Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Vista or not vista on my laptop?

0 0

Hello gentlemen!

I want to buy a laptop to use it for WLAN hacking and other things. But if you look at hardware it is optimized to run Vista.

What i want to know: is Vista a good hacking platform, is it a great resource eater?

Here are the specs of the laptop:

1GB DDR2
120 GB HDD 
WLAN 802.11a/b/g
DVDRW
Video: 8400 GT
Vista Home Premium```

0 0

Fritzo wrote: NOT!

Vista Eat 30% of your Ram…

It's Firewall blocks everything so it's impossible to do anything online with it. I'm online. Besides, they upgraded Paint, and removed the Run Button by default. The Run button is now a search box that you can still type stuff like notepad.exe and it runs. Vista have installed Spyware for you! (Norton) Uninstall it. Vista Can Go Kill itself.

I use Vista, I didn't want it but it costs an extra $150 to get it removed from my laptop. My specs are pretty good: AMD Turionx2 2.2 Processor 180g hdd 2g ram 802.11 a/b/g DVD RW

So i just left it and have had no problems so far.

0 0

one of the most annoying things with vista is that telnet isn't even installed by default! but then again, people like us probably use Putty, but still…

0 0

vista will eat a laptop battery in 40 mins. does that aswer your question?

0 0

DrOptix wrote: Hello gentlemen!

I want to buy a laptop to use it for WLAN hacking and other things. But if you look at hardware it is optimized to run Vista.

What i want to know: is Vista a good hacking platform, is it a great resource eater?

Here are the specs of the laptop:

1GB DDR2
120 GB HDD 
WLAN 802.11a/b/g
DVDRW
Video: 8400 GT
Vista Home Premium```

Similar specs to my laptop actually.

I think you should just dual boot Linux and Windows

0 0

mr noob wrote: vista will eat a laptop battery in 40 mins. does that aswer your question? ooh forgot about that, that pisses me off every time i go war"walking"

0 0

Try it before you trash it.

I have a few laptops and I enjoy most of my adventures on my old dell with xp. I bought a new one with vista basic and I have played with ultimate. Honestly, I prefer XP to vista and several distros of linux to XP.

Try it and see if you like it. If it turns out that you don't like it, you can always install a different OS.

If you'd rather not spend the cash before you know for sure, just spend some time lurking in your local Best Buy, Office Max, whatever, and play with the displays.

0 0

this is simple to answer:

first ask yourself how many things you want to install that you get online(ex: john the ripper, ollydbg, etc.)

if your answer is 1 or more dont get vista

vista shuts itself down from using just about anything ive got from online including JR or olly

goddamn u vista

0 0

DO NOT INSTALL VISTA!!!

I know because I use it @ school, it eats up OVER 600MB RAM just SITTING STILL! Logon takes even longer than XP (if you can believe that) and, especially on a laptop, it will TOTALLY SLOW DOWN YOUR SYSTEM. The box I use it on is a 3.2ghz with 1mb ram… XP on a 1.5ghz laptop is 512mb ram opens apps TWICE AS FAST AS VISTA.

And he's right, it does not come with Telnet installed. The "security" features are extremely annoying, and do more to prevent you from using your programs than actually securing your box.

Also, FIREFOX DOES NOT WORK WITH VISTA!!!

Basically, Vista is an even more bloated version of XP with about 5x the system requirements. If you want hacking, stick with XP. It's what everyone writes software for, so it's well-supported, and its easier, faster, (safer?), and generally a hell of a lot less annoying to use.

But don't go by my word. I know at least 1 out of 2000 people actually like Vista, so if you're one of those oddballs then maybe it's for you… :p

Also, it's been proven that Vista cuts down your battery time by AT LEAST 20%, UP TO OR OVER 45%!!!

For a laptop, I'd say go with a Linux distro. Speed and power, with very low hardware requirements, or, if you need windows, just stick with XP. Personally, I prefer "XP Pro Performance Ed. Crack," which is just that; a crack of XP with all the $hitware taken out.

0 0

well then i will buy it test it. Test Vista to see how things works, if i don't like it, here i exclude the GFX because i don't get an OS for GFX, i will install my WinXP Retestrack with SP2 full hacked or BackTrack 2.

Or can you suggest another distro of Linux who is good for audit networks

0 0

My mates got Vista home premium and he uses firefox :S

Anyway to my point.

I personally dont like vista because:

It stops you running programs, but i have never seen it stop a malicious application.

It argues with you alot

The only way to get anywhere near the performance of an XP box is to turn everything off, even then its still slow and annoying.

It looks crap. but if you like it your better off getting an Icon set and a vista theme for XP, it actually runs faster.

after all said and done though, if we all went by this we would all still be using windows 95 (perhaps some of us here do?) So give it a shot, thats the best way to find out if its any good or not, test it, play with it, then if its shit just go back to XP or whatever you were using.

