Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Windows Reversible Encryption

0 0

Ok, So I've did the following in order to reduce the strength of my Windows XP Pro password.

1-Run > secpol.msc

2-Security Settings > Account Policies > Password Policy

3-Store password using reversible encryption for all users in the domain:Enable

My question is How do I go about reversing my password. After googling this, I've discovered is that this basically stores the password in plain text, but I still don't understand how I would be able to view my password. I have restarted my computer. I've even dumped my passwords using fgdump, but they extracted the usual hashes. Any help is be appreciated.

0 0

-cL wrote: Boot up your box with a LiveCD, mount your harddrive and go find the SAM file. That's for grabbing the LM or NTLM hashes that Windows normally uses to store passwords. It has nothing to do with the Windows reversible encryption security policy setting, though.

I tried researching this as well and found that Microsoft does not publicly document either the encryption used or the instances in which it is used in his encrypted or unencrypted forms. You'll find speculation on some sites, though, so those might give you some clues on what to attempt or leads on more information. If you do actually find anything of worth, you should write an article.

0 0

Thank you very much Zephyr_Pure. I will continue to google this subject, and if anything turns up, I'll be sure to post it here.