Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Theory on 15

0 0

Ok so im kinda…messed up on this one. i think they finally made it to where you actually have to incorporate hte use of substrings. Thats something ive yet to look into much. But here is my idea on how you SHOULD be able to do it via injection. But my concern here is that there is some way of blocking URL injection on JS, because it seems on some of hte challenges you cannot alert the var via URL bar. The other problem with this one is, is that i cannot save to HD and do it the "lazy" way. it claims it cannot find it. wtf? anyways, here we go…dont read it if u havent done it yet, not sure if its really a spoiler tho, since it seems to be wrong.

[color=grey] Ok so we have…15 variables? a-o. if a+ b and so on is equal to the variable "riddle", and riddle equals query test mess, then shouldnt we be able to make each individual variable equal to a letter in that 3 word statement? so that when youve added them all together, assuming you could do abcdefghijklmno as the pass, it would work.

the idea is that you would do:

javascript:void(a=q) and then down the line of variables and all the letters of qeuery test mass. (just like the JS number 11 or seomthign. where you adjust the wait time viable JS variable.) so why couldnt you apply the same theory in this one?

What i am thinking is that the only reasons this shoudlnt work, is taht a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h+i+j+k+l+m+n+o!=query test mess. what the script is actaully checking is not what the statement says. but how is that possible? if you manually change hte variables, JS has to comply, doesnt it? Also, abcdefghjiklmno is not the same as a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h+i+j+k+l+m+n+o. That i can understand, because the first one would technically be multiplication by a mathemtical standard. So, would JS interpret the variables a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h+i+j+k+l+m+n+o as literally a plus b plus c, or would hte + sign FUCK with things?[/color]

Well, id like some feedback on this, because i thought it was a really good thought even if it doesnt work. How does it sound to you?

0 0

1)abcdefghijklmno must be 2)query test mess ok?so….

the script keep the variables in this order….

3)iengclkfdhabmoj

now to discover the password try to assign in string 3 the values that the letters have in the line 2.

for ex… in string 3 the first letter is "i". the letter i in the line 1 correspond to the letter * in line 2…and so on for each letter…..

this challenge is very simple

0 0

yes, ive also read hte article by…ah damn i cant remember. but he did an article on this one, and i understand what he's trying to say, but i hate substrings, i think theyre totally pointless. I was hoping someone could explain why what i want to do doesnt work. or if im just making a dumb mistake and it DOES work.

0 0

What i am thinking is that the only reasons this shoudlnt work, is taht a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h+i+j+k+l+m+n+o!=query test mess. what the script is actaully checking is not what the statement says

i think this is totally wrong….

javascript:void(a=q) and then down the line of variables and all the letters of qeuery test mass. (just like the JS number 11 or seomthign. where you adjust the wait time viable JS variable.) so why couldnt you apply the same theory in this one?

becouse this variable values are assigned in run time…so i think that when u click the button this values are assigned and your void forgotten.

i never changed the time value to js 11

0 0

ok i see what you mean, but what do you mean you never changed the time value in number 11?

–oh sry my bad, i had the wrong challenge number. it was just the one JS challenge where the clock was set to 32000 something until your password was revealed.

0 0

let's take the case of 'var a', it says:

var a = password.charAT(9)

and if you check in the IF condition, of course considering the order given, 'var a' should be the same as the first letter of 'riddle' , which is "q", so the 10th letter of the password is "q", great! do the same for the rest of the vars and you get a 2-word password, submit it and congratulations!

giving out more would literally be giving you the answer..

0 0

ahah, yeah god i kno, im just…erm, i a little slow sometimes.. lol.

0 0

Call me crazy, but is this mission messed up? There are two charAt functions which use the 6th char. Last time I checked, the sixth char in the password can't be two different characters. Someone enlighten me.

0 0

it could be one character, used in 2 places..(it is)

[edit] AND dont complicate it, just do it, if you find something that's a little confusing, go on, i thought i was doing it all wrong but when i got all the chars it turned out to be right..

0 0

can i ask one more question?

Is this the general rule that substrings follow?

0 0

best thing to do is work it out.. and if you cant anymore.. well its not that hard to guess from that point….

0 0

While I probably shouldn't be giving information about my own challenge, I'll try to clear a few syntax problems up. First of all, the line 'a+b+c+d+e+f+g+h+i+j+k+l+m+n+o' represents all the variables connected together. They are not added, but rather joined as one string. Had I used 'abcdefghijklmno', it would have represented a variable that had not been defined (the variable 'abcdefghijklmno' does not exist).

The reason JavaScript injection does not work on this challenge is because I made it so that the input interacts differently with the output. Instead of making a set password, the password is check with algorithm of parsing the string and analyzing it so it can not simply be alerted.

0 0

yeah that should clear some confusions.. and could u comment on my article about YOUR challenge :P ?

0 0

hence…damn. thats all i got to say. damn.