As for someone saying it costs $150 to remove Vista.. what the hell are you onnabout? download a windows 95 floppy disk, boot it and run fdisk and format!

The Localhost Hacker
20 0

ThorsDecree wrote: I use it on is a 3.2ghz with 1mb ram

Also, FIREFOX DOES NOT WORK WITH VISTA!!!

Also, it's been proven that Vista cuts down your battery time by AT LEAST 20%, UP TO OR OVER 45%!!!

1mb of ram? i think we found your problem :p

Firefox DOES work with Vista im using it right now…

My battery last for about 3 hours and its only a 6 cell :/

I've used Vista for about 6 months now and the only problems i've found are

1. Some things like telnet and run are disabled by default link someone said but thats only for the reasons of security and you can activate them in about 3 clicks on your mouse…a 3 year old could do it
  2. The user protection thing that pops up its is really annoying but again its for security and it can be disabled jsut as easily as creating a new account…

I would say Microsoft are just being "security wise" and whats wrong with that as Vista is for the average home computer not just computer experts and that.

I would say try it atleast and if you dont like it just install XP or dual with Linux but Vista isnt as bad as some people are saying :happy:

0 0

lol meant 1gb ram… I'm not running it on a modded Commodore or anything rofl

Of course, my vista experience is a bit snubbed by lacking admin on it… but it is very annoying, and, at least in my opinion, anything that consumes 600MB RAM (or a minimal half gig sitting idle right after boot rofl) is NOT a good product.

'course, I hate Windows anyway… at least the instability. Vista has not bluescreened for me yet, or had any major hangs… just crashed a few of my apps from time to time.

I say go with XP. Don't bash Vista unnecessarily, but don't use it if you can avoid it.

And fx works with vista nowQ When did that happen?

My advice: Dual-boot XP Performance crack with a good linux distro like Debian, FC, or Slackware. For maximum power go with something like Xubuntu… I like the XFCE desktop a lot and it runs much faster than KDE… then again, with a gig of ram, I don't suppose it matters much… hmm… Just my $0.02 lol

0 0

PureEvil wrote: As for someone saying it costs $150 to remove Vista.. what the hell are you onnabout? download a windows 95 floppy disk, boot it and run fdisk and format! Why the fuck would i want windows 95?

If you try to erase vista incorrectly (above method) it fucks up the drivers and you can't even use your laptop.

At Fry's which is where i got my laptop, they charge 120-150 dollars depending on your laptop specs to remove vista correctly so as to not fuck up your computer.

So STFU when you don't know what your talking about.

Banned
0 0

end3r wrote: So STFU when you don't know what your talking about.

Hehehe, hehe. You never saw this post.

0 0

end3r wrote: Why the fuck would i want windows 95?

If you try to erase vista incorrectly (above method) it fucks up the drivers and you can't even use your laptop.

At Fry's which is where i got my laptop, they charge 120-150 dollars depending on your laptop specs to remove vista correctly so as to not fuck up your computer.

So STFU when you don't know what your talking about.

end3r, dude. There is no 'correct' way to remove vista. Just format. Your drivers are going to be gone anyway, it's just up to you then to find the correct drivers for your hardware that will work with your next operating system.

0 0

@end3r for someone who keeps going on about how hbh sucks so much and that now dmz is back up your leaving this place, you dont seem to be leaving any time soon

Banned
0 0

koolkeith12345 wrote: @end3r for someone who keeps going on about how hbh sucks so much and that now dmz is back up your leaving this place, you dont seem to be leaving any time soon

Threadsteal +1

But you have a point though, maybe you should make a topic entirely devoted to the "leavage" of end3r.

0 0

spyware wrote: But you have a point though, maybe you should make a topic entirely devoted to the "leavage" of end3r.

yeah, it could be like one of those 'toasting' parties or whatever they're called, where everyone makes fun of the guest of honour :P

Banned
0 0

ViralCoder wrote: yeah, it could be like one of those 'toasting' parties or whatever they're called, where everyone makes fun of the guest of honour :P

Threadsteal+2

I don't need a party to make fun of end3r. And again: please don't post off-topic, how fun it may be.

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]ViralCoder wrote: I don't need a party to make fun of end3r. And again: please don't post off-topic, how fun it may be.

geez, no wonder they call you gardian of the fora.

yeah anyway [ontopic] I have vista installed on my laptop, and although it has taken me a while to tweak it to the point where it works well for me. Firefox does seem to crash quite often in Vista though. And a few games actuallly have 0% vista support, there is no way to play them in vista.

My advice is, stick with xp till the vista serivce pack comes out

0 0

@koolkeith, because DrOptix has a brain, and is a friend of mine, therefore I'd like to help him out and correct any idiots who think they've got one up on me when again, they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

A leavage thread shows just how mature this community is. It's a shithole full of skids and idiots.

