Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

SAM cracking

0 0

I want to crack my SAM file, just for fun and practice actually. its located in c:\windows\system32\config\ . I find it weird because this file is calles just SAM, doesnt even have an extension. Anyway, when I try to open the file in Cain & Abel, it says I cant open the file because someone is using it. I cat copy the file manually and via DOS, gives the error that its in use. What could be the problem? Does anyone maybe have a good .bat file I could copy the file with?

thx.

0 0

You could try to copy it in save mode. If that doesn't work you could try to boot with a MSDOS floppy or something like that.

0 0

yeah, I cant boot my LiveCD :s

EDIT: There's no way without booting in safe mode or with a LiveCD that I can copy the file?

0 0

well basically you cant be in windows but I think I have heard of some software that can extract them maybe SAMinside I cant be sure

0 0

superpimp wrote: yeah, I cant boot my LiveCD :s

EDIT: There's no way without booting in safe mode or with a LiveCD that I can copy the file?

Yes, there is. You can use the samdump command in the Metasploit Meterpreter, howwever this is probably unrealistic, as then you'd also have to use an exploit to gain control of the box in question.

I'd recommened that you use pwdump. A new version, pwdump6, was recently released. It no longer crashes the box randomly. I have tested it out on a Windows 2000 box and a Windows XP box, and it appeared to be quite stable.

There are also other ways to do it, such as DLL injections, etc.

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: easiest way thats my article its very easy actually

Very nice article