0 0

god wrote: yeah that should clear some confusions.. and could u comment on my article about YOUR challenge :P ? I think the article is a bit of a spoiler, myself. It takes away the fun of figuring out the reverse algorithm of the challenge, which is basically the challenge itself. Though it's apparently not too much of a spoiler, since people are still confused and working at it. Also, I'm curious as to how one "shows off" in a script :p > In god's article: First off you have SlimTim10 showing off It's nice to see that you firmly grasped the concept though. Good luck with number 16 (coming soon) ;)

0 0

man i cant wait, keep pumpin those JS's out dude, theyre my favorites!!.

That wouldnt hvae been as hard if i would have known how substrings work. Now i get it. thanks to you guys :D

0 0

crazy_sniper wrote: man i cant wait, keep pumpin those JS's out dude, theyre my favorites!!.

That wouldnt hvae been as hard if i would have known how substrings work. Now i get it. thanks to you guys :D No problem. And don't you worry, I'll be making hard JavaScript challenges to come. Number 16 will hopefully be quite hard and worth many points, but I've had a minor set back and had to recode it a little. Don't worry, I should be done by tomorrow.

0 0

go figure. you just HAVE to bring out the new oober hard one when i leave town for a shoot, dont you?

sigh… o well. ahaha, cant wait to see it man.

0 0

Ah. My whole problem was I completely skipped the fact that charAt will split the string into an array, meaning it starts at 0, not 1. What a stupid mistake.

0 0

Mellow Yellow wrote: Ah. My whole problem was I completely skipped the fact that charAt will split the string into an array, meaning it starts at 0, not 1. What a stupid mistake.Not really an array, but I think you get the idea. And yes, it does start at 0. But remember, a character can not be used the same as an integer (it can not be added, subtracted, multiplied, divided, etc.).

0 0

Dudes…. I didnt void a thing lol use ur heads.

0 0

this was refreshing the first decent js challenge on the site.

i just hope that lvl 14 will have like a second part with something along this lines

0 0

**SlimTim10 wrote:**Not really an array, but I think you get the idea. And yes, it does start at 0. But remember, a character can not be used the same as an integer (it can not be added, subtracted, multiplied, divided, etc.). I wasn't calling the function itself an array, but rather I was referring to the method of storage. When it is split, the values are stored into an array. Not coincidentally, they are indexed from 0 to string.length - 1.

So, my logic would be:

var array1 = new Array(string1.length + 1);

for(x=0; x<=string1.length - 1; x++) {
array1[x] = string1.substring(x,x+1);
}```

There, you would have array1[x] and charAt(x) being equal, and array1 being definitely an array. Each, when all the indexes are printed out using my example string, will give you abcdef.

My whole point being, the computer probably uses a similar method and that was my reason for saying it was similar to an array in my previous post.

**You are now exiting the slightly twisted mind of Mellow Yellow.

0 0

i think somethings wrong with this challenge because when i open up the script it says "password.charAt(6)" twice in the list of variables.

is this a mistake or is it supposed to be like that?

0 0

Yes. You will come to see that the specific character is used twice.

0 0

SlimTim10 wrote: Also, I'm curious as to how one "shows off" in a script :p

u know i was just kidding :D and it was abt that part:

markup// Written by SlimTim10

0 0

god's article said that > you also notice that 'riddle' has as much characters as the number of a,b,c,etc.'s but when i counted it riddle which is "query test mess" has **13 **letters while there are 15 abc's. am i missing something?

0 0

most of you guys are just complicating things anyway… took 2 minutes using notepad and logic.

course, i could've written a program to do the trick… but why waste 10 mins writing the program when it can be done in 2 mins?

0 0

err i probably am complicating it but wat u jst said there doesnt tell me much …

0 0

phoenix121 wrote: most of you guys are just complicating things anyway… took 2 minutes using notepad and logic.

course, i could've written a program to do the trick… but why waste 10 mins writing the program when it can be done in 2 mins?

true, thats how i solved it, but writing an app for this particular challenge will really reinforce people's javascript coding experience..

0 0

to all replying without reading the whole thread

there is already enough info both here and on the article

don't spoil the challenge by giving more

0 0

Well the thing was, is that i had never gotten to learning substrings. This really helped me out on how htey work, so im happy :)

0 0

hey guys do spaces count as characters? for eg. "query test mess" has 2 spaces so do they count as characters?

nvm i got it. should i edit that top sentence too?

0 0

sakarin wrote: to all replying without reading the whole thread

there is already enough info both here and on the article

don't spoil the challenge by giving moreAt first glance, I would agree with that statement. But think about it more deeply. Why are the challenges made? Why does HBH exist? It's okay to have some spoilers like the ones in this thread, since they explain how it works instead of giving a curious answer. The point of the JavaScript challenges is to learn more JavaScript, including syntax and commands. This thread helps explain more advanced syntax which is great. ;)