Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Beginners Game Programming Group

0 0

I've recently started learning to use the XNA toolkit for game development, thanks to a tip from a new tutor at college regarding next year's project. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone was interested in putting together a small group to make simple, beginner-level games.. merely for the experience of doing it.. like a hobby-type-thing.

If anyone's interested just let me know in this thread.

It'l be using C# and the XNA toolkit, as mentioned. It wont cost anything, you can use Visual C# Express which is free, and the XNA toolkit is also free to develop games on Windows (unfortunately you have to pay for a $100 membership to develop games on the Xbox)

Programmers, Graphics Designers (for sprites/textures etc), Sound/Music (effects, background music etc) used in simple, 2D games..

0 0

Hell, I'll help out. I don't care for XNA that much but it does help out for beginners…

0 0

fashizzlepop wrote: Hell, I'll help out. I don't care for XNA that much but it does help out for beginners… Sounds good :) Like I said, it's just for fun basically.. Hopefully we'll get more replies :D

0 0

I would be interested in trying this. I don't have any game development experience or xna experience, but I do know some C#. My main language is Java, and there are a lot of similarities between the two. I think this could be a good learning experience for me. I am currently a software development student and have been looking for some more realistic programming practice. Let me know if this ever takes off.

0 0

If Eclipse has a plugin for C# I'm in.

Banned
0 0

I've experimented with Irrlicht and Ogre3D with C++, but never with XNA and C#. If there is anything I could do to help, I'd definitely try :)

KvK

0 0

I'd like to help as well, however, I have no experience with any of this. I program in Java so it shouldn't be to hard for me to learn. Hell, I'll start learning now. :happy:

0 0

tkearn5000 wrote: I would be interested in trying this. I don't have any game development experience or xna experience, but I do know some C#. My main language is Java, and there are a lot of similarities between the two. I think this could be a good learning experience for me. I am currently a software development student and have been looking for some more realistic programming practice. Let me know if this ever takes off.

hellboundhackersok wrote: I've experimented with Irrlicht and Ogre3D with C++, but never with XNA and C#. If there is anything I could do to help, I'd definitely try :) KvK wrote: I'd like to help as well, however, I have no experience with any of this. I program in Java so it shouldn't be to hard for me to learn. Hell, I'll start learning now. :happy:

I've seen a few different game programming toolkits etc, but in my honest opinion, XNA is the easiest. That's why I've chosen it to do as a hobby type thing. I've only been doing it a few days (3/4 I think) and I already feel confident enough to make simple 2D games, that's how easy it is.. and I'd never had any experience with C# before that, either.

but yeah, to the people that replied and anyone else that's interested.. just post with some of the stuff you'd be up for doing (like I mentioned we'd need someone to do sound, graphics, blah blah) and if there's enough people I'll throw together a quick+ugly freehostia phpbb or something for us to use.

KvK

0 0

I have experience in algorithmic programming using Java (Not Much), so anything similar would with C# would be great. I just hope that someone is willing to lend their Graphics Design or Sound Engineering skills. This is a hacking forum and I quite sure that there are much more programmers here than Artists. :happy:

0 0

KvK wrote: I have experience in algorithmic programming using Java (Not Much), so anything similar would with C# would be great. I just hope that someone is willing to lend their Graphics Design or Sound Engineering skills. This is a hacking forum and I quite sure that there are much more programmers here than Artists. :happy: Yeahh, if it comes down to graphics being the problem I'll hit up deviantArt.. there's always a few people willing to do sprites and such there :)

KvK

0 0

reaper4334 wrote: [quote]KvK wrote: I have experience in algorithmic programming using Java (Not Much), so anything similar would with C# would be great. I just hope that someone is willing to lend their Graphics Design or Sound Engineering skills. This is a hacking forum and I quite sure that there are much more programmers here than Artists. :happy: Yeahh, if it comes down to graphics being the problem I'll hit up deviantArt.. there's always a few people willing to do sprites and such there :)[/quote]

Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable solution. I assume that you are the producer, but I am curious as to who the game designer is. Also, will we all function as testers, or a select few?

