Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Accelerometer Hat [UPDATE]

0 0

I have a complete prototype.

Against my wife's better judgment, I'm showing pictures of the hat. I moved from the BasicStamp PICs to Arduino(ATMega168).

It supports both left and right clicks and drag-n-drop. Left button= pushbutton. Right button = piezo element.

I know the button thats in the mouth looks bulky, but I don't have a smaller piezo yet.

incase the images don't show up in the thread, here's the links:

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/Tech_B/2.jpg http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/Tech_B/3.jpg http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/Tech_B/4.jpg http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/Tech_B/5.jpg http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/Tech_B/1.jpg

0 0

It will be allot cleaner.

This is just the prototype.

I have a Arduino Pro Mini, which will fit under the lip thing inside the hat. I'm also going to use conductive thread to eliminate all the messy wires; except the one that runs to the mouth.

0 0

I've thought about using something like that, but I don't really like the look of them, plus it would be "too big". It has to be comfortable with his wheel chair, and the bill wrapping around the entire head makes it hard for him with his wheel chair head rest.

Admin from hell
0 0

I think it's cool as hell, man. Keep up the nice work.

Admin from hell
0 0

Hmm, Idea!

0 0

Not screw, but maybe Velcro? lol

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Impressive work. :)

And, yeah, drilling is probably the best way to go. Unless you happen to have a welding kit around.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]stealth- wrote: And, yeah, drilling is probably the best way to go. Unless you happen to have a welding kit around. Flesh tends to catch fire rather than just melt.[/quote]

Well, there is only one (entertaining) way to find out, isn't there?

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]stealth- wrote: And, yeah, drilling is probably the best way to go. Unless you happen to have a welding kit around. Flesh tends to catch fire rather than just melt.[/quote]

I watched a family of 4 burn to death in a trailer fire. A meth lab blew near my home, I was the only one home that day….

Well anyway, back to the point. There skin did catch fire, but it did melt a lot more than burn. I watched them carry out the two kids, and when they placed them in a body bag the skin stuck to fire fighter's suits.

Oh, and it wasn't entertaining. The screaming flames haunt me to this day.

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]stealth- wrote: And, yeah, drilling is probably the best way to go. Unless you happen to have a welding kit around. Flesh tends to catch fire rather than just melt.[/quote] You could place the person in an inert atmosphere and then try to weld it. :)

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]goluhaque wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]stealth- wrote: And, yeah, drilling is probably the best way to go. Unless you happen to have a welding kit around. Flesh tends to catch fire rather than just melt.[/quote] You could place the person in an inert atmosphere and then try to weld it. :)[/quote] … Welding is done with a flame, right?[/quote] The end objective is to melt the 2 substances enough so that they fuse with each other. We could use a kind of heater. :D

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]goluhaque wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]goluhaque wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]stealth- wrote: And, yeah, drilling is probably the best way to go. Unless you happen to have a welding kit around. Flesh tends to catch fire rather than just melt.[/quote] You could place the person in an inert atmosphere and then try to weld it. :)[/quote] … Welding is done with a flame, right?[/quote] The end objective is to melt the 2 substances enough so that they fuse with each other. We could use a kind of heater. :D[/quote] Ignoring the fact that flesh is reasonably weak. Bone, however, can hold bolts.[/quote] Hmm, If we place the man in vacuum, we can then try to weld the cap to the bone. But you are right, drilling is a lot easier and cheap.

0 0

Okay, how about drilling bolts, then soldering the components to the bolts?

Meeting in the middle between both sides of this argument.

And the common perception on welding is with a torch, and with its own fuel source, it does not need surrounding oxygen, because it has a supply of its own.

0 0

techb wrote:

And the common perception on welding is with a torch, and with its own fuel source, it does not need surrounding oxygen, because it has a supply of its own. Well, couldn't that oxygen cause the skin to burn?

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]goluhaque wrote: [quote]techb wrote:

And the common perception on welding is with a torch, and with its own fuel source, it does not need surrounding oxygen, because it has a supply of its own. Well, couldn't that oxygen cause the skin to burn?[/quote] Combustion, look it up.[/quote] Of course it will.

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]goluhaque wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]goluhaque wrote: [quote]techb wrote:

And the common perception on welding is with a torch, and with its own fuel source, it does not need surrounding oxygen, because it has a supply of its own. Well, couldn't that oxygen cause the skin to burn?[/quote] Combustion, look it up.[/quote] Of course it will.[/quote] Oxygen is required, and unless I was tripping every chemistry lesson, I believe that in most combustions, Oxygen is used up, or rather, becomes part of another compound, meaning it won't be fit for another combustion. Take this example: 2H2 + O2 = 2H2O

Can you burn water vapour?[/quote]

combustion is oxidisation, all you need is something to steal some electrons from whatever you are burning. You can burn stuff in chlorine for example. I suppose hydrogen peroxide is burnt water.

