Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Damn, HBH forums are dead :(

0 0

I remember logging onto here about 3 years ago with my old account and these forums were pretty busy, now there's barely any new stuff to reply to :( I was hoping for some good hacking discussion. Where can I get some good hacking discussion other than in IRC? Any decent forums around?

0 0

you could start one, or feel free to PM me or hit me om aim or MSN

0 0

I was considering starting something similar but it's just been done so many times in the past that I doubt it would get any traffic. Everyone who searches for "hacking forum" on Google will just end up at Hackforum or whatever it's called. I checked that out but it was full of skiddies.

Anonymous
0 0

Hackforums is full of skiddies. But this site is dead.

0 0

BufferOverflowAttack wrote: Hackforums is full of skiddies. I can't get over this "database hacking" tutorial: http://www.hackforums.net/showthread.php?tid=1361939

BufferOverflowAttack wrote: But this site is dead. If you think that, why are you paying for EM? Dying, maybe, but not dead yet.

Retired
10 0

not till its sold…

0 0

I guess I'm just looking for a nice community to join with some like-minded people on board who are interested in the same stuff as me. I don't want to have to sift through reams of garbage until I find something decent to read (hackforums) but I guess that's expected of such a large forum. Maybe such a place doesn't even exist… Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

0 0

garabaldi wrote: I guess I'm just looking for a nice community to join with some like-minded people on board who are interested in the same stuff as me Join the IRC.

0 0

starofale wrote: [quote]garabaldi wrote: I guess I'm just looking for a nice community to join with some like-minded people on board who are interested in the same stuff as me Join the IRC.[/quote]

And by community, I didn't mean IRC. I've already got a few channels I frequent with some hacker types on there, but I might come to the HBH IRC as well :)

Anonymous
0 0

starofale wrote: [quote]BufferOverflowAttack wrote: Hackforums is full of skiddies. I can't get over this "database hacking" tutorial: http://www.hackforums.net/showthread.php?tid=1361939

BufferOverflowAttack wrote: But this site is dead. If you think that, why are you paying for EM? Dying, maybe, but not dead yet.[/quote]

I payed some time ago. It's not like I'm paying hundreds for it. :P True, but it's not far from dead.

Anonymous
0 0

starofale wrote: [quote]BufferOverflowAttack wrote: Hackforums is full of skiddies. I can't get over this "database hacking" tutorial: http://www.hackforums.net/showthread.php?tid=1361939

BufferOverflowAttack wrote: But this site is dead. If you think that, why are you paying for EM? Dying, maybe, but not dead yet.[/quote]

I payed some time ago. It's not like I'm paying hundreds for it. :P True, but it's not far from dead.

0 0

starofale wrote: [quote]garabaldi wrote: I guess I'm just looking for a nice community to join with some like-minded people on board who are interested in the same stuff as me Join the IRC.[/quote] Great solution; so, why is the forum here then, to look pretty? First everybody is telling everybody about getting on the irc because it needs more activity, so everybody moves over there and now people bitch about how there is no activity on the forum. What a bunch of fucking geniuses.

As for the OP, that's funny, I don't recall a bunch of fantastic threads with interesting discussions three years or so ago. I recall some decent threads, a lot of "plz hlp wiv chllung" threads and a whole lot of fucking retard threads about hacking suchandsuch community, myspace or facebook or whatever is in at the time. We've been wanting people like that gone for a while now and we've been repeatedly telling everyone to check forum and the hbhbot for challenge help before asking. Now we seem to mostly be there, of course it'll be more quiet.

Every now and again we get some thread or shoutbox post or whatever about hbh dying or being dead whenever things go slowly for a while. It happens, so what? What does people pointing it out and bitching about it accomplish? Absolutely fucking nothing, that's what. If you have a problem with things being slow and not interesting enough, then make an interesting post. You can't? Then how about not bitching about others being just like you? If you can, then I think everyone would welcome it.

0 0

All the new people logging on to IRC, are getting insulted til they leave any way. It's a better idea to just make some topics in the forums.

