Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

JS16 completion time

Python Ninja
0 0

I'm curious, how long did it take you all?

The fastest i've heard of was 58 mins.

0 0

since it released not yet :D

=> Penguin in black <=
0 0

Well as you know I'm still cracking it… :(

0 0

i decided that i don't consider bruteforce a sane skill for javascript hacking because of spam filters..

silly challenge not worth my time

Python Ninja
0 0

you realise the BF was meant to run locally right? and not make like a bajillion calls to the site?

0 0

yes and then read them all in hopes of finding one that looks like it..

it's still dumb and you made it obvious that you don't intend on correcting it. feature not a bug thing.

0 0

I heard system did it in 5 minutes, boy would I like to see that source

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

mozzer wrote: I heard system did it in 5 minutes, boy would I like to see that source

And who said that…?

Python Ninja
0 0

sakarin wrote: yes and then read them all in hopes of finding one that looks like it..

it's still dumb and you made it obvious that you don't intend on correcting it. feature not a bug thing.

I gave serious thought to correcting it….

But then I thought "If i was using this on a real site (suspend disbelief here people!), would i change this?"

Would you?

0 0

system_meltdown wrote: And who said that…?

Richo, on his dev server

0 0

yes i was refering to that comment. and i answered that when you first said it. i said yes you could consider it a feature on a realistic mission. which brings me back to my first post on this topic.

and all the other ones. this javascript challenge doesn't test any javascript knowlege apart from being able to read it..

yes it's clever (but not a new concept) yes it's not impossible and should be kept, no it should't be on the javascript section.

0 0

richohealey wrote: I'm curious, how long did it take you all?

The fastest i've heard of was 58 mins.

I haven't gotten past 7 digits yet with my C++ brute forcer… I have a feeling I'm going about it the wrong way

0 0

ive been looking for a different way to do this other than bf… i guess there isnt. so has everyone used c++ or javascript?

0 0

I coded a bruteforcer in C but it's not nearly fast enough, I'm still working on optimizing it.

0 0

ok i deffinately need to know now if there could be some possible problems with coding it in javascript… because i have my code now and once i finish some small tests im running it so if there are any issues tell me now.

Admin from hell
0 0

Don't try it in javascript it will slow your browser and way too slow I'm using C++ but have shitloads of answers but no solution???? Challenge is unreal to the point of you could never log in right.

0 0

well the question remains….. I wonder if it can be brute-forced in a reasonable time. which is in my case < 2h

because my patience is limited. B)

0 0

Off Topic Yes Korg, much better. ^_^ /Off Topic

0 0

Here are simple calcul that can give an idea of how long the password is :

x : number of caracter. 100 represent an average ascii number. x/2 represent the average value that should take i.

(x100x/2)(x100x) + (x100x)(x100x) + … (x100x/2)(x100x)*x= 88692589 (5 000x^4)*x = 88692589 5 000x^5 = 88692589 x = 7.076

So this mean the password should have around 6 to 8 caracter.

BTW : Javascript is poorly coded … "substring(i,i+1)" shoud be "charAt(i)" … "sum = sum+(indexni)(indexii);" should be "sum += (indexni)(indexii);"

0 0

Arto_8000 wrote: Here are simple calcul that can give an idea of how long the password is :

x : number of caracter. 100 represent an average ascii number. x/2 represent the average value that should take i.

(x100x/2)(x100x) + (x100x)(x100x) + … (x100x/2)(x100x)*x= 88692589 (5 000x^4)*x = 88692589 5 000x^5 = 88692589 x = 7.076

So this mean the password should have around 6 to 8 caracter.

BTW : Javascript is poorly coded … "substring(i,i+1)" shoud be "charAt(i)" … "sum = sum+(indexni)(indexii);" should be "sum += (indexni)(indexii);"

Ok someone correct me if I am wrong here, but according to my calculations, the password is at least 10 characters long.

function Check(checksum)
{
	var tab = &quot;                   azertyuiopqsdfghjklmwxcvbnAZERTYUIOPQSDFGHJKLMWXCVBN0123456789_$&#@&quot;;
	var entry = document.forms[1].elements[0].value;
	var n = entry.length;
	var sum = 1;
	for(var i=0;i&lt;n;i++)
	{
		var index = tab.indexOf(entry.substring(i,i+1));
		sum = sum+(index*n*i)*(index*i*i);
	}
	if(sum==checksum)
	{
		window.location = entry+&quot;.php&quot;;
	}
	else
	{
		alert(&quot;Wrong Pass!! Try Again.&quot;);
	}	
	return false;
}

Since the checksum is calculated using the sum of muliplication, if we put in all @ as our password, the max sum for 9 characters (using all @) gives us a sum of 84272401, which is less then checksum of 88692589. I hope I am wrong becuase at this point the only solution seems to be a bruteforce, which at 10 chars can take ages to run.

0 0

anything 10 chars long ends with a zero, so It looks to have to be atleast 11 characters long….

Please if I am wrong, let me know.

0 0

Ok, i ran my bruteforcer for 24 hours, tested over a 5 qradrillion password which gave me over 80 million valid passwords. I was importing those passwords into a SQL DATABASE which I was running a dicitionary attack against to remove those passwords which didn't contain atleast one valid word. All was a waste of time, non-sense and garbage.

Them a little hint was given about the format of the password. I reprogrammed my bruteforcer to take in various combinations of that format and well, I generated a very similar passowrd in 13 seconds and the actual password in 1:52 seconds in a debug build.

still don't have the points yet, cuz the page is broke. There is a mechanism to stop from bruteforcing the site for the answer. Not that I did that, but its still giving me an error… unless that's part of the challenge.

0 0

If you look some deeper in the code, the only possible password length can be 12, because the sum has to be an integer value.

Admin from hell
0 0

Got that in, In a nick of time, Woe last Post on 26-05-08

0 0

I managed to write a python script that almost instantly solves the problem (less than 1 second)

If someone is intrested in the code, PM me, and i will send it.

I don't want to give away spoilers, this is intended for people who hav ealready solved this one

Admin from hell
0 0

I'd be interested in viewing your code, I also used python for this challenge, Although that was before we changed it to accept more answers than just one.

2,795 1

pm the code i would love to see what you came up with. congrats on completing the challenge.

0 0

itaymm PM'd me mentioning that his code [REMOVED]

Since my own code was slower, I ended up modifying his code to run continuously and write matches to a file – yet I still haven't found the "right" or intended password, only a ton of collisions that work. Without looking at the forum tips, it's pretty tough.

Incidentally, I originally completed the challenge by trial and error. =)