Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

.SAV files

0 0

I have several .sav files produced by a program for school. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to open them without the original program?

I've googled common ways of coding the function that produces the .sav file with no luck.

If nothing else, will a debugger like ollydbg help me with this?

0 -1

what's the name of the application, and what does it do?

I think this file was meant only to be created, edited and saved by the very application itself.

You can try reversing the sav file and see what it does, but it also depends on how skilled you are in this area.

0 0

fuser wrote: what's the name of the application, and what does it do?

I think this file was meant only to be created, edited and saved by the very application itself.

You can try reversing the sav file and see what it does, but it also depends on how skilled you are in this area.

It is called hawks learning. It is used to teach math. The sav is created when you "certify" in the given lessons. It also gives you certification codes to print out, which is also the way you can view its contents.

I'm working on a script to compare all the sav byte per byte. I noticed only certan bytes change while viewing in a hex editor. Maybe I could change something around and try to submit it, but that may raise flags on Hawks servers.

I think it would be easier to trick the program that produces the sav with a debugger.

0 -1

so it creates a sav file when you've finished a course, as well as certification codes when for you to view on their servers, so the sav file would be sent directly to the servers, right?

yeah, I think their servers would have detected someone playing around with the sav files. I think you should find the component in the application that generates the file and certification codes, it seems more plausible.

Banned
0 0

Just do your math homework.

0 0

I have already completed that math course. I was just going to see if the program could be exploited.

To clear up what exactly goes on: The program creates the sav after I complete a lesson. That sav file contains the certification code, and time and date I am assuming and so on.

I then submit that sav to the hawks learning website, which gives me the grade for completion. If I am online, the program submits it for me.

I have the source for the submit page, as well as the page that checks what has been submitted.

0 0

spyware wrote: Just do your math homework.

True dat.

0 -1

techb wrote: I have already completed that math course. I was just going to see if the program could be exploited.

To clear up what exactly goes on: The program creates the sav after I complete a lesson. That sav file contains the certification code, and time and date I am assuming and so on.

I then submit that sav to the hawks learning website, which gives me the grade for completion. If I am online, the program submits it for me.

I have the source for the submit page, as well as the page that checks what has been submitted.

that clears it up a bit. Is there anything that stands out from both submission and submission checking page?