Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

I'd like to learn PHP/MySQL without installing Apache.

0 0

I've googled and found no good answers and I want specific help. I want to learn PHP/MySQL without install Apache. I don't want to take security risks and I don't know much about servers. On Windows, I had XAMPP installed for a short time and learned the basics of PHP. I want to be able to do what I want and experiment with PHP/MySQL without installing Apache and needing to configure everything myself and whatever. I don't have a lot of security knowledge, that's why I'm learning about things. How can anyone get very good experience with them and have real freedom with them without installing a server on their computer? Also, is it not worth worrying too much about installing Apache/PHP/MySQL? I use Linux. I don't know the security risks and I've read about it for quite a while. If it is worth worrying about for someone who doesn't know anything about it really, what can be done without paying money for web hosting? I don't want to spend any money.

0 0

prdeltoid wrote: … what can be done without paying money for web hosting? I don't want to spend any money. Get a free web host that lets you use PHP http://www.free-webhosts.com/

0 0

I looked at a couple, and they all seem to say that you're limited to one MySQL database or something like that. It seems like they're limited enough that they wouldn't be all that great for experimenting. I would really not like to install a server. It's unnecessarily risky and seems to be too much trouble to go through other than the fact there's no other way to do it evidently.

0 0

I've had an apache server on my computer for the last few years. I only have it running when I need it (which isn't very much) and I haven't had any problems. I wouldn't say its unnecessarily risky. If the free web hosts aren't good enough for you then install your own server. You can probably make it more secure somehow by not allowing anyone except you to access it - I haven't used Apache recently so can't remember the details.

0 0

On Windows I used: Order deny,allow deny from all allow from localhost

Would that be as good at securing it as it seems or should I read a tutorial?

I used it where in the comments it says "this is where it's determined who can 'get stuff' from this server" or something along those lines.

0 0

Sorry, I can't remember anything about that. Someone else here might be able to help or you could read a tutorial like you said.

Banned
0 0

OP, excellent choice! Might I recommend lighttpd.

0 0

I'm sorry, I thought I already wrote that I'm using Linux. When I was using Windows, that's the way I had it set up … so that would be plenty? That wouldn't take care of all security problems though, would it?

0 0

LAMP server. The exact same as a WAMP server but with Linux. Also, I find a free web host like 000webhost to be just as easy to work with. They even let you use a database.

0 0

But if Order deny,allow deny from all allow from localhost would be enough that I wouldn't have to worry about it, then it's not extremely complex to set everything up is it? Besides, do you have to do a lot of configuring if you install Apache/PHP/MySQL using packages? I'm using Ubuntu. NotMyFault, when I read that on a few free PHP/MySQL web hosting sites, I thought that sounded like enough of a restriction to limit what you can do with it.

The Manager
0 0

okay…If you have an internet connection on the computer people will be able to access it. The easiest way is to have a box (or virtual machine) with no network hook up to do this. Of course you could always just set your router to deny all packets going to the internal IP you assigned the machine…there are many options here. Pick one. Play with it. Learn from it. GROW!

0 0

prdeltoid wrote: NotMyFault, when I read that on a few free PHP/MySQL web hosting sites, I thought that sounded like enough of a restriction to limit what you can do with it. I've never found free web hosts too restricting. You can make lots of tables in one database instead of lots of databases to store different types of information.

I also recommend 000webhost

0 0

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll go with the free web hosting, 000webhosting was one of the few I looked at before, too.

0 0

starofale wrote: [quote]prdeltoid wrote: NotMyFault, when I read that on a few free PHP/MySQL web hosting sites, I thought that sounded like enough of a restriction to limit what you can do with it. I've never found free web hosts too restricting. You can make lots of tables in one database instead of lots of databases to store different types of information.

I also recommend 000webhost[/quote] me too. My site is hosted on 000webhost and I don't find it very restricting.

0 0

Fine just use php-cli. and run the scripts from terminal. Also grow a pair just install them

Ninja Extreme
0 0

OP, you're over complicating things.

Install XAMPP. Really, it's not that much of a security risk.

First off, if you have a router it almost certainly blocks incoming packets so you'll be fine from the outside network. If your really paranoid, there are plenty of other options such as setting up your firewall to block connections to port 80 from anywhere but localhost, or tell apache to run on the "lo" interface only, or configure apache to accept connections from only one host (yours), etc… There is a lot of different ways to do this, and you're making it seem like some mystical, magical, ability that can't be performed without being a 31337 computer hacker when it's really very simple.

Retired
10 0

Or, just use ULMB.com

Free includes :

500 GB Bandwidth 5GB Mem 3 Mysql Tables PHP support

Admin from hell
0 0

MoshBat wrote:

Oh, I forgot about this little gem. From: prdeltoid Date:June 08 2010 - 17:56:19 Subject:My password.

I'd like to have my password completely eradicated from this server.

I could grant him that wish. ;)

Edit: fuckin' smileys.