Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Can someone explain the difference here? (Dynamic Memory)

0 0

I realize this is a very noobish question but can someone explain to me the difference between these two snippets of code?

The way I understand it, CODE 2 should not compile. However, under Dev C++, it compiles and runs fineā€¦.which makes me wonder why would you use CODE 1.

CODE 1 #include <iostream> #include <new> using namespace std;

int main () { int i,n; int * p; cout << "How many numbers would you like to type? "; cin >> i; p= new (nothrow) int[i];

CODE 2 #include <iostream> #include <new> using namespace std;

int main () { int i,n; cout << "How many numbers would you like to type? "; cin >> i; int p[i];

0 0

from my noobish point of view both pieces of code are fine. In c++ there is a dynamic memory allocation so np with that. In general you should use code 1. Code 2 is ok till you use value types when you use objects then you need code 1 and explicit constructor calls. In fact I may be wrong, please correct or delete my post if so.

0 0

Ok. That clears a bit up then. Thanks

0 0

Code 2 should according to old standards indeed not compile. However, certain compilers do offer that type of behaviour, though it shouldn't be allowed. If I recall correctly though, newer standards allow for it or they are at least planning on changing to allow code 2 as well. But, it'll basically result in the same thing as code 1, or at least should.