Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Please Help With Folder Lock

0 0

Well, I was thinking of developing some kind of application like Folder Lock. But I have no idea what so ever on the topic.

I searched Google a lot but couldn't find a good article or anything related to it. Some website I visited said that I would have to develop driver for the application and such. Well I am not sure about what I should do.

I would like to request for some links to websites giving information and also e-books if available.

By the way, I'm going to code it in C++.

Thanks.

0 0

I think you should look at encryption. The most straightforward way I can think of is to encrypt the files you want to be locked, and then have a password need to be entered for them to be decrypted. Then you can have several files compressed into one, therefore having a folder-effect.

That's just my way though, you'll probably get some better suggestions from other members.

0 0

best way for you I think would be to make some sort of filesystem on a file. This doesn't need a driver or anything so long as you your app can create a folder.

So… you have a file called "encrypted" run program X on it and you get a folder called encrypted will all that crap in it.

Now all you need to do is work out how to encrypt "encrypted".

0 0

I have experimented with encryption alot. But unfortunately, that is not what i need here. For example, encryption would take a lot of time. (or atleast a little time);

Just give a try on the application called FolderLock. Its instant. It can lock folders, make it invisible, make it visible but read only/ visible but inaccessible

I checked the access rules, checked for ADS, scanned registry for some kind of information but nothing.

when i made the folder invisible, it was like the folder never existed.

How is it done?? Please help…

here is the link to my application where i tried encryption. It is not a standard encryption. I did it few years ago when i had free time during school vacation.it has a lot of bugs but still i like it as it was one of my first real application.

http://download.cnet.com/FE4/3000-2381_4-10851483.html

0 0

that's really not the aim here.is it..

i was not thinking of making something like winrar. Of course winrar is a great way to protect files but here too comes the "time" factor.

See how much time you take to rar a 2GB file

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]DMWM wrote: that's really not the aim here.is it..

i was not thinking of making something like winrar. Of course winrar is a great way to protect files but here too comes the "time" factor.

See how much time you take to rar a 2GB file

About five minutes. But you think encrypting it will be any faster?[/quote] Truecrypt can decrypt, from my experience, about 240 gb in about two seconds.

0 0

http://www.xoslab.com/download.html

This was the program I was talking about…

About True Crypt.. I have not actually used it (even though i have it installed)

True Crypt creates a volume and places files/folders in that volume after encrypting it. That means 2kb volume for 1kb file (just an eg.) to make it a hidden volume.

I am not actually interested in encryption here because i think there is no encryption done in this software. It just works on some windows programming concepts.

The Software i was talking about has some check boxes

"Accessible,Writable,Deletable,Visible"

Once you check/uncheck te boxes an press Ok, protection starts instantly..

I wanted to know how that was done as I was thinking of making such kind of an application for USB thumb drives…

0 0

i dont know if it is file permissions. but how does it hide files?

i could not find it after looking for hidden or system file or alternate data streams as i use NTFS

0 0

but the folder will be shown when using dir /a command. this one hides the folder from everything. (i have not tried viewing it in linux. this just struck me. i will check it out and see what i get. )

Anyways too tired right now… going to sleep..

0 0

DMWM wrote: but the folder will be shown when using dir /a command. this one hides the folder from everything.

We've already told you how to do this. My guess is, it gets the contents of the file you're "hiding" or whatever, encrpyts it into it's own file, stored somewhere else.. in Program Files or something.. then when you "unhide" the file/folder, it simple decrypts it and creates the file where it was before it was "hidden"

You need encryption. That's how it locks, how else do you think you prevent it being opened by other stuff?

0 0

reaper4334 wrote: [quote]DMWM wrote: but the folder will be shown when using dir /a command. this one hides the folder from everything.

We've already told you how to do this. My guess is, it gets the contents of the file you're "hiding" or whatever, encrpyts it into it's own file, stored somewhere else.. in Program Files or something.. then when you "unhide" the file/folder, it simple decrypts it and creates the file where it was before it was "hidden"

You need encryption. That's how it locks, how else do you think you prevent it being opened by other stuff?[/quote]

well i am using a very old system with 1.6Ghz AMD sempron and 640MB RAM. So inorder to copy a 1G/2G file it will take about 10 - 15 seconds. And doing encryption with it means it would take more time.

But here, everything is instant. I have not yet checked if i could find by linux. Im gonna see it right now.