Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Python - Port scanning.

0 0

Hi All, So, I've decided recently that Id start into python due to its flexibility and many areas of application. I'm currently looking into port scanning. I have written my own scanner (fully working) which I assume is full tcp connect, but I want to investigate syn, ack scans etc, but from what I've come across so far seems to suggest Id have to use scapy, or some other collaboration in order to go beyond full connect scans. :/

Can anyone clarify if this is the case?

I'm not in it for the purpose of creating a scanner, because that would be pointless, what I want is to understand and learn pythons full capabilities with regards sockets and networks and then utilize it.

Any help much appreciated :)

0 0

Nobody???!

0 0

You don't HAVE to use scapy, but it would definitely make your life a lot easier. If you insist on modeling the packets yourself, look through the RFC for the packet type of whatever scan you're trying to implement.

I've used scapy a few times in the past, and I thought it worked really well though.

0 0

Thanks Lolly, that's all I needed to hear. I may resort to scapy eventually, but my ultimate goal is to work entirely off python for now and learn its full potential alone. I will battle through the RFCs for now and see how it goes.

Thanks for your response, much appreciated :D

0 0

One more thing: wireshark is your friend. Use it to make sure you are sending and receiving the correct packets.