Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

RSS >.<

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Hey guys,

I'm a big user of RSS feeds. I use them to keep up-to-date with all the tech news and local news going on around me, and follow a few hacker blogs that post useful stuff. I usually have no problem with them, however recently I've been using my ipod to browse RSS feeds while I'm on weeks I can't readily access a computer, and I've been noticing a huge issue. Certain feeds like the Slashdot main feed and Linux Today feeds appear to have limits of 15 items in the feed at any given time. Obviously, whenever a new one comes in it pushes the oldest out. The issue is that during school days the feed seems to move fast enough that I end up missing 4 or 5 new items per day. I tried using google reader in hopes that the third party service would auto-grab them while I was away and cache them if they became pushed out, however my google reader feeds only update when I connect with the ipod app, which leaves me with the same problem as the generic RSS app.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this? I'd imagine there would be a service or something to address this issue, however I havn't found any so far.

Banned
0 0

Roll your own.

It's pretty easy to write an RSS manager in PHP.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Well, that's my backup plan. I was hoping for a easier method, as I'm pretty strapped for time lately with school and I've havn't really taken the time to learn PHP thoroughly.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Banned
0 0

wget + cron