Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Linux

0 0

I'm planning to install linux. Atm I'm using WinXP SP2, can i keep win, and install linux too? And what version of linux should i choose?

0 0

Yes, you can keep Windows, using a dual boot. I personally found mandriva best for dual booting.

But if you are a Linux Noob i recomend Ubuntu (eeek i hate it) but it is the 'easiest to understand' and also comes well configured.

If you dont want Ubuntu you could allways use Mandriva wich is also well configured but you may have to search around for uncompatible hardware drivers.

0 0

How do i make a new partition on my computer? And where do i get this ubuntu? Sorry for too many questions but i'm noob:xx:

Banned
0 0

Don't install Ubuntu. Ever.

0 0

google, and google.

specifically, I have never extended a partition from a drive with an OS already installed; I always start from a fresh HDD and partition it first

as to your second question, http://www.Ubuntu.com

I personally use Xubuntu because its desktop environment is XFCE, not KDE or Gnome, so it's faster on my old hardware.

0 0

A lot of people hate Ubuntu but really it's a decent distribution. It has great hardware support, great if you're a laptop user. It's easy to use, great if you're not in the mood for manually twiddling the bits on your hard drive with a magnet. It has a great community there to help you if the case arises.

Being devil's advocate Gentoo has nice hardware support too given that you try a little harder. It's got an equally great community behind it. It may not be quite as easy to use off the bat, but it quickly gets customized to exactly how you like that.

Personally I do run Ubuntu on my laptop, I've had it install for close to a year now. I've customized it to hell and back, you'd have to look pretty damn hard to see it's Ubuntu. There's nothing that I've wanted to do on it that I haven't managed to do because of the distribution I chose. The one thought niggling away is that had I picked Gentoo I'd know more about Linux than I currently do.

0 0

Well, all things considered, Ubuntu is a pretty good distro. Especially for Linux noobs porting across from Windows. Normally I'd recommend the Kubuntu variant, since I prefer KDE over GNOME, but that's a personal preference thing.

And since Ubuntu is a LiveCD (like most distros), it let's the user try it out before they install it. A great feature for newbies. It's like using trial ware, but you don't have to use a torrent to get the full version.