooming in or enlarging them?

0 0

mambo wrote: [quote]S1L3NTKn1GhT wrote: [quote]Slayer706 wrote: cop shows with their magic image enhancement and facial recognition programs,

Well.. thats actually the true part of there things. Not all departments have em but i know some do cause i have a friend studying for computer forensics and Criminology and they taught him how to work with shizzle like that. Though i do believe sometimes they stretch its lengths a little but they got some pretty crazy shizz now. [/quote]

Im studying Computer forensics and its Bull. You cant enhance an image of a low quality (e.g CCTV) to anywhere near the 'CSI' extent.[/quote]

I DID say that they can't enhance it as much as they show. But they can do some pretty good shit( not quite the click click done action they show on CSI though :p ) .

0 0

rerouting satcoms… hmmm…

I remember a conference about using a special patched drivers that allowed artheros based cards to "monitor" additional frequencies, which included the ones that satellites use.. and DoD…

I say monitor because it's a whole different kind of trouble if you transmit on any of those frequencies. The kind of frequencies were talking are in a certain range and cell phones use a different set altogether.

Hacking a cell phone to route it's traffic to a satellite isn't going to happen.

But, there is a way to hack a cell phone and use the carriers network and use that to surf through :ninja: speed sucks depending on the carrier but it's good enough to surf the web, and post on hbh :D

Side Note:

Saw this video on my website and thought you might like to watch it.. not sure if it is relevant, haven't watched it yet since i'm using my cell to connect to the internet.

http://crackerjax.org/index.php/blackhat/55-black-hat-2009/126-satellite-hacking-for-fun-and-profit