0 0

end3r wrote: @koolkeith, because DrOptix has a brain, and is a friend of mine, therefore I'd like to help him out and correct any idiots who think they've got one up on me when again, they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

A leavage thread shows just how mature this community is. It's a shithole full of skids and idiots.

shut up

but yeah doctor dont get vista

maybe in a year or two

but right now i dont think its worth it

0 0

end3r wrote: A leavage thread shows just how mature this community is. It's a shithole full of skids and idiots.

And I am guessing you are leaving now

0 0

sleazoid wrote: yeah doctor dont get vista

maybe in a year or two

but right now i don't think its worth it

the problem is that the laptop come with Vista, is preinstaled, and i was like what to do leav it so or change to OS. But i think i will change the OS and keep the license xD

and as a first offtopic thing from me i want to ask you all to not post things like "end3r is leaving" in a thread about something technical, well you get my point.

If you want to fight and bitch please use another thread in the off topic section, i'm bored to see threads with >10 posts like "stfu ", not stfu u" etc

for all of you thanx for support

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

ThorsDecree wrote: Also, FIREFOX DOES NOT WORK WITH VISTA!!!

You sir, are an idiot.

Of course Firefox works on Vista, how do I know? Because I'm fucking using it right now…

0 0

system_meltdown wrote:

You sir, are an idiot.

Of course Firefox works on Vista, how do I know? Because I'm fucking using it right now…

pwnd!!!!!

but yeah vista isnt good yet…. you NEED 2 gigs or ram and something in/near the 8800 gfx card range to be able to enjoy dx10 with a decent framrate

0 0

koolkeith12345 wrote: but yeah vista isnt good yet…. you NEED 2 gigs or ram and something in/near the 8800 gfx card range to be able to enjoy dx10 with a decent framrate

ok, but you would need a decent card like that in xp as well to play modern games at decent frame rates.

To me, performance issues in Vista are the least of my worries. I'm not a scientist who needs every last flop of power from their cpu, so what if my pc takes a few milliseconds longer to load up?

My main issues with vista are mainly centered around it's idiotic and bloated gui, which seems to require you to end up having 3 windows open on your desktop just to do something simple.

Microsoft has tried to dumb down their os, and in the process created a disaster of gui design

0 0

Hey, now, system, I did not know fx worked on vista. I tried portablefirefox on the vista boxes @ school and it tries to load then crashes… GIMP does too

I was basing the thing about firefox on my portable experience and another forum where there were over 20 posts saying "firefox doesn't work in vista/ crashes after load"

so no, I'm not an idiot, I was either misinformed, or a new fx version works on vista.

I would be an idiot if I said that without any personal experience with the subject.

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

ThorsDecree wrote: Hey, now, system, I did not know fx worked on vista. I tried portablefirefox on the vista boxes @ school and it tries to load then crashes… GIMP does too

I was basing the thing about firefox on my portable experience and another forum where there were over 20 posts saying "firefox doesn't work in vista/ crashes after load"

so no, I'm not an idiot, I was either misinformed, or a new fx version works on vista.

I would be an idiot if I said that without any personal experience with the subject.

You just made the most hypocritical statement ever…

You said "I would be an idiot if I said that without any personal experience with the subject." when clearly you haven't had any personal experience with the subject…you've had experience with FIREFOX PORTABLE.

If your original post would have said "Firefox portable doesn't work on vista", then fair enough. But, you didn't. You just said firefox doesn't.

And in this latest post where you've said you have had personal experience with it, you've made a hypocritical statement by talking about a different matter. If you wanted to dig yourself out of a hole, at least get your own facts straight.

0 0

good point… I guess that makes me a Puritan, huh? You're right; I should take more time when composing posts, at least for clarity both ways.

Python Ninja
0 0

hit me up on MSN about vista-ultimate-lite.

i've run it, it's not too bad, doesn't crash even nearly as much as vista (official)…

honestly it's just XP really, witha few quirks, but you won't have to upgrade eventually, and it's patched and modded up good.

DX10 too.

0 0

richo i'll do if i need help. and thanx for the support

0 0

Fritzo wrote: NOT!

Vista Eat 30% of your Ram…

It's Firewall blocks everything so it's impossible to do anything online with it.

Besides, they upgraded Paint, and removed the Run Button by default.

Vista have installed Spyware for you! (Norton)

Vista Can Go Kill itself.

but you can get programs that help vista use less RAM, you can get a different firewall, and holding windowskey + r gets you to the run menu. and if you don't like norton, get avast, they both work great for me. I'm not saying it's amazing, but it isn't bad. Linux is better though

0 0

Hansophobia wrote: but you can get programs that help vista use less RAM, you can get a different firewall, and holding windowskey + r gets you to the run menu. and if you don't like norton, get avast, they both work great for me. I'm not saying it's amazing, but it isn't bad. Linux is better though

Dude, quit bumping threads with negligible posts. This one was dead 2 months ago… leave it be. Again, expect thread lock.