Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Nano Server

0 0

Microsoft announced a new installation option, Nano Server, a minimal footprint installation option of Windows Server. It excludes the graphical user interface, WoW64 (support for 32-bit software) and Windows Installer. It does not support console logon, either locally or via Remote Desktop Connection. All management is performed remotely via Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) and PowerShell. Microsoft engineer Jeffrey Snover claims that Nano Server had 93 percent lower VHD size, 92 percent fewer critical security advisories, and 80 percent fewer reboots than Windows Server.

Simply removing the GUI creates less system overhead, reducing the amount of system power needed to operate the server OS and improving the security significantly. Its crazy just how many exploits are geared through the systems GUI.

I know they generally don't use a GUI for high powered Linux based servers either for the same reason……so Microsoft is finally catching on.

Im sure there will be many exploits in this Nano Server too, but no where near as bad, so I'm thinking it would be neat to test it out and enable IIS and host a site for fun. Launch it via VM and see if anyone could get it up and running.

Evil Sorcerer
4,025 18

I wouldn't put a site on the box I would just give out the IP and let em at it.

Nano Server public now ? Happy to spawn a box up for "testing" :)

0 0

No not yet! I do not have the equipment to do it right now, but your right about not putting a site on it. I was just thinking about hosting a home-based site and use a free DNS service to have users test the default security.

You can download the technical Preview

Evil Sorcerer
4,025 18

I might spawn a box up using :)

Will check the preview out now.

0 0

they allow you to download just the Nano Server as is, in a .vhd filethumbs up

10 9

Fuck yeah !

We can have a weekend of live pwning, and maybe get some nice 0days to go wreak havoc elsewhere.

All eyes on Mordak. thumbs up

0 0

If you guys are excited, I'm excited. Do you mean exploits within the server itself, or the content hosted on on it?

10 9

I don't know I'm too excited to think straight.

Spawn it !

0 0

Did Mordak host anything with it?

I haven't been on in awhile as I've been busy with other nonsense. That would be fun though!

☆ Lucifer ☆
3,050 6

Aye it was amazing, you missed the best weekend ever.

0 0

Well, we need to leave it hosted! lol

rex_mundi wrote: Aye it was amazing, you missed the best weekend ever.

• or is he just saying that? ha-ha

I was thinking about launching it on a VM and hosting a site, but I am not sure if the virtual network adapters will throw me through any loops or not. I was just host a real simple site and test it out and use a free DNS service .

Evil Sorcerer
4,025 18

I havn't had chance to spawn a box up yet.

It's on my todo list :)

0 0

I need to host a virtual network with Windows 10 on a meaningless machine and have people rip it apart. Create a 'Live' virtual network for security testing and exploit discovery.

This would be a great addition to the new site, if possible.