Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

What should i do next??

0 0

I am learning c++ but my problem is i don't know what to do next. I know how to use pointers, classes etc… in C++ but i haven't written a real program, only assigments from the university(calculating arithmetic means, mean deviation etc)…

What should i do?

Thank you

0 0

In all seriousness, why did you learn c++? If it was just for uni, then your objective has been completed. If you learnt it for other reasons as well my suspicions are that you wouldn't be asking this question.

0 0

\0

0 0

jelmer wrote: \0

??

Surely you can manage more than just a null byte!?

0 0

Perhaps you can check out how to design and implement GUIs if you don't know how already. Or you can just go deeper into C++ features like polymorphism or abstraction. That's if you don't know much about those already.

0 0

SSJ5 wrote: but i haven't written a real program, only assigments from the university(calculating arithmetic means, mean deviation etc)…

What do you think a "real" program is? What do you think is required to make one of these programs? Learn some of these things and start applying them.

0 0

write a Unix shell with signal handling and job control. and some built in commands.

0 0

Apophis wrote: What do you think a "real" program is?

I think he meant something that is practical. it would be easier to give a good idea if I knew what else you're studying.

0 0

Yes maug is right, i meant practical.

I study electrical and computer engineering

0 0

maug wrote: I think he meant something that is practical. it would be easier to give a good idea if I knew what else you're studying. I know, the point was for the OP to decide what he thinks is a practical program. If he knows what he wants, all he has to do is make it.

For somebody studying electrical/computer engineering, from what I understand a practical project for you would be to build something with a microprocessor and program it. Perhaps a simple robot, a remote control car, a USB device. There are a ton of possibilities.

0 0

I'd think coding a microprocessor would be a job for asm, not c++. As a computer engineer you'll have to learn a lot of asm anyways, so you could get going on that. Coding the gui for an OS or other program could be a good project too.

One of the best resources I found in school was talking to the techs/TA's/teachers.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

maug wrote: I'd think coding a microprocessor would be a job for asm, not c++. As a computer engineer you'll have to learn a lot of asm anyways, so you could get going on that. Coding the gui for an OS or other program could be a good project too. I coded a program for a simple robot in C. The microprocessor was designed to understand that code of course, I didn't build that component.

0 0

When I'm short of ideas for programming I usually consider what I use my computer for, and base my programs on what would make using my computer more efficient. I'd suggest just start writing code for simple programs and let the ideas come to you. Such as the logical challenge #6, I was bored so I wrote a program to calculate volume by values entered by the user. Encryption Challenge #9, I wrote a program to encode/decode text/numerical values based on the cellphone's keypad values. Then again, coding has a personality, I prefer writing programs that use mathematical expressions while others prefer working with visual styles. Find what you prefer and push off from there.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: [quote]maug wrote: I'd think coding a microprocessor would be a job for asm, not c++. As a computer engineer you'll have to learn a lot of asm anyways, so you could get going on that. Coding the gui for an OS or other program could be a good project too. I coded a program for a simple robot in C. The microprocessor was designed to understand that code of course, I didn't build that component.[/quote]

What type of microprocessor did you use?

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

cubix wrote: What type of microprocessor did you use? I don't remember anymore; that was about 5 years ago. I mostly worked with the servos and getting all the electronic components working. I just used the parts my team bought, I didn't pay too much attention to the model numbers. For the programming I already had a bit of skeleton code to work with so that piece didn't take too long to get working (just had to make it work properly with our controller).

EDIT: I looked it up. Model# is PIC18F8520 if that means anything to you. It was mounted to a nice board with pwm and relay outputs and analog and digital inputs. Was pretty user friendly.

0 0

Nice. I used to do a lot of work with Atmel's Tiny26s and Mega128s. A lot of fun there.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

cubix wrote: Nice. I used to do a lot of work with Atmel's Tiny26s and Mega128s. A lot of fun there. I'm not really familiar with those. That was my first and only experience with hardware and firmware (at least on that level of complexity anyway). It was pretty fun and interesting, but I'm still more comfortable with software.

Also, I posted a model number in the post above in an edit in case you didn't see.

Anyway, back at the OP. The point is that you have plenty of options. If you want to program something useful, just try to think of a program that you or somebody else could make use of.

0 0

cheers for microprocessors. Was basically what my senior design project was.

A PID controller for a ball and beam.

Sensor data acquisition and pwm output from a HC12. Built my own H-bridge for powering a dc motor And programmed the algorithm and gui in python that talked using the serial port to the HC-12. Good times.