Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Opinions on Java

0 0

I was wondering what users thought about programing in java, I have had to learn this in computing at college over the previous year and personally have had no problems with it, However I have heard many people comment that they find it slow and dislike it and was wondering other peoples opinions on it. I am able to program in other languages so java is really just another asset that I have.

0 0

I haven't programmed in Java, but from what I know its that it depends very much on what you want to do, whether a language is good or not.

0 0

Well, Java will soon dominate the market…

0 0

454447415244 wrote: Well, Java will soon dominate the market…

Even if it will, that doesn't make it good or bad. You shouldn't judge a language by its popularity.

0 0

c4p_sl0ck wrote: [quote]454447415244 wrote: Well, Java will soon dominate the market…

Even if it will, that doesn't make it good or bad. You shouldn't judge a language by its popularity.[/quote]

Well, it won't becomes popular from the NULL! ;)

0 0

c4p_sl0ck wrote: You shouldn't judge a language by its popularity. In case you're code for a living; you must choose a popular language… :p

0 0

Uber0n wrote: [quote]c4p_sl0ck wrote: You shouldn't judge a language by its popularity. In case you're code for a living; you must choose a popular language… :p[/quote]

True. But that doesn't necessarily mean that you should recommend the language to others and try to get more to use it. ;)

0 0

c4p_sl0ck wrote: True. But that doesn't necessarily mean that you should recommend the language to others and try to get more to use it. ;)

A single person can't affect the global situation of Java coding :p

PS. Jag har ju sagt åt dig att du ska böja dig fram och säga "Jak er snel hest" när jag sodomerar dig ^^

0 0

Uber0n wrote: A single person can't affect the global situation of Java coding :p

PS. Jag har ju sagt åt dig att du ska böja dig fram och säga "Jak er snel hest" när jag sodomerar dig ^^

No, but that's not the point. The point is that just because a language is popular doesn't mean that it's good. And as a different argument, you use GML sometimes which gets totally f*cked up in olly. That can be good, can't it? ;)

0 0

I dislike Java, it is VERY slow. If I had to choose a high level lang, it would be python.

About java dominating the market, thats impossible! Bigger projects or games are coded in C/C++ You'll never find a driver coded in Java.

Python and Ruby are also growing in the market.

Java is cool for small apps, its easy and its portable.

(btw, IMO there is a small disagreement between java and C programmers…:D:angry::happy:)

0 0

Cacc wrote: I dislike Java, it is VERY slow. If I had to choose a high level lang, it would be python.

Java is slow! 0_o Where did you find this? What were you coding in Java when you came up with this hypothesis? Are you kidding me?! You want to replace JAVA with python!!! Do you think you can do anything with python?!

About java dominating the market, thats impossible! Bigger projects or games are coded in C/C++ You'll never find a driver coded in Java.

Python and Ruby are also growing in the market.

Java is cool for small apps, its easy and its portable.

Who told you that bigger projects and games are coded in C++?! Nowadays, JAVA is everywhere (mobile, TV, airplane system, car system…)

(btw, IMO there is a small disagreement between java and C programmers…:D:angry::happy:)

I'm not saying that Java is going to replace C++ in all fields, but take a look at what's in the market and what are the market needs…

0 0

454447415244 wrote: Who told you that bigger projects and games are coded in C++?! Nowadays, JAVA is everywhere (mobile, TV, airplane system, car system…)

For security reasons Java isn't used in military aircraft. I believe Ada is used in some of the systems. Stripped down to the only necessary components for maximum security.

0 0

c4p_sl0ck wrote: [quote]454447415244 wrote: Who told you that bigger projects and games are coded in C++?! Nowadays, JAVA is everywhere (mobile, TV, airplane system, car system…)

For security reasons Java isn't used in military aircraft. I believe Ada is used in some of the systems. Stripped down to the only necessary components for maximum security.[/quote]

Okay, I'm not neglecting some particular examples… Certain levels of security are needed SOMETIMES…

0 0

454447415244 wrote: Okay, I'm not neglecting some particular examples… Certain levels of security are needed SOMETIMES…

And you have to admit, there is a charm with a whole bunch of different languages to choose from. ;)

0 0

c4p_sl0ck wrote: [quote]454447415244 wrote: Okay, I'm not neglecting some particular examples… Certain levels of security are needed SOMETIMES…

And you have to admit, there is a charm with a whole bunch of different languages to choose from. ;)[/quote]

True, but not always… You can program for example in VB.NET or you can use C#, both are similar and charming :p But can you use these 2 language everywhere and in everything you want to do?! I'm talking about Java as a good language that you can use everywhere and in everything you want to do… Java will dominate the market and you will see this soon… The big number of people who use a certain language can tell whether this language is good or not… Always there exists some particular cases, but particularity comes from ignorance and laziness…

BTW: I'm not just a Java programmer who's defending Java, I'm also a C++ programmer…

0 0

454447415244 wrote: True, but not always… You can program for example in VB.NET or you can use C#, both are similar and charming :p But can you use these 2 language everywhere and in everything you want to do?! I'm talking about Java as a good language that you can use everywhere and in everything you want to do… Java will dominate the market and you will see this soon… The big number of people who use a certain language can tell whether this language is good or not… Always there exists some particular cases, but particularity comes from ignorance and laziness…

BTW: I'm not just a Java programmer who's defending Java, I'm also a C++ programmer…

I believe that Java will be used very widely as well. But not just because it is what it is. It has gotten a firm ground now and required only a couple of MB large piece of software to be able to run on any platform. But if another language had done the same, perhaps Java would not have been so big today.

