Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

VMWare help

0 0

I'm using VMWare on WindowsXP for several things, one of which is so I can run a Linux/Unix for certian programming projects. My problem is, I have no idea how to access the files on my computer from the "virtual machine" in VMWare Player. I have looked around but I just keep finding ways to "install" OSs.

Woudl anybody be able to tell me?

Thanks, Reaper

0 0

I used VMWare for a while, i do not believe there is a shared hd option, what you probably have to do is stash them in an email to yourself and download them or something. the best solution of course is to get another computer for linux, but odds are good you dont have money jusy laying around. sorry mate

0 0

Actualllly… I do have an old laptop… I just don't want to put a linux on it untill I'm sure how to use one and such… also I have no idea how :]

and Fair enough, thanks anyway…

Reaper

0 0

pm me if you want and i can help you figure out the linux problem for your old box. :D

0 0

I've actually had to tackle this problem more than once before at my current job. The easiest option would be to share a directory on your XP box and use smbclient in Linux to access the share from within your virtual machine. You might have to play with the networking choices in VMWare or add a second IP to your NIC in Windows XP, but that's the part you get to do yourself. ;)

Edit: You could also start a SSH server on the virtual Linux install and use WinSCP in Windows XP to copy the files to your virtual SSH server. B)

[TheN00bHacker]
0 0

i use the Virtual PC 2007 from microsoft… and theres an option to install 'Virtual Machine Additions' where it allows u to click and drag files from one to the other and they share the same clipboard as well… i've tried vmware and didnt like it too much

0 0

Using the Vmware networking options you should be able to set up the VM to your network as if it were another PC also connected, I believe there is also a way of mapping a directory as a drive in the VM. That might not of been VMware, but i know its possible.

0 0

Easiest way is to, as previously stated, share a folder or (what I do) run an ftp server on the host machine. Of course the ftp server could be on the VM, but installing it on the host means you don't need to install it on every single VM to talk to the host.

0 0

Thanks guys… I've finally got it working… now I just need to find a good linux/unix that's not too big and is appropriate for me lol :]

And tips would be nice :]

Thanks, Reaper

0 0

reaper4334 wrote: Thanks guys… I've finally got it working… now I just need to find a good linux/unix that's not too big and is appropriate for me lol :]

Thanks, Reaper

Elaborating on "appropriate for me" would be nice, if you actually want useful tips.

0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote: [quote]reaper4334 wrote: Thanks guys… I've finally got it working… now I just need to find a good linux/unix that's not too big and is appropriate for me lol :]

Thanks, Reaper

Elaborating on "appropriate for me" would be nice, if you actually want useful tips. [/quote]

Sorry… I thought I had, but I just realised that wasn't in this thread hehe.

Well… I don't know… something useful for programming (mainly C++, Python & Perl)… maybe with some good programming resources?

Thanks, Reaper

0 0

reaper4334 wrote: something useful for programming (mainly C++, Python & Perl)… maybe with some good programming resources?

Well, most flavors of Linux that I know of come with built-in support for C++ (gcc) and Perl scripting. Some give you the option to install Python's packages during the initial install. If not, Python can be added to any of them quite easily.

As far as "good programming resources", I'd imagine you'll still be learning through online searches and e-books.

So, basically, the answer is, as always… you have to choose a Linux distro that you're comfortable using. After that, you can mold it into whatever you need to use it for.

I would make a few recommendations as possible starting points (Fedora Core, Red Hat, Debian, etc.), but I don't want this thread to turn into another "what's your favorite Linux distro" thread. So, just do some reading up, check out ones that sound like they interest you (from other's opinions and such), and go from there.

Link for getting some feedback on Linux distros: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Linux&btnG=Google+Search

Link for starting out with Linux programming: http://hari.literaryforums.org/2006/12/11/basic-tips-for-linux-programming/

Hope that helps some.

0 0

Thanks for the help man… I'll look into a few distros

Hope I wasn't too much of a burden

Thanks, Reaper

0 0

Not a bother at all… You simply asked questions. That's what the forum is here for. ;) Feel free to ask for any further advice.