Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Project Euler problem 7 - Javascript

0 0

ProjectEuler wrote: By listing the first six prime numbers: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, and 13, we can see that the 6th prime is 13.

What is the 10001st prime number?

Here is my code

<script type="text/javascript">
var d = 0;
for(i=0;i<=999999999;i++){
 for(a=i;a>=0;a--){             //Is it prime?
  if(i%a!=0){                     
   document.write(i+"<br>"); 
   d++;
    if(d==10001){                //Alert 10,001st
     alert(i);                      
    }
   }
  }
 }
}
</script>

It's not the most optimized, but it should get the job done. It doesn't print anything out, and doesn't alert anything. What am I doing wrong?

0 0

My count might be off here, but I see 4 opening braces and 5 closing ones.

Error Console?

Admin from hell
0 0

Define is right on the money. Remove one of your closing braces and it will work fine.

0 0

Thanks. Now it works. But I also figured out that it's faulty.

It doesn't just tell me if the number is prime, it tells me every time a number lower than 'i' doesn't go evenly into 'i'.

So here is another idea: If I set a boolean variable, prime, to true. Then during the second for loop, I can check if i%a == 0, and if it is, I'll set prime to false. So at the end of the loop, if prime is still true, then I'll know that it's a prime number.

I'll post back when I have a working script.

Edit: Also, in the second for loop, I wrote for(a=i;a>=0;a–) But then it would also check if i%i == 0, and if i%1 == 0, and they both would, so it would always report back non-prime.

Editedit:

This is my current code, and I've triple checked the number of braces, but still it just freezes firefox. What did I do wrong?

<script type="text/javascript">
var d = 0;
var prime = true;
while( d < 10002 ){
 for(i=3;i<=9999999;i++){
  prime = true;
  for(a=(i-1);a>=2;a--){ 
   if(i%a==0){
    prime = false;
   }
  }
  if( prime == true ){
   d++;
   document.write(i+"<br>");
  }
 }
}
alert(d);
</script>

0 0

s3klyma wrote: So here is another idea: If I set a boolean variable, prime, to true. Then during the second for loop, I can check if i%a == 0, and if it is, I'll set prime to false.

As long as a is not equal to i and a is not equal to 1, then that probably could work.

You could also probably get far by checking a in the range of 1 to 20, as well as verifying the two conditions above. That should cover a large quantity of prime matches, though you'll have to adjust the range as needed.

s3klyma wrote: This is my current code, and I've triple checked the number of braces, but still it just freezes firefox. What did I do wrong?

You assumed that Javascript could handle the type of involved recursion that you're performing. Javascript runs in the memory space of the browser so, when you require a lot of it, it locks it up for a great deal of time. :)

Try reducing your primary loop to something much lower than 999999, and try the 20 range suggestion I have above. Adjust higher as needed to obtain the desired result.

Also, if you have any choice at all, I'd suggest against using Javascript.

0 0

Thank you Define! I got it after your suggestions :D

Here was the final code

var d = 0;
var prime = true;
for(i=2;i<=200000;i++){
prime = true;
for(a=(i-1);a>=2;a--){
if(i%a==0){
prime = false;
}
}
if( prime == true ){
d++;
if(d == 10001){
alert(i);
break;
}
}
}

</script>

And I will likely go back to using PHP for the challenges, but I got my php hosting account banned and haven't yet had the chance to install it locally.

0 0

s3klyma wrote: Thank you Define! I got it after your suggestions :D

No prob, man. Was interesting. :) Thanks for posting the final code, too.

s3klyma wrote: And I will likely go back to using PHP for the challenges, but I got my php hosting account banned and haven't yet had the chance to install it locally. Very precise answer. :P You've obviously been in the forums before!