Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Dynamic Allocation of Multi-Dimensional Arrays - C/C++

0 0

Hey there everyone.

I've been studying a bit of C and C++ here, especially the part of object oriented programming, and i just banged my head in a big wall. I never really needed to dynamically allocate memory for multi dimensional arrays. It would be easy if i was dealing with simple vectors with my beautiful function called malloc and pointers. See the example below:

int *a;
int i=1000;

a=(int *)malloc(i*sizeof(int))```

In c++ i'd use the **new** keyword.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could explain me how to dynamically allocate values in a 2 dimensional array both in C and C++. Yet C is more important right now. I've been looking it up in google but i couldn't understand it really well. They mention creating arrays in structs and calling it with pointers, but i'd like to see some sort of code to understand it. 

0 0

C is not really object oriented. I assume you could use some creative programming to make it seem so but that might be more complicated than what your looking for. Hope this helps.

0 0

fashizzlepop wrote: C is not really object oriented. I assume you could use some creative programming to make it seem so but that might be more complicated than what your looking for. Hope this helps.

Well, yeah, i expressed myself badly. The thing is, i'm studying more deeply c++ now because i don't like c, but it is important for me to learn that in c as well as i'll be seeing this thing in university soon. We unfortunately study c and not c++ :(

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

I believe this is how you create a multidimensional array in C/C++, though it's been a while so I could be wrong.

int i=10;
int j=1000;

//make an array with 10 sets of 1000 ints
a=(int *)malloc(i*sizeof(int*));
for(int x=0; x<i; x++)
{
    a[x] = (int *)malloc(j*sizeof(int)); 
}```
Not entirely sure if that was what you were looking for.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: I believe this is how you create a multidimensional array in C/C++, though it's been a while so I could be wrong.

int i=10;
int j=1000;

//make an array with 10 sets of 1000 ints
a=(int *)malloc(i*sizeof(int*));
for(int x=0; x<i; x++)
{
    a[x] = (int *)malloc(j*sizeof(int)); 
}```
Not entirely sure if that was what you were looking for.

Thanks a lot ynori :) That's exactly what i was looking for. I didn't realize i needed to add a double pointer (int **a). That makes it much clearer :) I'll program something soon to test this.

btw, sorry for taking too long to reply. Was away all day long. And again, thanks a lot!