0 0

COM wrote: [quote]starofale wrote: [quote]garabaldi wrote: I guess I'm just looking for a nice community to join with some like-minded people on board who are interested in the same stuff as me Join the IRC.[/quote]

As for the OP, that's funny, I don't recall a bunch of fantastic threads with interesting discussions three years or so ago. I recall some decent threads, a lot of "plz hlp wiv chllung" threads and a whole lot of fucking retard threads about hacking suchandsuch community, myspace or facebook or whatever is in at the time. We've been wanting people like that gone for a while now and we've been repeatedly telling everyone to check forum and the hbhbot for challenge help before asking. Now we seem to mostly be there, of course it'll be more quiet.

Every now and again we get some thread or shoutbox post or whatever about hbh dying or being dead whenever things go slowly for a while. It happens, so what? What does people pointing it out and bitching about it accomplish? Absolutely fucking nothing, that's what. If you have a problem with things being slow and not interesting enough, then make an interesting post. You can't? Then how about not bitching about others being just like you? If you can, then I think everyone would welcome it.[/quote]

I never said that there was a "bunch of fantastic threads with interesting discussions three years ago" but it was definitely more active than it is today. I may have found it a little more intriguing as I was younger and new to such things, but I don't suppose that played much of a part in it. Anyway, this thread wasn't about HBH dying - I was simply asking where I could find some additional discussion. I don't have a problem with this place, I'm not bitching either so I don't know where you got those ideas from.

Anyway, I think I'll give up looking for other communities for a little while. Might as well stick around for a bit, there's a lot to read and I enjoy the challenges :)

0 0

COM wrote: Great solution; so, why is the forum here then, to look pretty? First everybody is telling everybody about getting on the irc because it needs more activity, so everybody moves over there and now people bitch about how there is no activity on the forum. What a bunch of fucking geniuses. Is there some reason people can't use both? I manage it quite well.

0 0

i think part of the problem is that quite a few people just come for the challenges, and when they get stuck, they just leave. also people tend to come in waves, i was not here 3 years ago, but im sure that may have been during one of these "wave". this could all be completely wrong though.

0 0

garabaldi wrote: I never said that there was a "bunch of fantastic threads with interesting discussions three years ago" but it was definitely more active than it is today. I may have found it a little more intriguing as I was younger and new to such things, but I don't suppose that played much of a part in it. Anyway, this thread wasn't about HBH dying - I was simply asking where I could find some additional discussion. I don't have a problem with this place, I'm not bitching either so I don't know where you got those ideas from.

Anyway, I think I'll give up looking for other communities for a little while. Might as well stick around for a bit, there's a lot to read and I enjoy the challenges :) Well the part about there actually being many good threads was implied as otherwise you are reminiscing about how great it was when the forum was full of absolute bullshit. So claiming that you never expressly said it doesn't exactly work as an argument here. Let's instead settle on that maybe you found all the threads more interesting, for whatever reason, when you were younger and that in light of that, perhaps it's best that it isn't like that now and we can forget that you ever even thought of it. No, this thread was about the HBH forum being dead, you know, pretty much the most central and essential part of a site such as this. Just tack on the word forum in my previous post after the word hbh and you've got the same point. These things are interchangeable and trivial semantics will not make a difference. I'd explain further but I'd essentially be making a double post of my previous one. Really? Really? You weren't bitching? Yeah, I wonder where I could have possibly gotten that idea. Could it have been the starting "Damn" in the thread's very title? Perhaps the following complaint, statement or whatever you want to call it about how the forum is dead? The sad smiley afterwards? Or perhaps it was the very content of your first post where you talk about how much better things used to be and how you were hoping for something better. Who knows? I am obviously crazy for getting the impression of you bitching. My most sincere apologies. If you need me, you'll find me making out with a dictionary.

starofale: You can't have it both ways. And I don't mean "you" as in the general sense, I mean you specifically can't have it both ways. You can't just give a solution to his issue, about wanting interesting conversations due to the forum being dead, that is nothing but "join the irc". Don't you think that might in some way have contributed? Yes, of course people can use both… theoretically at least, it seems to me that it isn't working out all too well, now is it? When people are actively using both the irc and the forum, you will have a point, except of course in that case, there is no need for that point.

Summary for all: Since people apparently can't focus their attention for three full seconds, I'll try to make this short. If activity is low in some part of the site, make an own thread, take some action and initiate a conversation. People just bringing up how something is dead, dying or coughing will not be of any decent difference, you people need to shut the hell up (at least about that). If you have nothing to say because you do not yet know enough, then good. The quiet hopefully means that you're shutting the hell up and learning something, after which you might come back and start something interesting. Every thread or post about how slow things are means that you are presumably sitting around with your thumb up your arse. So, instead, learn more, when you have questions you are allowed to ask them here. Perhaps make a little project and share it with the rest of us. Any time people take their projects off site, we all lose some. Not just the project itself, but thoughts around it, testing, improving, etc. Give something to the community and there will be life.

