Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

IDEA: Spreading Awareness

0 0

Naturally, I find it difficult to withhold knowledge from others, especially when I know it'd be for the greater good to inform, instead of remain silent.

Given the fact that privacy (I'll use this term because it doesn't hold too much negative stigma) in general, on the internet, is getting worse, and people are caring less and less, I feel the only way to fight the decline is by exposing others to reality. Now I understand that this is an unwise idea, because being vocal isn't ideal.

So, I would like to hear your opinions on the matter: What are some ways I could expose others to the issues of online privacy, but remain lowkey, and preferably without engaging in conversations?

I was thinking that perhaps a custom shirt with something that has enough info to intrigue the interest of others. So I wouldn't have to actually engage in asking questions, and it'd be more along the lines of subliminal messaging. For example: I'm standing in line at a store, and people behind me will have the chance to read/look at it, and maybe it'll cause them to be enlightened and think for themselves. After all, the difference between ignorance and awareness is only a thought.

But ya, please voice your opinions, thoughts, ideas, etc. Maybe this is a dumb, emotional idea? Also, It cannot promote products. Walking around with say a Tor tshirt is one of the stupidest things.

0 0

become a Tor Volunteer.

10 0

Scar0ptics wrote: become a Tor Volunteer.

Tor oh Tor, not that again. A few days ago researchers from Northeastern University published their paper based on Tor nodes activity, where they found at least 110 "misbehaving" and potentially malicious HSDirs which are used for snooping.

https://www.securityweek2016.tu-darmstadt.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Group_securityweek2016/pets2016/10_honions-sanatinia.pdf

I would advise you to check the vulnerabilities of TOR, especially those in entry/exit nodes. After that you should guess who owns these 110+ nodes and why :|

0 0

solid point as anyone can create a relay server as well.

10 9

Set up a website where you can highlight the information you think they need to know. Stick the url of your site on your t-shirt, or better still scatter those cheap business cards with the address around where the geeks hang out, even if they don't visit your site, it will make good roach material for their joints.

0 0

gobzi wrote: [quote]Scar0ptics wrote: become a Tor Volunteer.

Tor oh Tor, not that again. A few days ago researchers from Northeastern University published their paper based on Tor nodes activity, where they found at least 110 "misbehaving" and potentially malicious HSDirs which are used for snooping.

https://www.securityweek2016.tu-darmstadt.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Group_securityweek2016/pets2016/10_honions-sanatinia.pdf

I would advise you to check the vulnerabilities of TOR, especially those in entry/exit nodes. After that you should guess who owns these 110+ nodes and why :|[/quote]

Thanks for bringing this to light, though I was already aware of the flaws by design. Say, if I may ask, how did you come about this news? I frequent a few sites just to keep an eye out for things, but I can't recall ever seeing this. I'd love to expand my list of daily sites, if you're willing to share.

Huitzilopochtli wrote: Set up a website where you can highlight the information you think they need to know. Stick the url of your site on your t-shirt, or better still scatter those cheap business cards with the address around where the geeks hang out, even if they don't visit your site, it will make good roach material for their joints.

That's a great idea! I've been needing an excuse to force myself into building one.

0 0

I made t-shirts for my site, but i never got them ordered

10 0

Thanks for bringing this to light, though I was already aware of the flaws by design. Say, if I may ask, how did you come about this news? I frequent a few sites just to keep an eye out for things, but I can't recall ever seeing this. I'd love to expand my list of daily sites, if you're willing to share.

Sorry for the late response mate.

Well due to the nature of my job, we share sec news/articles between colleagues.

Reddit is a good and informative place. You should check /r/netsec /r/sysadmin /r/blackhat

Avoid /r/hacking /r/howtohack, since most the the redditors there are script kiddies (or check them just for the lolz)

Finally check the source of the articles you read. You should trust articles/posts from https://blog.kaspersky.com but not from http://imapwnyou.br. If the source doesn't seem legit, try to find related papers /journals in google scholar.

0 0

The problem with Tor is that ANYBODY can create Relay Servers and Nodes. I think all information should get routed though a verified Tor Server Node that has scripts that can check hash values and PGP to avoid any manipulation within the Node settings.