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]wolfmankurd wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]goluhaque wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: [quote]goluhaque wrote: [quote]techb wrote:

And the common perception on welding is with a torch, and with its own fuel source, it does not need surrounding oxygen, because it has a supply of its own. Well, couldn't that oxygen cause the skin to burn?[/quote] Combustion, look it up.[/quote] Of course it will.[/quote] Oxygen is required, and unless I was tripping every chemistry lesson, I believe that in most combustions, Oxygen is used up, or rather, becomes part of another compound, meaning it won't be fit for another combustion. Take this example: 2H2 + O2 = 2H2O

Can you burn water vapour?[/quote]

combustion is oxidisation, all you need is something to steal some electrons from whatever you are burning. You can burn stuff in chlorine for example. I suppose hydrogen peroxide is burnt water.[/quote] True, but there isn't any chlorine running around in this equation. [/quote] All this assuming that the acetylene or whatever is used as the combustible gas is isn excess or is provided in an amount so as to use Oxygen completely 2C2H2 + 5O2 —–> 4CO2 + 2H2O That is for every 5 moles of O2 or 80 gms of it, 2 moles of C2H2 or 26 gms of C2H2 are provided. But then, is this assumption correct?

0 0

I'll be honest with you guys I haven't read the begining of this thread? why exactly does it need to be in precise stoichiometry?

Anyways from personal experience they usually supply the oxygen otherwise it's too hard to make it burn hot enough to do proper work.]

goluhaque wrote: 5 moles of O2 or 80 gms This stands out as wrong. oxygen is atmoic number 8. but mass number 16 usually. so o2 =32. 5 moles gives 160g? I'm guessing you need to check the rest of the work too.

goluhaque wrote: Well, couldn't that oxygen cause the skin to burn?

Oxygen in of it's self wont cause you to burn or even breathed in have ANY effects at all at sea temp/pressure blood can't take on extra oxygen (even at 100% thats why in movies you see blood saturation is at almost 100% anyways) so people getting high off oxygen is bs (in normal conditions). What is interesting is! people with copd end up with messed up breathing regulation give them 100% oxygen and they stop breathing and actually suffocate :D

The fuel on the other hand could cause damage(maybe)… however the gas around the flame is so hot that I suspect whats left other would combust in air like when you turn the oxygen supply too low on a bunsun burner.

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: I'll be honest with you guys I haven't read the begining of this thread? why exactly does it need to be in precise stoichiometry?

Anyways from personal experience they usually supply the oxygen otherwise it's too hard to make it burn hot enough to do proper work.]

[quote]goluhaque wrote: 5 moles of O2 or 80 gms This stands out as wrong. oxygen is atmoic number 8. but mass number 16 usually. so o2 =32. 5 moles gives 160g? I'm guessing you need to check the rest of the work too.

Oxygen in of it's self wont cause you to burn or even breathed in have ANY effects at all at sea temp/pressure blood can't take on extra oxygen (even at 100% thats why in movies you see blood saturation is at almost 100% anyways) so people getting high off oxygen is bs (in normal conditions). What is interesting is! people with copd end up with messed up breathing regulation give them 100% oxygen and they stop breathing and actually suffocate :D

The fuel on the other hand could cause damage(maybe)… however the gas around the flame is so hot that I suspect whats left other would combust in air like when you turn the oxygen supply too low on a bunsun burner.[/quote]

To add, and maybe help explain better:

Fire dose not burn anyone or anything, the heat that fire produces does. I'm sure that most of you know that though.

And I like how this post went from a project for the handicapped/disabled to a chemistry lesson lol. I took Chem. 3 years, fun but not my best class. I was passed with a B, and I had 5 exams out and I can't tell you how many times I never turned in my homework.

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: I'll be honest with you guys I haven't read the begining of this thread? why exactly does it need to be in precise stoichiometry?

[quote]goluhaque wrote: 5 moles of O2 or 80 gms This stands out as wrong. oxygen is atmoic number 8. but mass number 16 usually. so o2 =32. 5 moles gives 160g? I'm guessing you need to check the rest of the work too.

The fuel on the other hand could cause damage(maybe)… however the gas around the flame is so hot that I suspect whats left other would combust in air like when you turn the oxygen supply too low on a bunsun burner.[/quote] LOL sorry, weight of 1 O2 mol should be 32g and the weight of 5 moles 160g. My bad The rest of the calculation is correct. Also, O2 alone won't cause the skin to burn, the skin when heated along with O2, that will burn. Anyway, the guy is tortured enough, let's leave it.

Admin from hell
0 0

goluhaque wrote: Anyway, the guy is tortured enough, let's leave it.