0 0

KvK wrote: Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable solution. I assume that you are the producer, but I am curious as to who the game designer is. Also, will we all function as testers, or a select few? As designing goes, I favour the approach of someone makes a suggestion and everyone else gets to input their opinions and idea to progress it, if that answers the question of who the designer is. My plan is to have people write and test different sections each, e.g some do menus etc.. then we'll use whatever little crappy site I put together to share the seperate bits, then, either me or someone else will put the bits together into the completed game and then compile, build etc.. and upload, with full code, for everyone to test individually and make ammendments, then oncemore, the ammendments and corrections will be put together and so repeats until we end up with no (or very little) bugs.

KvK

0 0

reaper4334 wrote: [quote]KvK wrote: Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable solution. I assume that you are the producer, but I am curious as to who the game designer is. Also, will we all function as testers, or a select few? As designing goes, I favour the approach of someone makes a suggestion and everyone else gets to input their opinions and idea to progress it, if that answers the question of who the designer is. My plan is to have people write and test different sections each, e.g some do menus etc.. then we'll use whatever little crappy site I put together to share the seperate bits, then, either me or someone else will put the bits together into the completed game and then compile, build etc.. and upload, with full code, for everyone to test individually and make ammendments, then oncemore, the ammendments and corrections will be put together and so repeats until we end up with no (or very little) bugs. [/quote]

I like your democratic approach to game development. Fair and productive. As for how successful it will be, we'll see. Now, to learn C#. :happy:

0 0

KvK wrote: I like your democratic approach to game development. Fair and productive. As for how successful it will be, we'll see. Now, to learn C#. :happy: I know what you mean, it's a bit sketchy.. but I'm all in favour of democratic teamwork, ergo I'm willing to give it a try :).

0 0

Sorry to bump.

Just set up this little forum for anyone that's interested in this group. Literally just set it up in about 10-15 mins, so bare with it being ugly and whatever, and I apologise for using phpBB, but it's easier for a quick forum and it's not like anything fancy is necessary.

Anyone's that's interested in this group, sign up there. I'll start a few discussions now.

0 0

Google wave might also be helpful, plus, I can do some sound stuff. I compose music and have a studio in my downstairs to record music or voice overs. I'll join the forums right now.

Any idea on a first game concept?

Hit up my email if you'd like.

PS. I have worked with XNA before and I agree that for simple hobby like projects it will be very efficient. Also, us with, per-say, a "hacker background" can make the code as efficient as possible.

0 0

fashizzlepop wrote: Google wave might also be helpful, That's a really really good idea actually, anyone got any invites handy that they're willing to give?

As for the first game concept I was thinking some kind of arcade replica.. like pacman or space invaders? It'd be a pretty simple game that'd get us started off as a group.

SET

Peumonoultramicroscopicsilico
0 0

I'M in

0 0

I have a fair few invites. PM me the e-mail addresses of the people in this thing and I'll send them out.

Be warned though, the invites aren't reaaaaally invites, they're sort of recommendations, you won't get instant access.

0 0

I'd like to be a part of this too. As most people here seem to be i'm more of a programmer, but i have done some map/level/theme design in the past.

KvK

0 0

fashizzlepop wrote: Google wave might also be helpful, plus, I can do some sound stuff. I compose music and have a studio in my downstairs to record music or voice overs. I'll join the forums right now.

Any idea on a first game concept?

Hit up my email if you'd like.

PS. I have worked with XNA before and I agree that for simple hobby like projects it will be very efficient. Also, us with, per-say, a "hacker background" can make the code as efficient as possible.

I believe I have invites also. I used the thing for two days until I reaslized it was for more of a project sort of thing. Google wave would be perfect for this. Great thinking, fashizzlepop. :happy:

Retired
10 0

I've been learning Maya 2009, so if I can help I'm in…

0 0

Yeahh, Google Wave was a damn good idea! and Thanks, again, spy for the invitation.

yours31f wrote: I've been learning Maya 2009, so if I can help I'm in… Well I think we're planning on 2D stuff mainly, but if you can help with that you're more than welcome.

Anyone who's intersted, if you haven't already done so.. sign up to this and join the discussion (there's only one atm)