Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Can Python...?

0 0

Hi guys/gals, this isn't a "how do i?" thread.

I just want to know if python is able to do the following things:

query system information ( such as OS, Hardware, Applications list)

Scan ports (An Nmap style scanner)

FTP/TFPT

SSH/Telnet

Run FTP/TFPT/SSH/Telnet server (if implanted on a remote machine)

reproduce itself (like a worm)

Hog resources

manipulate file structure and permisions

run its own GUI

If any of these are stupid please say….

I'll try figure out how to do it myself :)

0 0

yes. and most can be done with the standard lib that comes with python.

0 0

can't you do all those things with any language that's Turing complete?

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Languages don't reproduce themselves, code does. That one is stilly to ask about since even bash can do that. And hog resources? Really?

print "I'm hogging resources."```

As for the rest, python is capable of doing those things if you program it to do so.

Banned
0 0

They were all stupid questions, btw. Not sure why no one here told you that yet. Also, you might be interested in Ruby, it has some great advantages over Python.

0 0

I'd love to hear those advantages, the so called "conceptual elegance" of Ruby? Fuck that. If you choose to use a particular programming language it is merely because you prefer the way it solves your specific problem.

Banned
0 0

random wrote: I'd love to hear those advantages, the so called "conceptual elegance" of Ruby? Fuck that. If you choose to use a particular programming language it is merely because you prefer the way it solves your specific problem.

Yes. It's a preference, perhaps I should've stated this. The whitespace in Python kills me.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonVsRuby

0 0

I actually qouted from that same link.

Banned
0 0

random wrote: I actually qouted from that same link.

Oh. Well, you could call ROR an advantage I guess.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

spyware wrote: The whitespace in Python kills me.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonVsRuby There doesn't need to be much whitespace. While that link says "Python assumes a tab setting of 8", it's wrong. You only need to have consistent tabbing. Your tabs can be just one space if you want and it'll work just fine.

EDIT: You can also put multiple commands on the same line separated by semicolons too if saving space makes you happy.

0 0

Spacing is a good thing. It forces us to use clean code; well visually cleaner. You can still have messy shit for code though.

Honestly, learn C++ before Python. You get a better understanding of memory allocation. With Python being so loosely typed its hard to move onto other strongly typed languages.

0 0

I'm new to programming so wasn't sure if only specific languages could do they things