That is about enough nonsense, You guy's took this from a man trying to help the disabled to something totally stupid and off-topic. No more posts on welding shit to the guys face, else lock time.

Admin from hell
0 0

If the OP has more to add to update the project that's great but bolting or welding? Think you might want to remove it at some point and time?

Admin from hell
0 0

This is an awesome project and I hope you continues with it, Just don't want the thread destroyed to ruin his intentions.

0 0

Anyway, exactly what does the cap do, techb? Looks to me like a transmitter/radio.

0 0

Okay okay, on topic,… techb look into jeenodes (jeeNodev4) two of them is cheaper than an arduino they are designed for remote use( I've tested them in my house and they work from one end of my garden through most of the house to my bedroom on the otherside!). They are arduino compatible(not pin compatible) and you use them same software for both. However you need a FTDI breakoutboard to connect them (which you must have if you use a mini anyways)

And there is a perfect I2C 3D accelerometer plug (plug's are jeenode's equvilent of a arduino shield)(gravity plug)… I would actually reccomend a jeelink (in the non prototype model) it has no ports but you can assign remote ports. plug the gplug into the jeenode on his hat and you're good to go.

Here's my g-meter to monitor corners in a car… quiet similar. Arduino mini pro + HD44780 + Accelerometer. If you want to stick with a mini this might help. http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f117/g-meter-13772/

But seriously the jeenode+jeelink+gravity-plug is perfect. It's almost as though he designed it just for you. It's arduino compatible and he provides the 2 libraries you need to handle the I2C with example code which is precisely what you seem to be doing yourself…

0 0

@Wolfmankurd=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= To program the JeeNode, could I go the route of plugging in the TX/RX to RX/TX like I do my mini? How did you go about doing it?

This would also be the route I take if I was going wireless. I wish I seen this thing before my uncle sent me all this Arduino stuff. I still love the Arduino and Arduino Pro Mini, but the JeeNode looks more production friendly.

I was trying to find the power consumption on the JeeNode, any idea how long a 9volt would last? That's the issue I'm having with the arduino, it kills batterys too quick to be wireless. And thaks wolfmankurd for the links. You may have turned me onto something else I could spend my paychecks on lol. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I apalogize for making a new thread for the update, I was feeling a bit lazy the day I made the thread.

Venturing off topic isn't all bad, I enjoyed the morbid humor.

Oh and can anyone see my sig? I can't.

0 0

techb wrote: To program the JeeNode, could I go the route of plugging in the TX/RX to RX/TX like I do my mini? How did you go about doing it?

anyway you program you rmini should work, I use one of sparkfun's FTDI breakout boards the jeenode has male pin's which slot into it, I think i had to add the header to the mini myself(oh wait, I should mention this the jeenode comes in kit form with all the parts it's all simple through hole soldering except the RF12 module which is SMD but has huge pads so it's easy).

techb wrote: I was trying to find the power consumption on the JeeNode, any idea how long a 9volt would last? That's the issue I'm having with the arduino, it kills batterys too quick to be wireless.

Here's the spec [url=http://news.jeelabs.org/docs/jn4 specs.html]jeenodev4 spec[/url] it's 12mA/35mA depending on the radio is on or off. Well the jeenode is a 3.3v device (but the regulator means it can run off up to 13v) trouble is at 9v nearly 2/3 of your power is being wasted as heat so I'm not surprised you are getting dissapointing battery life.

techb wrote: And thaks wolfmankurd for the links. You may have turned me onto something else I could spend my paychecks on lol.

I apalogize for making a new thread for the update, I was feeling a bit lazy the day I made the thread.

Venturing off topic isn't all bad, I enjoyed the morbid humor.

Oh and can anyone see my sig? I can't

No problem maybe if I can get enough people signed up I can get free stuff :D also nor can I see your sig.

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote:

(oh wait, I should mention this the jeenode comes in kit form with all the parts it's all simple through hole soldering except the RF12 module which is SMD but has huge pads so it's easy).

My soldering skills suck. I can't tell you how many transistors and diodes I've fried. I was scared I burnt up my accelerometer for the hat. I tried fitting it into a chip mount, but the leads on the accelerometer where really thick and didn't fit well. Lucky it still works lol.

wolfmankurd wrote: No problem maybe if I can get enough people signed up I can get free stuff :D also nor can I see your sig.

What kind of free stuff? And what site? I may be interested.

And kudos for the stuff you did to your car. I been planning to do something with my car, scrolling text, GPS logger, custom mp3 stereo system, and now the accelerometer. They will probably never accumulate to anything due to work, school, and pure laziness.

0 0

I changed it. I didn't know if it was just me.

0 0

I think it suits me. Its the same sig in another forum I post in. found here

It shows up a bit smaller here though.