Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Visual Basic C++

0 0

I have a question for all you guys,since there are a lot of experienced C Programmers here, My Question is,Can you use Visual Basic C++ as a C compiler,is it possible to write in C using Visual Basic? I am new to C and am looking for a good C Compiler,if there are any good suggestions on compilers I would appreciate it,

Thank you, Network X

0 0

First of all, C or C++? Why not just use Bloodshed and Mingw?

0 0

I'll take a stab at deciphering what you're asking here. Are you by chance asking if the Visual C++ part of Visual Studio is capable of handling the compilation of C code only? Any C++ compiler should be able to handle mostly any C code as C++ is basically an extension of the C language. That includes Visual C++, though I personally use Bloodshed Dev C++, gotten some very weird errors from Visual C++ that it should not have given. I don't really write strictly C though, which is why I use C++ compilers, I'm sure there are C specific compilers out there for you.

0 0

When I first had to use C for class I tried to find a good compiler for Windows, and I wasn't able to. Visual C++ can understand C code, but it's not quite the same as C code. You'd have to write it as C++ and import the C libraries. You'd be best off using gcc on Linux if you can. Get a virtual machine if you don't want to install the OS.

0 0

Apophis wrote: You'd be best off using gcc on Linux if you can. Get a virtual machine if you don't want to install the OS. As fashizzlepop also mentioned: http://www.mingw.org/ Though when it's portable code, I like to check what I write to see if it works the same on Linux as well.

0 0

I'm an idiot don't read my posts.

( http://www.topshareware.com/cpp-to-c-converter/downloads/1.htm )

Assuming you are using Visio Studio you could open a new project from the file tab then from the new panel options you could select Project Types where will find cpp, c# and many other projects. Or if you want the easy way out feel free to try tools that will convert your cpp code to other formats

0 1

for god's sake. stop the leet speak already. you're hurting everyone in ways that you don't even know was possible.

0 0

I'll also be running into this problem soon. I'm taking a c class next semester, and I think they use Visual Studio as the compiler. After the VB 2008 class I had to take, I'm pretty against visual studio. Right now I've been using gcc on my linux box to test out a few things in c. I much prefer it. If you do have linux I would recommend going the gcc route.

SET

Peumonoultramicroscopicsilico
0 0

WOW why is everyone here against the .net framework. Its a powerful tool standard in vista and win 7 and most xp have it also. The framework is amazing by offering you faster/less memory wasting apps as well as auto garbage collection and simple multi threading ability. I can code anything with a gui faster then you could ever code anything in a non framework language. Linux doesn't look like its gonna take the desktop market anytime soon(not counting servers which BOW TO ALMIGHTY LINUX). Stick with languages that are providing the most power in the length it takes to code it.

0 0

SET wrote: WOW why is everyone here against the .net framework. Its a powerful tool standard in vista and win 7 and most xp have it also. The framework is amazing by offering you faster/less memory wasting apps as well as auto garbage collection and simple multi threading ability. I can code anything with a gui faster then you could ever code anything in a non framework language. Linux doesn't look like its gonna take the desktop market anytime soon(not counting servers which BOW TO ALMIGHTY LINUX). Stick with languages that are providing the most power in the length it takes to code it.

code me a gui os… 1 2 3 GO!

thats a bit of a stupid example… but it shows my point very well,

coding for speed leads to shit code. code in whats best for the job. I'm sure in some situations thats the visual crap.

You could not code anything faster than anyone else. And in many cases if you did I bet your program would suffer for the rushing.

0 0

I guess I should clarify why I don't like visual studio, and particularly VB. I'm just learning how to program, and I actually want to know what is going on in the code. I want to be able to code a gui if i need to, rather than rely on drag and drop tools. In java, coding a gui with swing and awt forces you to understand the objects you are using. Learning VB first teaches you bad habits (imho).

I have not tried any other languages in Visual Studio however. Hopefully the C/C++ compiler works better than some of the previous posters have described, because I'm going to be using it soon for a class on C.

0 0

VB teaches a lot of bad habits. My old VB teacher taught even more, and would say stuff like "C? That's like for 'super-programmers'"I haven't gotten into Ruby, but it seems like it also has really English-like code. It's all just so Auntie Marge doesn't loose her office job. It's nice to be able to have sloppy, understandable, and productive code, but for important programs it's not about speed.

Also, you can use the Visual C/C++ to compile C/C++. This works with the express too.

SET

0 0

WOW i learned coding all by my self i didn't need a teacher. (ynori lol this was sarcasm to all this teacher talk. But i enjoy your sarcasm to my sarcasm)

Also all this stupid talk about BAD HABITS. Bad habits deals with what programing language u use and the IDE you use also. Bad habits in C isn't the same as bad habits in VB or any .net language.

