Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Java Programming Help

0 2

I am currently going to class for programming, and our challenge this week was all about classless objects. Not that it matters, but I decided to do mine on Linux Distro\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s; and a portion of the project was to let the user select a range, and then divide that range into 10 equal increments. Then display a histogram ( bar graph ) that displays those that fall into each of the increments.

I have gotten my code to work, no problem there. The problem is I believe there is a more efficient way to do it, and I just cannot see it. It is just bugging the hell out of me, and I just can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t look at this one section of code without thinking that there has to be a better way of doing it without utilizing a 11 branch if statement. Was just hoping that someone else could see what I can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t.

//START CODE```markup for( int ix=0; ix<length; ix++ ){

if( distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; lowB ){

}else if( distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; (lowB + increment) )
		occur[0]++;
	else if( distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; (lowB + (increment*2)) )
		occur[1]++;
	else if( distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; (lowB + (increment*3)) )
		occur[2]++;
	else if( distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; (lowB + (increment*4)) )
		occur[3]++;
	else if( distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; (lowB + (increment*5)) )
		occur[4]++;
	else if( distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; (lowB + (increment*6)) )
		occur[5]++;
	else if( distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; (lowB + (increment*7)) )
		occur[6]++;
	else if( distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; (lowB + (increment*8)) )
		occur[7]++;
	else if( distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; (lowB + (increment*9)) )
		occur[8]++;
	else if( distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; highB )
		occur[9]++;
}

What the function is doing is loading up an array with the portions of data that fall into that realm.  Increment is equal to (highB - lowB)/10, the length of the distro[] array can be any number, lowB and highB and user input, and occur[] is just an array I created to store the occurances of each of the increments, and distro[] .sizeMB is equal to the size of the Linux Distro in MB.

I love efficient code, and I know there has to be a way to execute what this does with a lot less code involved.  I keep thinking it has to do with changing out the (increment*#) and the occur[#] with an equation from ix, but since the length is undefined I just can&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#92;&#39;t see the equation...

This is in Java by the way.  Probably should have mentioned that earlier..

0 2

Alright, I figured it out. I ended up just nesting a for loop inside the original for loop:

for( int ix=0; ix&lt;length; ix++ ){
	for(int ixx=0; ixx&lt;10; ixx++){

if(distro[ix] ._sizeMB &gt;= lowB && 
				distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; (lowB + increment ) ){
			occur[0]++;
			break;

}else if(distro[ix] ._sizeMB &gt;= lowB && 
			distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; (lowB + (increment * (ixx+1) ) ) ){
			occur[ixx]++;
			break;
		}

}
}

In my mind, this is much more elegant then how I orginially had it; hate having more then 3 or 4 if statements, it just looks ugly. Sad that I spent so much time on what ended up being quite simple in a way.

It was still bugging me because technically it would still take the same amount of processor time to run the improvement that I wrote above as a regular 11 branch if statement. Think I found the most optimized way to write the code.

for( int ix=0; ix&lt;length; ix++ ){
	if(distro[ix] ._sizeMB &gt; lowB && distro[ix] ._sizeMB &lt; highB){
		indexD = (distro[ix] ._sizeMB) - lowB;
		index = (int) (indexD / increment);

occur[index]++;
	}
}