Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Member Poll: Preferred OS

Retired
10 0

Since I voted other, and no thread was present, I made this one.

I'd have to say Fedora. Easiest to set up (from what I've tried) and was easy to find help learning it.

0 0

Arch Linux: simple, starts out basic. You really get to get familiar with Linux when setting it up and I like the package manager Pacman.

Banned
0 0

Debian, but I'll probably/might be swayed to Gentoo when I finally get to use that..

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Hmmm, am I the only one wondering why "BeOS" is even an option? Lol, I'm just not seeing who would pick an operating system that hasn't had any official development since 2000 over all the other options.

Gentoo is awesome, spy :happy:

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

stealth- wrote: Hmmm, am I the only one wondering why "BeOS" is even an option? Because it's funny I guess? I dunno, it was Samurai's idea.

Offtopic: This my 1337th post!

Too bad that really doesn't have any significance.

0 0

ynori7 wrote: [quote]stealth- wrote: Hmmm, am I the only one wondering why "BeOS" is even an option? Because it's funny I guess? I dunno, it was Samurai's idea. [/quote]

I figured the list needed something not everyone had heard of, for interest's sake.

FWIW, BeOS itself may have lost development, but there are recreation and continuation projects, including Haiku which is currently maintained.

0 1

yeah, I use Haiku on VMWare as well, pretty interesting but not something I would use on a daily basis. The same goes for Syllable, another beautiful OS which I'm afraid doesn't get much attention from the general public.

I still pine for Amiga OS, though. But since I started using Windows 7, my laptop is now machine of awesomeness.

The Manager
0 0

I Voted Debian as it is solid as a rock (as long as you know what packages to actually use ;)) Though I have used many others in the past. SuSE, Red Hat, Fedora, DSL, DVL, CentOS, FreeBSD, NetBSD to name a few. Have not tried Gentoo, however, if I ever find free time I may spark up a Virtual Machine with it on there.

0 0

Gentoo for learning, Mandriva One for a livecd, and XPLite for games and media (but you need a regular system disk since some files are not always included)

Admin from hell
0 0

Fedora for screwing around and yes folks I'm still using my own modded out version of XP pro I did a few years back. I've used win7 but don't have it quite where I want it yet, Maybe someday. :@

Ynori is finally 1337!

0 0

anything that has a terminal, don't notice the difference with linux flavours. freebsd is my preffered os if I was forced to pick one.

0 0

I've just noticed the actual poll.

So fucking shitty, The options are retarded. "unix"? I'd say out of the 50k registered members you could count on one hand how many people have ever used unix. Who the hell came up with them?

0 0

Back Track anyone?

0 0

Presently I am using Vista Ultimate.(Presently refers to 2 years, atleast). It is very slow, but I am too lazy to format my PC. Though, once in a fortnight, I pop in my Ubuntu CD to get some "feel of Linux". lol

Banned
0 0

Hehe, just realized there is no choice for Ubuntu.

0 0

btw. how do the admins compile what's in the thread in the results? Filling the results manually after seeing the posts or any other way? I don't think a keyword system would be present, it would be too inefficient and……..inaccurate.

Banned
0 0

goluhaque wrote: btw. how do the admins compile what's in the thread in the results? Filling the results manually after seeing the posts or any other way? I don't think a keyword system would be present, it would be too inefficient and……..inaccurate.

It's a "fun & recreation" poll, HBH isn't doing anything with the results.

The Manager
0 0

spyware wrote: Hehe, just realized there is no choice for Ubuntu.

gasps Spy, is that really you…You know just as well as I do…Ubuntu is NOT an OS…it is a flashey GUI on top of a butchered OS…

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]goluhaque wrote: btw. how do the admins compile what's in the thread in the results? Filling the results manually after seeing the posts or any other way? I don't think a keyword system would be present, it would be too inefficient and……..inaccurate.