0 1

COM has a point.

HBH isnt just a website, its a community. you guys are the community with equal participation.

if you guys are bored and want some "action" to happen, don't solely rely on me or the other admins… take action yourself :)

theres tonnes of stuff you can initiate. why doesnt someone setup a website somewhere with a old/new version of a open source CMS … then invite others to hack it. got a CMS you've coded? host it and let others hack it. got a coding project you want to work on? post it in the forums and get a few guys together.

if people come to me with a fully setup hacking competition ready to go.. i'm more than happy to get some points involved and promote it on HBH.

0 0

Mr_Cheese wrote: COM has a point.

HBH isnt just a website, its a community. you guys are the community with equal participation.

if you guys are bored and want some "action" to happen, don't solely rely on me or the other admins… take action yourself :)

theres tonnes of stuff you can initiate. why doesnt someone setup a website somewhere with a old/new version of a open source CMS … then invite others to hack it. got a CMS you've coded? host it and let others hack it. got a coding project you want to work on? post it in the forums and get a few guys together.

if people come to me with a fully setup hacking competition ready to go.. i'm more than happy to get some points involved and promote it on HBH.

Cheesey, if I were an EM, I would +1 you for thaat post. Lol.

I might ask a friend of mine if he'd want to set up a small network with me for hacking.. If he is up for doing it with me, I'll contact you about it. B)

0 1

wicked. let me know how it goes.

0 0

That sounds like a cool idea. I wouldn't know where to start though - how do you develop something which is hackable but not a threat to the system it's hosted on? It's probably a very newbie question but it's always been something that's confused me about this place (or HTS, etc).

0 0

All the challenges on this site are simulated - they just compare your input to a list of valid answers. (afaik)

Another method is to run the vulnerable software on a virtual machine, so it (mostly) doesn't matter what people do to it.

0 0

The forum is less of a social place, and more of help space. If you want to socialize, do so in the IRC, and leave the forums to questions that require legitimate answers. Besides… IRC is more fun ;D

Ninja Extreme
0 0

garabaldi wrote: That sounds like a cool idea. I wouldn't know where to start though - how do you develop something which is hackable but not a threat to the system it's hosted on? It's probably a very newbie question but it's always been something that's confused me about this place (or HTS, etc).

starofale wrote: All the challenges on this site are simulated - they just compare your input to a list of valid answers. (afaik)

Another method is to run the vulnerable software on a virtual machine, so it (mostly) doesn't matter what people do to it.

Exactly. The web challenges are simulated, but hacking challenges that are actually realistically breaking into a machine and getting root are generally just hosted on a VM that is really locked down network wise (Locked on a one machine network, blocked outgoing, etc..). And theoretically there are always ways around that locked down VM, so often these challenges are being monitored by people who have to know what they are doing. Because that takes time and knowledge, that's why there is so little of them online at any given time and rarely seen.

Arabian wrote: The forum is less of a social place, and more of help space. If you want to socialize, do so in the IRC, and leave the forums to questions that require legitimate answers. Besides… IRC is more fun ;D

This I don't know why this concept is so hard for so many people. There is no reason to choose between IRC and the forums. It's pretty rare for someone to care enough do an in-depth code analysis over the IRC with someone who needs help, and it's just as rare to see someone ask how everyone's day is going in the forums. Each has it's own purpose.

Also, posts don't mysteriously disappear on the IRC, either. -_-

Banned
0 0

stealth- wrote: Also, posts don't mysteriously disappear on the IRC, either. -_-

Fight the system.

0 0

Mr_Cheese wrote: wicked. let me know how it goes.

He was just over today, I completely forgot about it. >_<

I have a machine I don't need anymore now that's running Windows XP, at the moment. I just need to get a few files off it, and then I could set it up. So far, the biggest problem is just getting an extra few bucks a month for one of those cheap USB modems, because I'd rather not host a machine for everyone to hack on my network, and I'm sure he would feel the same way, even if it were on a locked down vm.