Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Google in python?

0 0

I know the debate on what googles crawler is written, and I haven't looked into what it uses today but in the early days of google stanford says it was first implemented in python:

"""…In order to scale to hundreds of millions of web pages, Google has a fast distributed crawling system. A single URLserver serves lists of URLs to a number of crawlers (we typically ran about 3). Both the URLserver and the crawlers are implemented in Python."""

link to paper: http://www.infolab.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html *the url tag wouldn't work with the link. IDk why…

True? I don't know, this could be a fake. But then again why would some one take that much effort into writing the paper?

0 0

Broken Link. :(

0 0

I don't know why it doesn't work…

google search = stanford python google

it should be the first link titled: "The Anatomy of a Search Engine"

I discovered it while working on timed6. Which is complete now if any one cares. Found a nifty google module to pares(spelling?) searches.

0 0

a url tag didn't work with that either test

0 0

i was going for something a link like this…

Ninja Extreme
0 0

I could see python being used as the original web crawler, it tends to be used for applications of that type. However, with the massive amount of crawling/searching google has to do since they've became the size they are now, I highly doubt they would still rely on such a slow language. It's just really inefficient to have to purchase more/faster hardware when you could simply redesign the code once and not have to worry as much about increasing processing power.

0 0

I've heard it is written in ASM now. I could be wrong though.

0 1

ASM sounds impractical for Google to use, since it's platform specific, and we're talking the world leader in Internet services, so this is a major hindrance.

If they said they now use Ruby, well, I might believe it. Where did you hear about it.

0 0

It was here on HBH, I don't remember who said it though.

0 1

huh, whoever said it is either pulling your leg or is plain clueless on web applications.

0 0

eh… It doesn't matter.

I don't really care what its written in. Sure it would be interesting to know, but not useful.

I thought it was interesting because I code in python.

I thought it was coded in C/++.

0 1

you're not the first one. When I first heard about it, I assumed that it can only be done in C/C++ or some other language. But then I learned about scripting languages, and while the original crawler might have been done in Python, I'll bet it's now written in Ruby.

0 0

Pretty sure it's true google always goes on about python being at the heart of it some shit. I don't knwo about noadays though.

0 0

fuser wrote: you're not the first one. When I first heard about it, I assumed that it can only be done in C/C++ or some other language. But then I learned about scripting languages, and while the original crawler might have been done in Python, I'll bet it's now written in Ruby.

Why Ruby over Python?

0 1

after a brief search, I discovered that it is possible that python is just part of it. There are parts of it written in C++, and they recruit people who use other languages as well.

And this link seems to be the most conclusive:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/754301/what-programming-language-is-google-written-in

post #17 of this thread gives the complete list:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=673630

aaanndd here's from one of the google's devs themselves:

http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2007/06/rhino-on-rails.html

edit: techb, the reason why I think they might be using Ruby because I heard it's faster than Python, but I'm just learning, so I might be wrong until someone posts a benchmark between several different languages.

0 0

they love python and c++. Go is pretty much c++ getting python drunk the reusltant one night stand.

0 0

I've looked a little into GO and wasn't really impressed. I've heard a lot of bad things about it also.

0 0

techb wrote: I've looked a little into GO and wasn't really impressed. I've heard a lot of bad things about it also. Go has a lot of good features that were always around just never picked up by the mainstream imo

Ninja Extreme
0 0

techb wrote: I've looked a little into GO and wasn't really impressed. I've heard a lot of bad things about it also.

Google has to have their own version of everything. Their own email, their own phone, their own social media site, their own programing language, etc. Sure, they have varying levels of success, but keep in mind that a goal of world domination takes more than just a search engine site. :right:

0 0

If they where to team up with pinky and the brain…. lets just say, Adolf would be jealous.

0 1

hey, they'll soon have their own proper OS, (unlike Chrome OS), followed by their own cell phone provider, tv station, physical media, recording companies, video game and hardware sub-divisions, so it won't take long for them to achieve world domination, if Apple doesn't stop them first (since Apple seems intent on taking the whole world)

0 1

hmm. It won't be long now, then. Oh god, the future will be run by Mac-loving hipsters, what could be worse? Other than a neo-fascist/stalinist dictatorship or another war. On second thought, it might not sound that bad, except the fact that their music might be jarring to my ears and that their choice of beer and ironic t-shirts punches holes in my brain whenever I see one.

0 1

that will be terrible indeed. Kids who think that you're a poser when they're clueless about the 'scene' they represent. Happened to me once, a bunch of kids called me a poser cause I was wearing a Misfits t-shirt, and when I asked them if they knew who the Misfits were, they have no idea. facepalm

then again, being ruled by clueless people is nothing new. Only it'll be more annoying.