It's a "fun & recreation" poll, HBH isn't doing anything with the results.[/quote] Know that. I was thinking that the admins were compiling results in tabular form, you know.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

spyware wrote: Hehe, just realized there is no choice for Ubuntu. Ubuntu is there. It's under "Debian".

The Manager
0 0

ynori7 wrote: Ubuntu is there. It's under "Debian". I have only one word that describes this post…WRONG… True Ubuntu is based off Debian…however, as I posted (on page 1 bottom), Ubuntu is NOT a true OS…they butchered Debian to make it "User Friendly" and in all honesty having to su ~ anything root is just plain stupid.

0 0

AldarHawk wrote: [quote]ynori7 wrote: Ubuntu is there. It's under "Debian". I have only one word that describes this post…WRONG… True Ubuntu is based off Debian…however, as I posted (on page 1 bottom), Ubuntu is NOT a true OS…they butchered Debian to make it "User Friendly" and in all honesty having to su ~ anything root is just plain stupid.[/quote]

wah wah wah… you already said you're os of choice.

0 0

I've got to say… I am pretty stuck to Windows at the moment. But I love using virtual machines to test out different linux flavors. Haven't found one that I guess would be considered a "real" OS here though… I still like Ubuntu… LOL

0 0

I can't vote. But my favorite is Debian. Although I have some great experience with slackware as well. But in the form of backtrack.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

AldarHawk wrote: Ubuntu is NOT a true OS…they butchered Debian to make it "User Friendly" Which is why it's not on the list. Pay attention.

0 0

Ubuntu is an os. this poll is retarded.

0 0

I'm pretty sure that any version of Linux is prefered to be refered to as a distribution.

Atleast for me there's only a limited amount of operating systems, Windows, *NIX, BSD, OS2 and so on. It's really the kernel that makes the operating system, but that might just be my definition.

Well, as for me I've had great experiences with both Windows and Linux, but when it all comes down I'm a sucker for Linux.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: Ubuntu is an os. this poll is retarded. Come up with a better list limited to ten items.

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

MoshBat wrote: As you requested: Windows Mac Ubuntu Fedora Debian Gentoo Arch BSD Slackware Other. If we did that you guys would just bitch about Ubuntu not being an OS, so you can just live with it. It's not like this poll affects anything.

0 0

I'm not afraid to say it. My favorite os is definitely ubuntu. Simple and fast. No need to waste time configuring things on the terminal all the time. For people who can't lose time it's an awesome os.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

root_op wrote: I'm pretty sure that any version of Linux is prefered to be refered to as a distribution.

Well, technically speaking, Linux is just the kernel, while everything else that comes with it is what constitutes to the "Operating System". Although, you're right, It's generally easier to just mash it all up into one O.S called "Linux".

@ Everybody else Every time ubuntu comes up, people go on and start a flame war. Technically speaking, it is an OS. Beyond that, it's just your opinion. Everyone's entitled to their own. Can't we just end it at that and try to avoid a lock? :angry: But, yeah, in all honesty, Mosh's list probably would have fit the bigger majority of users.

root@Alpha.Oddities
0 0

Twinkee wrote: Back Track anyone?

It's backtrace now…

0 0

I run BackTrack 4 on a flash drive. On my laptop I run Kubuntu. Gentoo is really nice. But ubuntu is the only one that writes my routing table correctly. I used to manually configure the routing table, which worked only half the time. I don't know what Ubuntu does differently, but I gave up when I never found the solution for years.

0 0

MoshBat wrote: [quote]ynori7 wrote: [quote]wolfmankurd wrote: Ubuntu is an os. this poll is retarded. Come up with a better list limited to ten items.[/quote] Or just modify two tables.

As you requested: Windows Mac Ubuntu Fedora Debian Gentoo Arch BSD Slackware Other.[/quote]

+1

Much better poll.

Banned
0 0

DeafCode wrote: It's backtrace now…

wat