And the code behind making a form a form is done automatically thinks to what….FRAMEWORK. You know that little thing that makes all .net languages work from VB to VC++ VJ C#. If you wanna see how the Gui was made in VB.net all you gotta do is show all files in the solution explorer. LEARN THE IDE ….Goto projects menu and show all files. The go to solution explorer and click the + button on the form and look at the files.

Whats really going on is people all pissy that windows is the top user OS and Why program in C++ or C if you using windows when everything can be done quick and clean using a framework.

as for the the guy who said build a OS……Why cant you understand what a framework is….. Did you ever learn about a framework……I mean maybe instead of talking foolishness learn what you are talking about. I cant build a OS because VB.net Has to use the .net framework(which i probably have said more then enough times in this post).

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

SET wrote: WOW i learned coding all by my self i didn't need a teacher. Aren't you special.

Also all this stupid talk about BAD HABITS. Bad habits deals with what programing language u use and the IDE you use also. Bad habits in C isn't the same as bad habits in VB or any .net language. They aren't necessarily, but they quite often can be.

Whats really going on is people all pissy that windows is the top user OS and Why program in C++ or C if you using windows when everything can be done quick and clean using a framework. No, nobody is "pissy" about that. Visual Studio has it's uses and so does g++.

To each his own. There's no need for argument guys.

0 1

tkearn5000 wrote: I guess I should clarify why I don't like visual studio, and particularly VB. I'm just learning how to program, and I actually want to know what is going on in the code. I want to be able to code a gui if i need to, rather than rely on drag and drop tools. In java, coding a gui with swing and awt forces you to understand the objects you are using. Learning VB first teaches you bad habits (imho).

I have not tried any other languages in Visual Studio however. Hopefully the C/C++ compiler works better than some of the previous posters have described, because I'm going to be using it soon for a class on C.

I like your attitude to learning how to make GUI applications, man, since I too go through the same route, and I had some fun learning and making gui apps using Java.

However, I should point out to most people that the reason drag-and-drop tools are because of the convenience, sometimes even experienced coders use it to save time. Another reason is that it helps make coding less intimidating to beginners; in my college, to them, they don't want to know how to import libraries, they just wanted to make something shiny without much effort and time.

Note that while some of them are from comp-sci and electrical engineering, others are from non-technical courses, so it is especially useful to them.

I took both VB and Java classes in the same semester, and I walked out with B's. Both professors are professional programmers before they became academics, so at least mine didn't think that C is a "super-programmer" language, since they've cut their teeth on those a long time ago.

SET

0 0

Fuser

you can make custom controls in .net also….its not all drag and drop. You can make a control from complete scratch or on the fly, shape a control using GDI+, or make a control that has no shape at all. VB.net is just as strong as any other programming language. The big difference (other then it requires framework) is it eases coding by making all the simple things that took hours to code simple drag and drop. Its the future …. share….. thats whats happening with .net languages. Make it easier on coder and dev alike by providing code others have made and also allowing you to create your own unique stuff. Now we can all say its cheap but really i mean we can say C++ is cheap and assembly is the only non cheap way since nothing is provided for you.

(PS i know you didn't say it was cheap).

0 0

People who haven't done memory managing in C don't understand shit.

It's an analogy.

0 1

SET wrote: Fuser

you can make custom controls in .net also….its not all drag and drop. You can make a control from complete scratch or on the fly, shape a control using GDI+, or make a control that has no shape at all. VB.net is just as strong as any other programming language. The big difference (other then it requires framework) is it eases coding by making all the simple things that took hours to code simple drag and drop. Its the future …. share….. thats whats happening with .net languages. Make it easier on coder and dev alike by providing code others have made and also allowing you to create your own unique stuff. Now we can all say its cheap but really i mean we can say C++ is cheap and assembly is the only non cheap way since nothing is provided for you.

(PS i know you didn't say it was cheap).

You really are a .NET advocate, aren't you? I don't have any problems with you whatsoever, just couldn't help noticing. Note that I didn't say VB is a lame language, I just said VB is helpful for novices in computing (such as students from genetics and business who always need my help in their code) to technical students too lazy to learn coding.

Each to their own, but I respect your opinion, since you seem to know a lot about the .NET framework.

SET

0 0

LOL but thats putting down the language (novice,lazy). How is VB a lazy mans programing language? Just because it has a optional drag and drop interface……

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Seriously guys. If you want to debate start a new thread. That's not the purpose of this one.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: Seriously guys. If you want to debate start a new thread. That's not the purpose of this one.

It's kind of relevant, even for the OP.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Compromise wrote: It's kind of relevant, even for the OP. Relevant or not, it's a new topic and the OP is no longer involved or being addressed in any way in this new conversation. Let's keep threads on their original topic.