Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

VB6 Program not recognized

0 0

I have a program that was written in VB6 that is not recognized as a valid program. I tried to run it, and it brought up a command line box and died. So I ran it through cmd.exe and it says "this program cannot be run in DOS mode" Then I tried to open it with olly and it said it was not a valid 32 bit application and it can open it in 16 bit mode. I said ok and it dumped the code to print "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" I opened it in IDA Pro as a 32 bit binary, and I saw a bunch of the VB6 function calls and the name of the company that wrote it etc.

And yes the libraries are installed.

Story behind is that the programmer for a car wash got mad, said screw you guys and ran off with the source code and shortly after that the machine that took credit cards died.

Any suggestions on how to get this working? thanks wired_al

0 0

wired_al wrote: I have a program that was written in VB6…

Story behind is that the programmer for a car wash got mad, said screw you guys and ran off with the source code and shortly after that the machine that took credit cards died. The credit card machine uses Visual Basic??? :wow: Also, how could there have only been one person who had the only copies of the source code. Did the car wash make their own credit card readers?

wired_al wrote: Any suggestions on how to get this working? Nope.

EDIT: I'll try to be a bit more helpful. What happened to the program to make it stop working? Did the hard drive fail? Are you sure the programmer didn't mess with it before he left?

0 0

Well, I am not sure he didn't do something, in fact, I kind of wonder if the PE headers are messed up or something. I was not told how the computer died, just that it did and that they built a new one with the exact same specs and OS. It complained about missing libraries, so I installed the VB6 runtime and then it gave me the same problems I got on my computer.

Also, the machine that takes credit cards is not technically running the program, the program is communicating with the credit card machine via a COM port and the program takes the data and stores it in a MSACCESS database.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks wired_al

0 0

Maybe connect to the COM port yourself, with the language of your choice and see the actual data coming in. You could put it into a DB from there.