Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Vista bitlocker cryptanalysis with ramdumps.

0 0

dex_poet wrote: Why not have another key for different accounts? Or another key for default/genaric things like the GUIā€¦ Also RAM should be pretty empty, they could make a ton of false keys.

Actually, why use Vista? New video games? Have any major companies actually switched to Vista?

All very valid questions. I don't know honestly, but it seems to me like a classic case of stupidity. I mean, apple and linux both have hard disk encryption software, and presumably they did things as you describe. They are still vulnerable to a RAM dump attack after login though.

About filling RAM with false keys, I doubt that would have much effect. How many keys could fit in RAM? I don't know. Even if an attacker had to try 10 000's of possible key stored in RAM, it would be relatively easy.

I don't use vista, but I bet quite a few government organizations do. And the attack isn't vista exclusive, it's just more vulnerable.

Actually, the idea of freezing and dumping RAM is quite interesting to me. I bet you could get a lot of other information that way. Of course, most times physical access is trivial anyway.