Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Some assistance please

0 0

I'm a bit confused about all the different password utilities, and would appreciate some opinions on what is the best to use, and why.

Im considering JTR or C&A, is one of these better than the other in any major way?

And also, is anyone able to vouch for the safty of either of these programs, last time i DL'd C&A Norton went psycho on me….. this was a while ago however.

Thanks for your help

0 0

i dont have C&A … but the reason your firewal went crazy is 1. because its norton ;) … and 2. id assume because its assuming they are viruses considering they are password crackers. idk for a fact though, i just know when i downloaded some stuff like that my firewall said it was a virus.

i know JTR is the best for DES (data encryption standard) cracking… and what ive heard about CAIN its great for everything BUT des… so i hope that answers your question

–cheers

0 0

i would go with both

Banned
0 0

Accurax wrote: I'm a bit confused about all the different password utilities, and would appreciate some opinions on what is the best to use, and why.

Im considering JTR or C&A, is one of these better than the other in any major way?

And also, is anyone able to vouch for the safty of either of these programs, last time i DL'd C&A Norton went psycho on me….. this was a while ago however.

Thanks for your help

I use them both (I disabled Abel though, its basically a trojan) I can vouch for the safety of Cain and JTR- both are great.

I use them ALOT

BC

0 0

bl4ckc4t wrote:

I use them both (I disabled Abel though, its basically a trojan) I can vouch for the safety of Cain and JTR- both are great.

I use them ALOT

BC

What do you mean by "It's basically a Trojan" ? … am I putting myself at risk in any way from having it on my pc …… or do you just mean that it "looks" like a trojan to antivirus s'ware ?

0 0

The reason Cain is found to be a threat by Norton is because the capabilities of Cain, Cain has the ability to import system information such as user passwords and shit for you to crack. There is also a program that comes with Cain called WinPCap, WinPCap is a windows packet capturing tool. It allows you to catpure packets acrost your network. It allows you to monitor your network, test your network, and has some sniffers. These under norton will probally be labeld as a trojan / virus. But I gurentee you will have no problems with trojans of any kind with Cain.

On other end I would sugest both. I have only found JTR to be usefull with DES Hashes, shit you find in .htpasswd files and what not. I dont know the full functionality of JTR but I know it works best for me and DES hash's. On the other hand Cain allows much more. Things such as MD 5 / 4 / 2 hashes SHA 1/2 hashes mysql / oracle hashes "the passwords located in the mysql database under the user table" and a bunch more, and also has alot more functions built into it, not just password cracking. I myself have both. I like both and use both.

0 0

if you are going to use cain&abel,get rid of abel,it is a trojan like server. just d elete the file. it will accept incoming connections from the outside. lose it,cain is great,and safe to use. jtr is also safe,i prefer it over cain,although i use both.

peace.

Banned
0 0

Accurax wrote: bl4ckc4t wrote:

I use them ALOT

BC

What do you mean by "It's basically a Trojan" ? … am I putting myself at risk in any way from having it on my pc …… or do you just mean that it "looks" like a trojan to antivirus s'ware ?

Let me rephrase, it allows incoming connections like the following statement by dark sun states.

darksun wrote: if you are going to use cain&abel,get rid of abel,it is a trojan like server. just d elete the file. it will accept incoming connections from the outside. lose it,cain is great,and safe to use. jtr is also safe,i prefer it over cain,although i use both.

peace.

Well worded!