Sure, Java is very compatible and since hardware is getting better, all performance differences between languages are decreased.

My point is that if someone had implemented this idea before Java, it could have been an entirely different situation.

I believe you should learn (at least the basics) of several languages to be able to compare pros/cons. Because there is no such thing as a perfect language, not in everybody's eye.

0 0

Java is a good language to learn for a beginner wanting to grasp object-oriented programming. I know very little java, and have always talked down upon it in the past, but dude is right, it's fucking everywhere now. Mainly in web-apps, server side. That's where it has become most successful. It was initially designed for embedded systems, which it completely failed in. Well, not completely, java is used in some embedded systems, but it will never compare to the speed and power of C and assembly (in that area, anyways). They're also developing chips nowadays with a Java Virtual Machine built into one of the registers. I'm a C/C++ guy, and for managed code I prefer C# and .NET framework. I've been fighting off learning java for quite some time, but it's mentioned in most of the job requirements I've seen lately, whether its the main language required or not. I'm sure I'll learn it someday. The frameworks and libraries available for it are neverending, which is cool. It has also become very popular in the open source world, seems like most of the Apache projects are in Java nowadays. Hell they even have a distributed file system written completely in java now…although on that note, a recent survey revealed C was the most commonly used language in open source projects in '08. Old school is coming back! B)

Banned
0 0

Fuck. Java.

0 0

java may be good or whatever u say but

"IT SUCKS"

0 0

c4p_sl0ck wrote: No, but that's not the point. The point is that just because a language is popular doesn't mean that it's good. A new language would never become popular unless it's good.

And as a different argument, you use GML sometimes which gets totally f*cked up in olly. That can be good, can't it? ;) True, but I know decompilers for some versions of GM exist. (Not GM7 though… yet)

0 0

Uber0n wrote: A new language would never become popular unless it's good.

Not true. For a language to become popular it requires that it doesn't suck, not that it's good.

Uber0n wrote: True, but I know decompilers for some versions of GM exist. (Not GM7 though… yet)

But just because you can't do it with the usual tools means a large part of the ones trying to crack your apps will be too lazy to do it.

0 0

454447415244 wrote: Java is slow! 0_o Where did you find this? What were you coding in Java when you came up with this hypothesis? Are you kidding me?! You want to replace JAVA with python!!! Do you think you can do anything with python?!

Man, if you know how to write a fast java code, teach me! A couple months ago, I had to write one RSA encrypter. I had to implement it from zero. A friend told me: "I'll do it in java!" I said: "Do you want to compute 65^42147 in java?"

Ok, you're right, python can't handle the "Do anything with it" statement but IMO neither do Java. You have to choose the right tool for your work, I love how python deal with strings, its beautifull!

Who told you that bigger projects and games are coded in C++?! Nowadays, JAVA is everywhere (mobile, TV, airplane system, car system…)

C++ is the language for game development, I'm sure!

Like I said before, the right tool is ALWAYS the best tool! I'm looking forward to code a web spider, I'm going to use java. Will be painfull to implement sockets and HTTP handling in C++.

0 0

Cacc wrote: C++ is the language for game development, I'm sure! Yes, C++ is very common for game development.

For example the Gamebryo (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Empire Earth II and III, Zoo Tycoon 2, Dragonica), Allegro Library (Liero, Gusanos) and Medusa (DarkSpace MMO) game engines are written in C++, and the Irrlicht and OGRE 3D rendering engines (OpenFrag, Anarchy Online, Ankh, Earth Eternal) as well.

For tons of more examples check out http://gpwiki.org/index.php/Game_Engines

0 0

Python makes spidering pretty easy, check my article on python's HTMLParser module (not sure if its 3.0 compatible), will give you a good start.

Unless you are set with java that is :D. Java is very good, and ultimately a better platform if you do/want to use C#/C++ in the future.

0 0

jjbutler88 wrote: Python makes spidering pretty easy, check my article on python's HTMLParser module (not sure if its 3.0 compatible), will give you a good start.

Unless you are set with java that is :D. Java is very good, and ultimately a better platform if you do/want to use C#/C++ in the future.

Hey, thanks for the push! This will be a good oportunity to learn more about python!